No announcement yet.

What makes a Good Assault level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erm... i kinda have been adding detail to mine, but only when i got stumped on a problem involving BSP and whatnot, and it's all just misc wallpanels, is that OK? I plan to redo them later anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCrack
      Erm... i kinda have been adding detail to mine, but only when i got stumped on a problem involving BSP and whatnot, and it's all just misc wallpanels, is that OK? I plan to redo them later anyways.
      If you plan to redoe them later anyway, it shouldn't matter.

Comment

i like keeping topics on first page...........

Comment

The main problems with assult map I find are the map exploits and impassable choke points.
          A good exapmle is Convoy. I like the map but if you have 2 really good defenders it can be tough even getting moving. The turret closest to the spawn point is too close, a good defender will rip you apart when you try and leave the spawn area and it can be difficult to take out.
          Another explot is a small area, right near the spawn point where a defender can go on the offensive and just sit tight, unseen and unreachable by the attackers but in a good position to shoot you in the back if you get past the turret!

Choke points can be cool for some intense battles but its annoying when the defenders can easily keep you at a stand still. Spawn - hit choke point - die - spawn...

Comment

Originally posted by cosmicnut
            Choke points can be cool for some intense battles but its annoying when the defenders can easily keep you at a stand still. Spawn - hit choke point - die - spawn...
            To get through a choke point requires teamwork and an all out "charge" towards the defenders, plus you can always go over the top to avoid it completely and hope you dont get picked off by a sniper ...

the sods who shoot u in the back by camping near the turret can be taken out again with teamwork, person 1 gets nailed and spins camera around to see from where then teamsays their location. Before you know it, the camper has 100 rockets up his *** ...

Comment

I agree there are normally tactics that work at choke points, etc. My problem is that on some maps there is only 1 way to get from A-B and the snipe point on convoy cannot be seen by the attackers until you get a bullet through the brain, you can get them with a well timed AR grenade but your still trying to dodge the turrets so it's tough.
              Basically there are points on SOME maps where it's almost impossible for one side to complete/defend an objective.
              To make a perfect AS map you need to have a really good balance at all points on the map

Comment

Cosmicnut - there's a turret for the attackers as well, VERY close to the first spawn point. Use it to distract the defender's turret. All you need is 1 person to man it and then the defenders have 2 options:
                1) Return fire to the attacking turret making it much easier for the attacking team to get to the bridge
                2) Continue taking out the attacking members, which eventually leads to them loosing the turret.

Comment

shieldgun is your friend at chokepoints

Comment

That defender turret is easy to get rid of - as soon as you spawn, get outside (left exit) and fire all your rockets at the **** thing with some sniper cover to pick off the defending snipers - once that's blown it's time to go over the top with cover from the attacker's gunner distracting the attacker's rear gunner (the one near the forward weapon cache) - it's all about teamwork.

As for the other maps and their choke points, I only wish it was that easy to bypass (although you can go over the girders in Glacier to avoid the attackers but then you're pwned as soon as you step inside either corridor to proceed to the core thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
                      Rather than starting with a subtracted-brush, start off with a pencil and paper. It’s much better for throwing ideas around.
                      You know, like they used in the olden days.
                      And one last thing to remember: KISS - KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.
                      To be honest, using pencil and paper is VERY restrictive unless you've got an extraordinary sense of space... which is pretty hard in a game where scale is so deformed (FOV 90 does that to all games)
                      I find it much easier to "draw" in 3d. So long as you stick to single-texture BSP it's just as easy to erase parts you don't like as pencil and paper.

Comment

Working...
                      X