No way can I sleep in this :sour:

Comment

grid.org > folding@home

Comment

Originally posted by DrThodt
        grid.org > folding@home
        Explain yourself :weird:

Comment

I think searching for a cure to cancer is more important.

Comment

been using fold@home for at least at a week now.

Comment

/joined

ML :up:

Comment

Originally posted by DrThodt
                I think searching for a cure to cancer is more important.
                Uhm... protein folding (incorrectly) is "assumed to be" the cause of many cancers (not all tho).

Still, this is silly. This is NOT a competition or a "which is better" ******* contest.

ANY distributed computing contribution is a good contribution if it's relating to anything non-negative. It just depends on where your interests lie or where you think your own idle processor time should be spent on.

Comment

/me ****** all over the walls.

Comment

Give DrThodt your name, he'll write it on the wall. Mind your business!

Comment

Installed.

It’s been a while since I’ve had a Distributed Computing Client running on my machine.

The last one was FightAIDS@Home.

Comment

Nice one, I guess this one covers all diseases including AIDS

Bumpage

Comment

Bumpage, added team stats link
                          http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/m...&teamnum=38777

Comment

can some one explain me what folding@home is?
                            i dont got any idea what it is.
                            or what.
                            seen it so much the program.
                            and still i dont known

Comment

Stanford, the college is working on protien folding to try to find out why diseases happen, in oder to find a cure for them. They need extreme ammounts of computer power to acomplish all the equations so millions of people around the world will download a segment, have their computers figure it out and then send it back....the program runs in the background and doesnt slow anything down either.

Comment

Originally posted by UTReport.com
                                Cool, the more CPU power the better Yeah....SETI seems kinda pointless, this will actually help the human race
                                So you don't think mapping out places that emit large amounts of radio waves is good for science? While SETI@Home says it's the search for extraterrestrials, that's mainly to get the fringe tin-foil hat wearing types to put up their CPU time.

SETI@Home has been cataloging the locations and strengths of radiowaves being emitted from almost every part of space viewable by us, which helps scientists determine the type and age of various stars, the locations of black holes, etc. The double and triple checking of locations by using distributed computing is more to help remove bad data caused by glitches in the recording system.

While Folding@Home has been calculating how proteins will fold on itself to help scientists create artificial proteins. The problem is that NONE of that data is real-world. Your computer is running a simulation model and then reporting the results it gets. If that model is proven false or even just flawed in some way, all that work your CPU has worked on will be invalidated. With SETI@Home, you're processing real data by removing signal noise and producing single wavelength results to be sent back to the SETI@Home project and analyzed. What you do in SETI@Home can't be invalidated; the only reason why its being done by distributed computing is because the supercomputer power required to process all that data is beyond the reach of all scientists, even for such a relatively simple task.

That's enough ranting.

Comment

Working...
                                X