This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KhaaL
    ...whats so good about this game anyway?

oh, and btw:

you are in Atari Forums > Games > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > General Discussion
    oh btw you are looking at:

[OT] Doom 3

This game is going to be killer. Like everyone else, I don't have high expectations for the MP, but it's not always about MP. I really enjoy a good single player FPS experience once in a while. I'm with most everyone else, that will get it, totally enjoy the SP, and then come back to UT2004.

Besides, D3 will be yesterdays news once the first game on Unreal Engine 3 is released
    Well I would sure hope so, considering Unreal 3 isnt due out until another year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by compjarg
      Aww, now I feel bad, I dled it from BT, probably helped more people get it. I plan on buying it still, but I don't have the money yet.
      And besides, I am getting a whole *** LOAD of tearing everywhere, random polygon's, vertex's attached to my xhair, stretching in odd ways, sometimes even revealing the next room ahead and completely ruening the suprise ahead. turning on vsync helps a small bit, but not completely.

Besides, D3 will be yesterdays news once the first game on Unreal Engine 3 is released
      Me too. Whenever a game that's heavily hyped is released, I look for a demo. If one's not available I turn to... err... other methods to test a game before I spend my cash. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't I delete it. I'm probably not going to buy it, unfortunately; for some odd screwy reason all of the ingame text (menus, loading screens, etc.) is all blurry

And D3 will be news from several years ago once the first UE3 game is released

Comment

For all of the non believing, critisizing, ****tards. ID has never released a game that flopped. end of story.

-zeroskillz

p.s. The thing you don't realize about ID's 4 player MP, at first they weren't going to include one, then people *****ed until ID caved in, now we get this, which people are still *****ing about, but it offers room to expand. If you give people too much, and try to take away, you get a worse result then if you give them a small amount, and increase it when it's right.

Comment

Originally posted by chrio500
          I like it a lot. The main difference is the pace at which the action is taking place. It's slower than 2k4 but that was expected. Slower...but in a good way. To put it simply...the characters have a more realistic way of moving.

because you can't move as quickly or w/ the agility like in faster paced fps'....(you can sprint w/ the shift key but that requires stamina which runs out)... a lot of the skill relies on your accuracy (hit scan for all you 1337's )

all in all...it's really good, but for online play, strategy and aim is the name of the game in this one. so for eveyone who thinks they can pull a quick dogde to get away from ppl or flip behind to someone's reer (immunity ).... think again. It's a new scary world out there. cheers:up:
          exactly how i am hoping it to be....your post makes me hope well..:up:

Comment

doom3 was unbelieveably awesome for the first 1 and a half hours

i thought it was the best game ever made

then the game became find pda-> go to door

find pda-> go to door
            find pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to door
            vfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorvfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to door + gay puzzles

needless to say i uninstalled the piece of ****

Comment

Originally posted by Carl_1
              Ahh, never knew that.
              Bleh why cant MY EB screw up.
              I feel you. My EB gave me a firm "tomorrow."

Comment

Originally posted by magicaljerry
                doom3 was unbelieveably awesome for the first 1 and a half hours

i thought it was the best game ever made

then the game became find pda-> go to door

find pda-> go to door
                find pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to door
                vfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorvfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to doorfind pda-> go to door + gay puzzles

needless to say i uninstalled the piece of ****
                i could see that i guess. i've put 5 or 6 hrs in though, and i'm still REALLY enjoying myself. I just don't pay attention to it. I don't ever go "searching" for a pda, they usually end up falling in my lap as i'm exploring and enjoying looking around and getting the sh[i][i/i]it scared out of me. It DOES seem a bit repetative though (for instance, has anyone else noticed the p/w's you need on the audio parts are at the VERY end.. seriously.. so if you happened to miss it, you gotta listen to the WHOLE thing again? heh). but at the same time, i really enjoy reading the other people's pda's so that part don't bother me.

oh and yes, just call me captain hook. i DO plan on picking up the game on friday though (from my understanding thats when circuit city is getting it in, and they haev it on sale for 45 bux).

EDIT: oh, and i don't know how the multiplayer is because, well, duh... but ya, i'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend. I'm hoping a budy of mine in my clan will pick it up as well, then we can do some 1v1

Comment

I played doom 3 and my throat is my stomach. When i fired it up, all i had to say was "WOW". I got to the action and i was scared out of my wits. I'm walking along and all of a sudden a ton of girders and stuff almost fall on me. Then i walk along and i get caught on something, i turn on my flashlight and there is an IMP monster right in my face. Next i'm walking along, and i get caught on something again. I turn on flashlight and it turns out there is a body hanging from the ceiling...I nearly ****** myself. Doom 3 is a must buy for any horror/action fan!:up: But, it won't replace UT2k4's multi.

Comment

I'm not getting it till wednsday morning.

And mods, please don't shut down this thread just yet, we are just so tempted to talk about doom3 here. :heart:

Comment

Been playing the game for about 3 hours now, and all i can say is OMG. Its the scariest game ive ever played. When you first meet a pinkie it builds it up so well, i was ****ing my pants the tension is amazing.

Multi i can see it good for 1v1 but i didnt buy it for mp.

Comment

The most intense parts for me is when you are low on health, and you hear your heart beating, then the lights go out and you get punched around and tons of enemies are around you, you forgot to save the game, and you are almost dead....then you run away somewhat and someone rips open the stairs and punches you again. I love this game, and mp will do very good, no matter what anyone says. It will just expand as expected...people *****ed for mp in doom3, so ID gave them a baseline to work on, and the rest might just be up to the community..I dunno.

Also CPL addopted Doom3 in a 150,000$ 1v1 tourney, so that's bound to bring popularity in some way.

-zeroskillz

Comment

bbc is eggagerating losses. I'd say almost half those downloads were from people that preordered it and couldn't stand waiting.

but face it, people are saying this game is horrible. Fun for awhile, but then it's just a flashlight & gun repetition for 14 hours and then a stupid ending.

*Sigh* HL2 save the FPS SP Genre please! UT2k4 already defined FPS MP.

Comment

All I have to go on are the various hyped-up previews and reviews that are cirulating throughout space, but I can say I will definitely buy doom3... eventually. I'm but a struggling student, and the hefty $50 price tag will keep me at bay for quite some time, but once it drops to 40 or less, the day shall be mine!

From what I've seen, there really isn't any point complaining about the multiplayer, as the game is really designed to be a single player game. No matter how fun all these multiplayer games may be, I've always loved sp storylines the best. Unreal1 was godly (and diabolically LONG), half-life was awesome, Unreal2 was great (freakishly short, yes, but still great), and halo (which I've just gotten around to buying) is great fun as well.

I played through the single player modes on all of these, but you could count the number of multiplayer matches I've played in all of them combined on but one hand. Unreal1 had botmatches, and then UT came out, and ever since then I've had my multiplayer madness and my singleplayer goodness, albeit not in the same game.

I must say, though, the four-player multiplayer intrigues me. I've always liked to play in small matches, and it's a habit of mine to switch over from flagrunning to dueling every now and then if I feel the teams are a wee bit unbalanced. Smaller matches means the game is not about killing the worst players on the server the fastest anymore, but about pitting your skills directly against those of another (or the other 3, but whatever). I suppose I could just go play some ut 1v1 or something, but that would totally cripple my rambling and somewhat undefined argument.

Comment

does anyone know what the hell that one thing you pick up (i've gotten 2 so far) that make your heart beat loud? (and no, its not low on health).. the first one i got was when you hafta go outside and get to the other entrance.... i'm guessing its some sort of adrenaline thing or something... but i don't know exactly what it does

the two things i haven't really seen people talk about that i absolutely love about the game is... first off, how you take damage. other games have done this as well, but in doom3 it just seems "better" (or different.. i don't know)... if you get shot w/ a pistol from far away you screen jerks a little bit... whereas if you have an imp right in your face, attacking you w/ its claws or whatever, it goes freaking crazy every time you get hit.....

and also, w/ the guns. in some games your crosshairs change color if they are over an enemy... now, because of how dark doom3 is, i know some would argue they should incorporate that. but i think that would detract from the game. but i love how they have it turn red for a splitsecond if you DO land a shot, so you aren't completely "in the dark"...

Comment

Working...
                              X