[OT]So I'm building a pc and....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT]So I'm building a pc and....

I have a couple of questions regarding this little venture.

I was thinking of getting an amd64 processor,but i saw that amd isn't going to implement ddr2 ram this year and probably not until q2 next year,so should i go for a intel based processor or will i even notice the difference between the two types at this early stage.

Also I decided to buy a radeon x600xt,cos i don't have enough money for the x800,but I don't seem to be able to find the ati brand (ie built by ati) in this country (ireland) so i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good 3rd party brand.

What size/brand power supply should i get?

Can someone recommend a good keybord/mouse,preferably a wireless set.

Thanks in advance.

Most games do like more cache.
    and amd has it if i'm not mistaken.
    if i where you i would grab a good amd 64 board.
    and amd 64.

Comment

Re: [OT]So I'm building a pc and....

Originally posted by Cal_Gore
      What size/brand power supply should i get?
      I'd have to say Antec. Though I have never had any problems with PSU's of any brand, I have heard that some cheap PSU's really can blow up anytime. And I've never heard anything bad said about Antec.
      I'm sure there are also other PSU manufacturers out there that you could place your confidence on - but Antec's just unmistakable.
      You'll be fine with anything over 400W.

Comment

Thanks guys really appreciate the advice,its my first time building a pc:noob:

Comment

It all depends what level you are going for.
          The current 64bit AMD Athlons are killing the similar powered intel chips and are coming up cheaper (the top range fx-53 is cheaper and faster than the top range P4 EE). However, there are some new 64bit intels coming into the market soon aimed at the desktop market but I haven't seen any reviews just yet.

As for DDR2, hmmmm, new tech is always wayyyy expensive. You are still looking at over £100 for 1GB of decent speed memory, more if you get a Athlon the needs registered memory (be warned some say the 939 socket athlons don't need registered memory but thats WRONG, I have one and you do!). You'll have to go bleeding edge tech for that, not just processor but motherboard as well. At the mo, I think PCI Express and a latest gen graphics card will be a better purchase.

Power supplies arn't that expensive. I got a branded 480W supply for under £100 and that should do even if I get the power hungry Geforce graphics card.

As for mice/keyboards. Personally I would go for a good wired keyboard and a brilliant wireless mouse. Both the top of the line Microsoft and logitech models are good

Comment

Basically what i'm going for is a good pc that can play games of today (like doom3 ut2004 and hl2) at a decent rate,but will still leave me the options to upgrade without having to buy,say a new motherbord.I was looking at the bottom of the range amd 64 939pin cpu (3500 i think it was.)

Comment

if you want future upgradability, id say wait a bit for a ocket 939 with pci express

Comment

DDR2 Does NOT give you a performance increase...

It is only more scalable...

So, I'm not toatly up to date with all the latest from AMD, but this plays into overclocking I think.

If you wait for DDR2, it's because you want your ram to run at a higher FSB "in the future" (not because you want performance now).

The Memory controller is built onto the FX and AMD64 chips, making the FSB 1600 mhz or something, i dont know how the memory plays into this, but there is no multiplyer... so I get confused.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Caveman
                  DDR2 Does NOT give you a performance increase...

It is only more scalable...

So, I'm not toatly up to date with all the latest from AMD, but this plays into overclocking I think.

If you wait for DDR2, it's because you want your ram to run at a higher FSB "in the future" (not because you want performance now).

The Memory controller is built onto the FX and AMD64 chips, making the FSB 1600 mhz or something, i dont know how the memory plays into this, but there is no multiplyer... so I get confused.

well, that was a useful post.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal_Gore
                    Basically what i'm going for is a good pc that can play games of today (like doom3 ut2004 and hl2) at a decent rate,but will still leave me the options to upgrade without having to buy,say a new motherbord.I was looking at the bottom of the range amd 64 939pin cpu (3500 i think it was.)
                    Looks like you've arrived at a good choice all on your own. If you can afford it, the 939 socket is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X