Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first post (Buddy List question)

Whats up?
    Finally got UT2k3 lastnight and love it. Its just what i needed right now and its good to be back in the UT community.

So, I only have one issue/question (already searched forum) and my question is what is up with the buddy list?

I have a pretty unique in-game name and so does my friend. I added his player name exactly as it is spelled and nothing happens. Same for him to me. We are playing on public servers but yet it never shows that either of us are online. I even added myself to my own buddy list and nothing. We can even play on teh same public server and check our buddy list and his name/my name is still grey with no info on where we are playing or if we are online or not.

Any sugestions woudl be great. I would love to be able to get it working.

oh...btw... I added other random people i saw on servers also and they showed as not online to me as well.

Appreciate the help and look forward to seeing you in-game

Hudson

First of all welcome !

... and second, did you put all the caps in the right place, i believe the buddy list is case sensitive.

Comment

yea... I had all the caps in the right place.
      Does the UT2k3 buddy list work for you?

He uses cable connection and i use DSL.
      I will get him to try to add someone else to see if teh problem is just with me and not both of us.

Hudson

p.s. thanks for the "welcome" This community seems very inviting and i appreciate that.

Comment

Sounds like your not getting it right, mine works fine.

Get him to mail/post it for you out of his ini.

Also you can use wildcards in your buddy list! works great for clans.

Comment

Originally posted by DraZtiK
          Sounds like your not getting it right, mine works fine.

Get him to mail/post it for you out of his ini.

Also you can use wildcards in your buddy list! works great for clans.
          I'll do that. thanks.
          its been a while... *(for one character) %(for multiple)?

as in if we were all "UPC blahblah"
          then i could add UPC% to my buddy list?

I could be way off... only played lastnight ad am at work atm.

Hudson

Comment

All I use is the *

so UPC* or *UPC* should do the trick.

Comment

Maybe it was some temporary problem with the Master Server, DrSiN mentioned something about the server going down yesterday in http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=324611

Or it could have been a temporary glitch. Did you recieve the News message when you entered the on-line menu? If not, then it probably was the master server. Happened to me once and then my buddy list didn't work either.

Comment

I just messaged my buddy and he said that he could see me online in his buddy list but it listed me on a CTF server that i had played earlier (like 30 earlier)

I got a news message but it was dated April 22 (if i remember correctly.

I will give it another shot tonight.

Hudson

Comment

Hey Hudson.... Welcome to the forums:up:

I've never had a problem with the buddy list before, but I would recommend shortening the nic and using wildcards to ensure no mistakes.

So if the guys is DeathNinja_0985!
                  Try entering DeathN*
                  or *85!

even if you get a couple of results, you can sort through them quickly.... Also, the buddy list is not case sensitive.

Comment

Hi,
                    Your buddy has to be playing for you to see him I think. If he just has the game loaded you will not see him.

Comment

always found the buddy list generally works fine - but occasionally people dont turn up on the list. I think the system is slightly flawed - but on the whole it is great.

I always use wildcards.

Comment

don't forget theres a refresh button, and it does take a couple of mins for the master server to update with new players who have just joined servers.

Comment

I would suggest trying wildcards. while your at it you should use wildcards to add every major clan out there to your list. Once you do this you'll be able to find 4-7 good pubs at any time of the day.

Comment

My Skilz arn't uber atm... but they wil be soon

Sometimes i do some pretty stupid stuff and to be honest with ya... It was probably the refresh/reset button (mentioned above) that i did not use.

Appreciate the help... see ya in-game

Hudson

Comment

I would recomend not putting the full name. It works if you put part. I play under [INA]~MikeSobe, and if you put INA in as a buddy it would find me when I am online.

Comment

Working...
                              X