UTclassic - Q's for epic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireCrack
    ok, yeah i made alot[relative] of flames tonight, i do it for a few minutes every few months, ignore it
    I was referring to the person's invective I was quoting.

Comment

The size of the pickupps isnt really the problem though. If that was the case, Epic would just make the pickupps smaller.

But some things can not be so easily solved. Things like door openings, map scale, etc. If the maps where made in proportion (for example, a door opening about 1.2 times as high as a player) it would be pain due to all jumps.

Just imagine playing Turbine in UT2003, with the same scale as in UT. Every doublejump or dodgejump you did would make your head hit in the ceeling, or get you to bump into something else.

So you see, its really the new jumps that is the problem, since its becaue of the new jumps it becomes impossible to make the maps in the 'correct' scale.

I know an easy solution to this: remove the consolish jumps, and make the maps in scale. But I know Epic wont do this, so we will just have to live with messed up mapscale in UT2004 as well.

/Kronon

Comment

Originally posted by Kronon
        The size of the pickupps isnt really the problem though. If that was the case, Epic would just make the pickupps smaller.

But some things can not be so easily solved. Things like door openings, map scale, etc. If the maps where made in proportion (for example, a door opening about 1.2 times as high as a player) it would be pain due to all jumps.

Just imagine playing Turbine in UT2003, with the same scale as in UT. Every doublejump or dodgejump you did would make your head hit in the ceeling, or get you to bump into something else.

So you see, its really the new jumps that is the problem, since its becaue of the new jumps it becomes impossible to make the maps in the 'correct' scale.

I know an easy solution to this: remove the consolish jumps, and make the maps in scale. But I know Epic wont do this, so we will just have to live with messed up mapscale in UT2004 as well.

/Kronon
        Yes you are exactly correct. The doublejump is the reason for the scaling issue. As you can jump 2x times higher everything is going to appear smaller unless you remove the extra jump or make the doors all higher. This is not an easy fix. The UT fanboys are just going to have to love it or leave it with UT2004 as I want my doublejump. :up: Epic is not going to change this. They would have responded by now if they were just to shut everyone up.:bulb:

Comment

the moves in UT would work fine in UT2003 but the oppisite is not true....but then who cares right ????? the maps in 2k3 will work fine for Ut movement and most of the good Ut maps are already ported over the extra hight size won,t mater a bit if the players size is increased by 10% and players width is increased by 10% so what is all the fuss about ???

X0n3r0g if you played Ut2003 half as much as you complained in Ut99 threads there would be more full servers in Ut2k3 and we would not be having this conversation... as it is i understand why you do not play you have no one to play with...they have taken their toys and left you alone to Complain about Ut players.... you are a persistant cussLOL

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa
            the moves in UT would work fine in UT2003 but the oppisite is not true....but then who cares right ????? the maps in 2k3 will work fine for Ut movement and most of the good Ut maps are already ported over the extra hight size won,t mater a bit if the players size is increased by 10% and players width is increased by 10% so what is all the fuss about ???

X0n3r0g if you played Ut2003 half as much as you complained in Ut99 threads there would be more full servers in Ut2k3 and we would not be having this conversation... as it is i understand why you do not play you have no one to play with...they have taken their toys and left you alone to Complain about Ut players.... you are a persistant cussLOL
            Ut2003 threads with the UT subject matter actually. If they are posted in this forum, as I am an avid player of UT2003, I have to comment on them. I play when at home and post when at work. It shouldn't be hard to make a mod for UT'ers. I have already figured it out for the most part.

UT MUT
            -Disable doublejump
            -increase player size to 1.5
            -increase all weapon damage x2
            Voila

Seems like someone would have made this mut if it was that big of a deal.

Comment

Hehe well it's not that simple, but it should still be pretty simple. I have recommended we make a mutator for the weapon and movement changes, and a separate map pack for the remakes that some people are already doing, and some have already done.

I don't think we should mess with scaling of anything, to be honest. If we just disable double jump, dodge jump, boost dodging (and if we have to, wall dodges) and then change up the weapon effects to be identical to UT's weapons, that's all that's needed. I don't think we should mess with scaling because that's a lot of extra effort to break compatibility with current maps. Most remakes have already been scaled 25% larger anyways. The player models really aren't that bad. It's just that when someone dodge jumps away from you and they land, they are much smaller because they travelled so far away and there relative position has changed so much. I've done a lot of slomo testing and if it's just down to dodge and no other movement options, that's not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron
                If we just disable double jump, dodge jump, boost dodging (and if we have to, wall dodges) and then change up the weapon effects to be identical to UT's weapons, that's all that's needed.
                What about gamespeed then? Don't you think it should be increased a bit, especially if they remove the special moves?

I agree with most everyone here that the running speed seems slow, but it makes sense relative to the special moves, because a faster running speed along with dodge-jumps would probably make the game seem way too fast. But without the special moves, I'm all for increasing the running speed.

Comment

Why doesn't Epic hire someone like me to peruse the forums all day and make authorized statements about the various questions that have been posed here? At least it would calm everyone down waiting for an answer.

Comment

Indeed.....if you remove double jump, dodge jump and boosting the running speed should definately be increased. Imagine a map like antalus (which btw is on of my favourites) and playing it without double jump, dodge jump and boosts.
                    The map would be unplayable.
                    So if you want to make a true ut mod, there must be other maps then in ut2k3.
                    That's exactly what those guys working on the "True UT Mod" are doing as we speak. They are porting old UT maps into utk23, and using all ut parameters with it.

Comment

You know what, since I see that image by Willhaven again I will stand corrected. He is correct in showing that the proportion/scale of weapon pickups with the held weapons are closer. And you can see how the weapons look larger compared to the person holding it, than in UT. I would say that most pickups are as large or larger than in UT. Take a look at the UT2k3 Shock Rifle core compared to the UT one and the ones in 2k3 are larger.

Originally posted by KittyFantastico
                      What about gamespeed then? Don't you think it should be increased a bit, especially if they remove the special moves?
                      You know what, I like the running speed as it is. That and the single dodge speed and distance. I would say those should stay the same. Just get rid of double dodge and dodge jump. Personally, I'd keep the wall dodges. But a true UT mod won't have that.

Originally posted by KittyFantastico
                      I agree with most everyone here that the running speed seems slow, but it makes sense relative to the special moves, because a faster running speed along with dodge-jumps would probably make the game seem way too fast. But without the special moves, I'm all for increasing the running speed.
                      The special moves are significantly faster than running. I did some slomo .3 testing and I get a boost of speed when I dodge jump or wall dodge jump, which to me seems silly that a player should be able to jump 15-20 feet to the side at 50% faster than they could by running.

I wouldn't complain if the running speed were increased by much, but I think it's fairly close to how it was in UT, just a little slower.

The maps and models are roughly 24% larger so at most I'd have the running speed increased no more than that. But I really like it as it is now and wouldn't push for any speed increase. IMRO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron
                        You know what, I like the running speed as it is.
                        Fair enough. :up:

Comment

to be honest with ya ultron
                          if it isnt the spitting image of ut,it wont go over well with the masses.
                          not changing the player scale would be a HUGE mistake and thats just 1 thing out of hundreds that need to be changed.
                          If you do it right you will be a god in the ut world.

Comment

Well if the model is the same size and the maps are scaled between 1.12 to 1.24 the original size it'll play pretty much the same. I think if everything is bumped up 10% at least, all of the UT2k3 maps will be to scale, too.

I'm not going to complain either way. I wish them the best and I support them.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=434

Comment

Working...
                            X