Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know where to get factoring formulas (like factoring X^4 - 16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know where to get factoring formulas (like factoring X^4 - 16)

I know theres a very simple formula for factoring cubes and 4th powered equations when theres no middle terms.

for example, for a^2 - b, the formula is (a + root(b))*(a - root(b))

so x^2 - 16 would be (x+4)(x-4)

how can you do cubic/4th powered ones?
    ie x^4 - 16?

also, anyone have any resources that teach difference of squares?

(need it to be able to solve
    lim (root(x) - x^2) / (1 - root(x) )
    x=>1

Re: Anyone know where to get factoring formulas (like factoring X^4 - 16)

Originally posted by vaxopy
    I know theres a very simple formula for factoring cubes and 4th powered equations when theres no middle terms.

for example, for a^2 - b, the formula is (a + root(b))*(a - root(b))

so x^2 - 16 would be (x+4)(x-4)

how can you do cubic/4th powered ones?
    ie x^4 - 16?
    my god can't you figure this stuff out on your own? If you can't do this simple math then what can you do?

Think about it for more than 15 minutes before you ask for help. It does get easier. Push through that mental wall blocking you from comprehension. Read the material or listen in class or go to class.

Comment

Re: Re: Anyone know where to get factoring formulas (like factoring X^4 - 16)

Originally posted by X0n3r0g
      my god can't you figure this stuff out on your own? If you can't do this simple math then what can you do?

Think about it for more than 15 minutes before you ask for help. It does get easier. Push through that mental wall blocking you from comprehension. Read the material or listen in class or go to class.
      i should have added in my post - please no retards reply.

anyone can spend 30 mins figuring out how to factor it with trial and error. i wont have that kind of time on the exam. there was no formula given in class, this was a question in one of the problems assigned. if you dont know, please shut the hell up and let people with intelligence answer.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Anyone know where to get factoring formulas (like factoring X^4 - 16)

Here's a hint future McDonald's Employee.

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath213.htm

Comment

wtf&lol @ this thread.

Comment

This is the same as your previous question, (x^2-16).. Just do it the same way

The answer is just (x^2-4)(x^2+4) which factors further to if you want to take it that far..

(x-2)(x+2)(x+2i)(x-2i)

Comment

Originally posted by Lotus

The answer is just (x^2-4)(x^2+4) which factors further to if you want to take it that far..

(x-2)(x+2)(x+2i)(x-2i)
              thanks a lot =)

do you know how difference of squares works?

Comment

Buy a TI-89 Calculator. They are the best calculators ever, man. They do all that stuff for you. They integrade, differentiate, solve for zeros, factor, plot, almost anything. I've had mine for 4 years and it really helps with higher math.

Comment

i'm a lurker, but when i saw this thread i couldn't resist.

Maths (w/o s 4 u americans) is cool. i shoulda took it 4 my degree instead of f00king chemistry. i'm quite good at it [math(s) i mean]. 90%+ is my ave 4 exams.
                  i've still got it, i'm so proud.

but anyway the answer's 3.

i'm not going to tell u the method but i'll start u off:

multiply fraction by

(1+x^1/2)
                  (1+x^1/2)

then expand on top and simplify on bottom

Comment

You know, I resent this thread....

I am usually accepting of people trying to learn, but sometimes you just need to use your brain BEFORE you ask questions....

That, my friend, is how you REALLY learn....

And trust me, i know. I suffered through a chemical engineering degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotus

(x-2)(x+2)(x+2i)(x-2i)
                      That's it.

It's just using difference of squares twice.

This stuff is hard to read without MathType or TeX... yuck.

Originally posted by Teh Caveman
                      You know, I resent this thread....

I am usually accepting of people trying to learn, but sometimes you just need to use your brain BEFORE you ask questions....

That, my friend, is how you REALLY learn....

And trust me, i know. I suffered through a chemical engineering degree.
                      How do you know how hard the person tried before asking the question?

The answer is simple once you see it, but you need experience to see it.

Comment

Why do some people make fun of people who have trouble learning algebra? He's asking a question, school is not a competition...

It's probably his first year in algebra, I remember I had some painfull experiences with factoring polynomials and such...

Comment

And ta thunk I was flamed earlier for an OFF topic thread.
                          This isn't even funny, except the thread itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Harley Davidson
                            This isn't even funny, except the thread itself.
                            So is it funny or not?:weird:

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Anyone know where to get factoring formulas (like factoring X^4 - 16)

Originally posted by vaxopy
                              i should have added in my post - please no retards reply.
                              Omfg pwnt :haha:

Comment

Working...
                              X