Those Z-680's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Z-680's...

I've got a question concerning those Z-680's of mine...

Firstly, I went to my local radioshack and purchased a digital cable as well as a plug adapter fitting a 1/8 inch jack. I was wondering if this would be sufficient enough to obtain digital output from my Z-680's with a PC sound card (sound blaster audigy 2). I'd connect one side of the digital cable to the control pod of the Z-680, connect the other side of the cable to the adapter and then stick the adapter into the Digital Out jack in my Sound Blaster Audigy 2.
    I'd test this myself, but I sent in my control pod to Logitech and they're in the process of sending me a newer one with updated firmware.

Also, could I have this digital connectoin as well as the 6 channel direct connection connected to my sound card at the same time, and simply switch between different inputs using the pod? Or am I somehow forced to simply obtain only one input source from my sound card (for instance, only digital or only 6-channel).

Any feedback or help would be immensely appreciated. Thanks :up:

Why would you buy the stuff before you knew if it'd work or not? Are you an idiot?

Comment

Originally posted by bleh01
      Why would you buy the stuff before you knew if it'd work or not? Are you an idiot?
      Well he has to try sometime, not be an idiot like you and go: 'Gee i'll just sit here and wait for the information to somehow come to me, without even buying the stuff to see if it works'. Sorry kiddo.

Comment

Umm...are you the world's dumbest asshat? I'm just trying to find out how to obtain digital output from my speakers. That doesn't mean the speakers don't work, although an rash idiot like yourself would immediately jump to that conclusion.

I've read numerous reviews on the Z-680's, I've heard the maximum quality the speakers can produce at my friend's house, and I've heard endless praises concerning it. I've experienced the speakers, I know they're good from hearing it and reading the reviews and I know "they work." Only a ****** like yourself would think that such an acclaimed product "wouldn't work."

I don't think solely utlizing 6 channel sound and a little (albeit irritating) hiss in the speakers qualifies it as "not working." You are obviously too much of a dumbass to realize that I simply want to make the best of these speakers by tweaking it and taking as much advantage of its power as possible.

So, do us all a favor, and spare us these little dumbshit posts like yours that, not only amount to nothing and help no one, but make you look even more like an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by RedShadowXX
          I'm just trying to find out how to obtain digital output from my speakers.
          Yeah, I know you are. But you go off buying this **** for them, and do the research AFTER that? You should've asked or googled it before you go off buying stuff.

Originally posted by vhx
          Well he has to try sometime, not be an idiot like you and go: 'Gee i'll just sit here and wait for the information to somehow come to me, without even buying the stuff to see if it works'. Sorry kiddo.
          Like I said, RESEARCH IT FIRST BEFORE YOU SPEND MONEY ON IT.

Comment

He did research first (reviews, friends).

I also got those speakers and they are very nice, just need to find longer cables for them so I can hang them up around the room

Comment

Yeah, I know you are. But you go off buying this **** for them, and do the research AFTER that? You should've asked or googled it before you go off buying stuff.

Like I said, RESEARCH IT FIRST BEFORE YOU SPEND MONEY ON IT.
              He can return the parts, ya know. RadioShack has never given me any trouble. Why are you getting so upset?

Comment

First of all, mister enlightened-genius-of-consumer-matters, I understand your feeble mind can't quite grasp the concept of reading, but I believe I made myself clear above that I understood the quality of these speakers and how awesome they are and that I had done sufficient research.

Firstly, I got screwed over in terms of firmware. Even after a couple years or so Logitech still sells and distributes the older version of the firmware with an annoying hiss. This was not the fault of my "extensive research/Google program," for I thought I wouldn't be stuck with the older versions after so long.

Secondly, in terms of trying to get the digital sound, somebody on these forums, with good intentions, mistakenly told me that a coaxial cable could connect to my Sound Blaster Audigy 2. He gave me accurate info before, it's just he gave me this one faulty bit of advice. so I got the adapter and just wanted to check if it would work properly. And I'm just reconfirming the fact that I can have both inputs simultaneously from my sound card to the speakers.

Why, oh why, does every well-intentioned, innocent thread have to be plagued by some wise-*** n00b who has to chime in with his seemingly nonconstructive and condescending viewpoints, so he can feel better about himself and his withered, dilapidated *****.

It's late at night, I'm grumpy, I want some answers and I'm posting to receive some advice from many of the helpful people at these threads, so if you're going to keep on acting like a shitbucket, please stop posting and please go away.

Comment

I now got a few questions myself.

I also got an audigy2 ZS but currently I'm still using my old pc-dvd card for hardware decoding and througput of dolby digital signal to my z680's with a coaxial cable.

I'm wondering two things: Can the audigy handle more than dolby digital? Let's say DTS?

And what kind of cable fits in the digital out on the audigy2 zs and then in the coax digital in on the control pod of the z680? Coz the two are different

Comment

Originally posted by GIdenJoe
                    I now got a few questions myself.

I also got an audigy2 ZS but currently I'm still using my old pc-dvd card for hardware decoding and througput of dolby digital signal to my z680's with a coaxial cable.

I'm wondering two things: Can the audigy handle more than dolby digital? Let's say DTS?

And what kind of cable fits in the digital out on the audigy2 zs and then in the coax digital in on the control pod of the z680? Coz the two are different
                    A 1/8 inch jack should be able to fit in the digital out of your sound card. A simple digital cable goes to the control pod.

Because of this I got an adapter that goes from digital cable to 1/8 inch.

Comment

Secondly, in terms of trying to get the digital sound, somebody on these forums, with good intentions, mistakenly told me that a coaxial cable could connect to my Sound Blaster Audigy 2. He gave me accurate info before, it's just he gave me this one faulty bit of advice. so I got the adapter and just wanted to check if it would work properly. And I'm just reconfirming the fact that I can have both inputs simultaneously from my sound card to the speakers.
                      Heh - sorry if that was me - don't have the Audigy 2 - though I wonder what that RCA lookin plug next to the firewire connection on the back does.

Here's a link to a thread talking about your issue: LINK

Also - note that if you have the Audigy 2, then you DON'T want to be using just the digital coax option. Though to answer your question you CAN hook up both analog and digital and manually switch between the two.

I use just the digital coax option because my nVidia Soundstorm APU is the only market solution that can create a Dolby Digital stream on the fly from Direct X compliant source material. No Audigy series can do that, so you are better off using analog for games or you just wasted your 5.1 setup trying to go digital with Audigy - it won't work right and you won't get all your channels correctly.

Here is an email reply from Creative suggesting you use analog connections for the best experience:

Dear Customer,

When connecting the speakers using Coax or Optical, you will only get surround sound when you are playing an AC-3 surround sound encoded signal, such as the sound track in most DVD-Video movies. If I am not mistaken, the Logitech Z 680's have "(1) 6-channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2-, 4-, or 6-channel PC sound cards ".

My recommendation is to use the direct analog inputs to achieve the best sound and performance from your Audigy 2 ZS and these speakers. Many people think that digital is always better, but with speaker hardware that you have, the analog connections should be best.

The cable you need will have a mono 1/8th inch mini-jack on one end and an RCA connector on the other end. You can also use the more common stereo cable that has a stereo mini-jack on one end and two RCA connectors on the other end. Below are steps for connecting the sound card to an external AC-3 decoder using the more common stereo cable.

CONNECT THE DIGITAL OUT TO A RECEIVER
                      1. Get an 1/8th inch stereojack to Left and Right RCA cable.
                      2. Plug the stereojack into the digital out on the sound card (This is the farthest jack away from the firewire connector).
                      3. Plug the left (white) RCA connector to the SPDIF/AC3 coaxial input on your receiver.
                      4. Leave the the right (red) RCA connector disconnected.

SET THE AUDIGY2 TO USE DIGITAL OUTPUT
                      1. Go to Start > Programs > Creative > SB Audigy > Surround Mixer
                      2. Click on the (+) above the main volume control.
                      3. Make sure there is a check next to "Use Digital Output Only"

DISABLE AC3 DECODING
                      1. Go to Start > Programs > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 > Audigy HQ > Device Controls > Decoder
                      2. Select "SPDIF Passthru (Dolby Digital / DTS Digital Out)"

If you need a cable you will need to contact Logitech or go to any local computer store.

For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when replying to this email.

Best Regards

Michael (14485)
                      Technical Support
                      Creative Labs Americas

Comment

Originally posted by DarKnyt
                        Heh - sorry if that was me - don't have the Audigy 2 - though I wonder what that RCA lookin plug next to the firewire connection on the back does.

Here's a link to a thread talking about your issue: LINK

Also - note that if you have the Audigy 2, then you DON'T want to be using just the digital coax option. Though to answer your question you CAN hook up both analog and digital and manually switch between the two.

I use just the digital coax option because my nVidia Soundstorm APU is the only market solution that can create a Dolby Digital stream on the fly from Direct X compliant source material. No Audigy series can do that, so you are better off using analog for games or you just wasted your 5.1 setup trying to go digital with Audigy - it won't work right and you won't get all your channels correctly.

Here is an email reply from Creative suggesting you use analog connections for the best experience:
                        I realize that digital isn't the best source of output, that's why I want to have both analog and digital (because I still use my copmuter for watching DVD's and digital would be a great solution for the movies). So basically, digital for movies, analog for everything else.

Also, this has always annoyed me, but how come whenever I go to the device controls for my sound blaster audigy 2 in the Audio HQ, there ISN'T A TAB FOR "DECODER." The only tabs I see are headphones, sampling rate, and options. No decoder.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by GIdenJoe
                          just need to find longer cables for them so I can hang them up around the room
                          Cut the cabels close the the middle in half.. use wires with about the same diamiter and peel of all ends rubber/plastic tube to expose hte copper.. put the 2 togetter and twist it untill it's almost as a solid piece o' cabel.. then apply favorit tape... repeat in both ends of the extension...

that's how I did it for my 2.1 system anyway... (gonna get 5.1 and a new soundcard soon)

Are the the Z-680's real that much better than the Z-640's to justify 3x the price?

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3

Are the the Z-680's real that much better than the Z-640's to justify 3x the price?
                            I'll let DarKnyt handle this one

Comment

I realize that digital isn't the best source of output, that's why I want to have both analog and digital (because I still use my copmuter for watching DVD's and digital would be a great solution for the movies). So basically, digital for movies, analog for everything else.

Also, this has always annoyed me, but how come whenever I go to the device controls for my sound blaster audigy 2 in the Audio HQ, there ISN'T A TAB FOR "DECODER." The only tabs I see are headphones, sampling rate, and options. No decoder.

Any ideas?
                              I'm not sure about the Audio HQ question.

As for using a digital connection for DVD movies - I'm not sure you NEED one. I believe that your DVD application will do the software decoding necessary to hear 5.1 sound in movies. If you use digital connections, you have to disable the decoding onboard and let the Z-680's do it.

In short, I don't think you ever NEED to use a digital connection to your PC. Now if you want to connect to a console or stand-alone dvd player/receiver - that's a different story.

I've also hear there is a screech when you switch from analog to digital input on the LCD. Never heard it myself.

But TBH - you would probably have better luck asking these question at an audio forum where people who are incredibly informed on these issues frequent.

Heh - if you've ever heard the Z-680's you wouldn't ask that question. The best advice I could give would be to try to find someplace where they are setup so you can give them a quick demo. I'm not sure if that's a popular store option in Sweden.

But simply put - I have a $500 Pioneer Home Theater system I bought - 5.1 surround, 500 watts. Nice little 6" sub. I expect it does significantly better than the Z-640's.

They can't even BEGIN to compare with the sound from the Z-680's. The bass alone is so much incredibly better, it's hard to describe if you haven't ever heard something like it. You can really appreciate the THX quality rating - the satellites have a nice heavy heft to them and they just scream.

I remember the first DVD I watched with them - Pearl Harbor - at the attack scene. It was phenomenal. I couldn't believe how loud the suckers got and the clarity of dialogue from the center was perfect and the separation of sound from the satellites was incredible. When the Japanese Zero's strafed the decks you could hear each inividual bullet whiz by and each impact on the metal and wood. And the explosions as the bombs hit and the carriers exploded was like nothing I'd ever really experienced. My little brother has a box with 2 10" subs in his car and I'd never heard them sound like this. You just felt the crescendo of bass pass through your body and vibrate the air around you. It was pretty funny watching the sub driver slam back and forth in the box - it didn't so much as flinch or produce any distortion or rattle at all. I was sitting in about a 20' by 18' room and all this was with the volume at about 3/4 power with the sub at about 2/3 power.

Best investment in any computer equipment I have ever made. Period.

Comment

Working...
                              X