Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you make UT2?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    I would make it exactly like ut but with a modern facelift
    I would make it compatible with 2k4

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by Malo Hombre
      Then you crybabies would whine they didn't introduce anything new and advance the series. Or you'd cry about the new maps. You would find something—no matter how petty and inconsequential—to **** and moan about. Because that's how you are.

      Bish. Stfu. Nobody asked you to come in here and start flamin. The only thing I have a problem with here is people like you.

      I cepillo su dientes con mi ****

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Neoninja
        I would try to make it as far away from UT'99 as possible. After all UT2 is meant to be a new game right?

        (really i would do it just to **** off all the whining *****):up:
        Yeah, same as Epic did, anyway that's an excellent move if you
        don't want anyone playing it

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by If you see kay
          I would make it exactly like ut but with a modern facelift
          I would make it compatible with 2k4
          Agreed! :up:
          Actually, this is what people are doing over at BeyondUnreal,
          we are making an UT99 mod right now, people are porting UT
          maps, it's looking great (I'm part of the teamn tho haven't done
          much useful yet).
          (and will be compatible with UT2004)

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by danseko
            Agreed! :up:
            Actually, this is what people are doing over at BeyondUnreal,
            we are making an UT99 mod right now, people are porting UT
            maps, it's looking great (I'm part of the teamn tho haven't done
            much useful yet).
            (and will be compatible with UT2004)
            Do you have a link to a website where we can go take a look?

            Comment


              #51
              The ONLY changes I'd make are:

              1) No double jump, dodge jumps. (leaving in wall dodges)
              2) Add mantling. (to crawl up on boxes or ledges you can't quite jump on)
              3) Shorten dodge a little.
              4) Make the Link Gun sound like a real weapon (not like shooting spitwads)
              5) Slow down rate of travel, and distance, of the Biorifle projectiles.
              6) Make Adrenaline a mutator, not a default game dynamic.
              7) Include an Allweapons mutator.
              8) Slow down player movement to 75% of current speed.

              I really think, now that I've spent a LOT of time evaluating UT2k3 recently, that the map sizes are just fine. I think many were ultimately designed for players who don't use any of the super moves, even dodge.

              Try this experiment:

              1) Download Mysterio's Allweapons mutator and use it.
              2) Use the NoAdrenaline mutator as well.
              3) Turn dodging off, and when you play the game, don't double jump.
              4) Set gamespeed to 75%.

              This totally changes the game, I know.

              Now run around the maps. In my opinion, this is exactly the way most maps were designed, without the supermoves in mind. I have. Here are the advantages of each of those steps above:

              1) When you look at maps, there aren't any iconized pickups anywhere. This, to me, raises the realism of every map because all those items are out of the way.
              2) Quite frankly I dislike any relic/powerup system in any game by default. This takes an annoying dynamic out of the game.
              3) You can also just use dodge here, but the point is to show how UT2k3 can play in a more realistic setting, and many maps that were previously unplayable, become very playable.
              4) Look closely at everyone's animations, including yours. Instead of being in fast forward mode, bots and players run around at more realistic speeds. At 100% or faster, players look like they are galloping.

              Quite frankly if I did UT2k3 I would have kept everything else the same, but make those changes above. I think a lot of people might laugh at these changes but if they try my experiment they might like it.

              Comment


                #52
                -change the weapon switch speed to somewhere in between Q3 and UT2k3

                -Of course, RL jumping/boosting

                -Link beam is always straight

                -less lockdown with mini

                -no lockdown when shield is up

                -shield gun ammo cut by 1/2

                -no extra sparks with LG that can possible hit someone
                (railgun....)

                -add 'weight' to grenades. too **** bouncy as of now

                -either less grenades, or decrease ROF

                -either do away with bio rifle or tweak it somehow.
                trajectory, damage, etc.

                -less damage done by Flak primary after far distances

                -weapon sounds from UT, except for shock combo of UT2k3


                Another thing is the shield/health issue wich Epic seems to be handling.
                These, plus some other things was part of a mutator I was working on one day. Pretty much done(not all of the bugs though), but me being stupid formated my computer for a fresh install without backing up.
                Too lazy to ever rewrite.



                Things that I can't/couldn't do because I don't know anything about 3d programs is work on the atmosphere of the game.
                The characters, while being well done from a technical point of view, are ghey. I hate to use the term ghey, but they are ghey.....except for a couple like BlackJack. :up:
                Gotta fix animations for goodnesssakes.
                Another thing is the maps.
                Do away with the ghey sports theme. This isn't the NBA or Wrestling, it's supposed to be a bloody tournament. I hardly played UT before playing UT2k3, maybe 4 months max of actually playing more than 3 days per week, but I still much prefer it's 'feel'.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by Ultron
                  The ONLY changes I'd make are:

                  1) No double jump, dodge jumps. (leaving in wall dodges)
                  2) Add mantling. (to crawl up on boxes or ledges you can't quite jump on)
                  3) Shorten dodge a little.
                  4) Make the Link Gun sound like a real weapon (not like shooting spitwads)
                  5) Slow down rate of travel, and distance, of the Biorifle projectiles.
                  6) Make Adrenaline a mutator, not a default game dynamic.
                  7) Include an Allweapons mutator.
                  8) Slow down player movement to 75% of current speed.

                  I really think, now that I've spent a LOT of time evaluating UT2k3 recently, that the map sizes are just fine. I think many were ultimately designed for players who don't use any of the super moves, even dodge.

                  Try this experiment:

                  1) Download Mysterio's Allweapons mutator and use it.
                  2) Use the NoAdrenaline mutator as well.
                  3) Turn dodging off, and when you play the game, don't double jump.
                  4) Set gamespeed to 75%.
                  Sorry Ultron!
                  My suggestion to make UT2k3 more UT-like was to increase the
                  gamespeed to 110%, as UT2k3 is slow as sh't! I actually spent
                  3-4 threads with about 10 pages each, debating my stand here,
                  and I know what I mean about this.

                  I even made a test-mutator which made players bigger and
                  gamespeed higher, called FixFeel, which I got a lot of great
                  feedback on, people saying "this fixes exactly what I didn't like
                  about UT2k3", thanking me for "saving the game" for them and
                  so on. Of course the whole thing was strangled by the INA
                  mafia's flame, and the mutator not being more than a beta for testing.

                  Talk about spending a lot of time (too much..) evaluating UT2k3...

                  Anyway, here are the consequences I see to your changes:
                  If you reduce gamespeed even more, you would have a slow
                  motion game where what everyone would do was to run towards
                  the lightning gun / shock rifle (slowly..) use it and have a field day.
                  The minigun would of course also work frustratingly well.

                  The only other strategy that would work, would be constant flak/rocket
                  spam and hope the aimsters have an off moment.
                  Ie. you'd reduced the game to spam, easy aim-"skills", and most
                  of all getting the right items first. Include a slow-motion which lets
                  you see this gameplay in all it's sad detail and you'd know why it
                  doesn't work.
                  Which is exactly what UT2k3 is today.

                  Quite frankly if I did UT2k3 I would have kept everything else the same, but make those changes above. I think a lot of people might laugh at these changes but if they try my experiment they might like it.
                  It's fun to play in slow-motion against bots, but as soon as you
                  go MP with this puppy you'll probably have the most boring and
                  annoying gamesession of your life. And newbies will not have a
                  single chance. You'd have even more of why UT2k3 doesn't work today. IMO.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    I totally disagree with you on some things but I totally see your logic here. I'd rather have someone intelligently disagree with me than say y0u suxx0r etc.

                    Originally posted by danseko
                    My suggestion to make UT2k3 more UT-like was to increase the gamespeed to 110%, as UT2k3 is slow as sh't! I actually spent 3-4 threads with about 10 pages each, debating my stand here, and I know what I mean about this.
                    Oh I totally understand you're well versed on this subject. We just disagree on some things. No biggie. And 110% gamespeed won't bring the running speed from 2k3 up to UT's running speed, I know hehe.

                    Originally posted by danseko
                    I even made a test-mutator which made players bigger and gamespeed higher, called FixFeel, which I got a lot of great feedback on, people saying "this fixes exactly what I didn't like about UT2k3", thanking me for "saving the game" for them and so on. Of course the whole thing was strangled by the INA mafia's flame, and the mutator not being more than a beta for testing.
                    I don't think the models need to be changed at all, with the exception of raising the player camera out of the character's neck. IMRO.

                    Originally posted by danseko
                    Talk about spending a lot of time (too much..) evaluating UT2k3...
                    Psh. There's never "too much time" evaluating Unreal games.

                    Originally posted by danseko
                    Anyway, here are the consequences I see to your changes: If you reduce gamespeed even more, you would have a slow motion game where what everyone would do was to run towards the lightning gun / shock rifle (slowly..) use it and have a field day. The minigun would of course also work frustratingly well.
                    I don't want to slow down the gamespeed exactly, just slow down the movement speed of the models and the distance of the dodges to be more realistic. The runspeed is not realistic. And yes I know this is Unreal not Real. hehe

                    I am not asking that the gamespeed be slowed down. Just to make that clear. I just asked that people try the game at 75% and check out the running speed and model animations looks far more realistic.

                    Keep in mind that 95% of those online FPS players are playing more realism-centric games like BF1942/CS/ Wolf:ET/TacOps/America's Army etc.

                    Originally posted by danseko
                    The only other strategy that would work, would be constant flak/rocket spam and hope the aimsters have an off moment. Ie. you'd reduced the game to spam, easy aim-"skills", and most of all getting the right items first. Include a slow-motion which lets you see this gameplay in all it's sad detail and you'd know why it doesn't work. Which is exactly what UT2k3 is today.
                    UT2k3 is not a slow motion game. If you just run around you are running marginally slower than UT. However the dodges give you significantly more travel, and the dodge jumps, and double jumps help players move significantly faster and further than they ever could in UT.

                    Would you agree with me that the worst thing about UT2k3 is the super moves such as double jump and dodge jump?

                    Originally posted by danseko
                    It's fun to play in slow-motion against bots, but as soon as you go MP with this puppy you'll probably have the most boring and annoying gamesession of your life. And newbies will not have a single chance. You'd have even more of why UT2k3 doesn't work today. IMO.
                    Slowing the running speed down will not make things worse for the newbs. I don't want a game that's slow motion. The rate of travel for a character at 75% gamespeed is a nice running speed for realism. And if you look at the running animation, it looks more realistic, too. At 100% or faster, the animation does not look nearly as realistic. IMRO.

                    I don't want a 3 second time between lightning gun rounds, or rockets that travel like waterballoons tossed by 2nd graders.

                    The reason I suggested gamespeed to 75% is because it takes a second even for novice users to do and you can see how realistic the running speed and animations are. And if you take out the supermoves you don't have the advantage of dodge jumping 16 feet in one direction or whatever the equivilent is in the game.

                    Here's what I've been able to figure out using my own testing and Wiki's Unreal Movement Metrics and Scale charts:

                    UT2k3 / UT Hardcore in Unreal Units: (14 UU = 1 foot, not 16 as has been listed)

                    character height: 88 / 80
                    character width: 48 / 34

                    running speed: ? / 400 (per second)
                    jump speed: ? / 440
                    dodging speed: ? / 600

                    dodge height: 18 / 23
                    jump height: 64 / 67
                    double-jump height: 128 / NA

                    jump distance: 256 / 311
                    dodge distance: 320 / 237
                    double-jump distance: 512 / NA
                    combo dodge/jump distance: 768 / NA
                    wall dodge distance: 448 / NA
                    wall-dodge/jump distance: 832 / NA

                    What I am lacking are the rates of travel in UT2k3 for running, jumping and dodging. It's not so important to get the speed of other supermoves, really.

                    I'm also a little skeptical of some of Wiki's numbers, particularly the distances, because a dodge in UT would be about 16 feet and that's not even close. Also it lists 16UU's as a foot but 6 x 16 = 96 and the player models are 88UU's tall. It's more like 14UU's per foot if you consider the models 6' tall.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X