The Only reason to Reinstall UT2k3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powerslave666
    What I'm wondering is the reason you still hang around these forums when you hate UT2003.
    Were you addressing me with that question?

Comment

Originally posted by nightstormer
      It makes no sense to me why these "realistic" shooters are so popular. IMO an action packed, fast paced game like UT is far more entertaining than a slow, sneaking around, camping simulation shooter where all the weapons are basically the same (bullets). But obviously I'm the minority considering how many idiots play CamperStrike.
      ^^^ Agreed...
      I'll withhold passing judgment on RO as a mod, but I have definitely passed judgement on realistic (WWII) shooters as a genre.
      I've played more than a few, and none of them hold my interest for the same reasons: -Too slow, too deliberate, movement is too constricting, generally unbalanced weapons... just to name a few.

To each his own, I guess... But definitely not my cup of tea.

Comment

It makes no sense to me why these "realistic" shooters are so popular. IMO an action packed, fast paced game like UT is far more entertaining than a slow, sneaking around, camping simulation shooter where all the weapons are basically the same (bullets). But obviously I'm the minority considering how many idiots play CamperStrike.
        You do not stand alone friend. :up:

DISCLAIMER: I am not passing judgemnet on RO.

Comment

Couldn't agree more! :up:

A friend of mine have been playing CS for a number of years now and at that he has been playing the same f***ing map over and over again all these years cause that's the only good map IHO. It's called DeDust or something like that I think.
          That must be reeeally stimulating

It also sucks that you don't respawn in CS, so if I join as a crappy or intermediate player I get about 30 seconds gameplay and then get a headshot and have to wait like eight minutes to play again. Would take me years to get to a level where I even could play 2 minutes
          But then again, if "realism" is what you're after, then maybe CS is a better game than UT2k3. Though AA would probably be even better than CS when it comes to "realism".

edit

My reply might come across as "WWII-mod-hostile" which was not my intention I think Red Orchestra and Frag Ops are gonna be very interesting mods indeed.

/edit

Comment

I think it might have been to the person who started the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by d-kopf
              Couldn't agree more! :up:

A friend of mine have been playing CS for a number of years now and at that he has been playing the same f***ing map over and over again all these years cause that's the only good map IHO. It's called DeDust or something like that I think.
              That must be reeeally stimulating
              *cough*orbital2*cough*

Looks like it's gonna be a great mod. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Pathos
                I think it might have been to the person who started the thread.
                ah, m'kay. that makes more sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial16
                  same ignorent talk as most of the idiots on this board who as soon as they see a mod or a game using realistic weapons ""Great! not another CS or DOD clone, because i'm an ignorent a$$hole and am gonna judge everything based on one thing that I hate"" -by ignorent ******** on this board

and what do u mean yet another ww2 game?? all games have their own timelines, and plus this is the only ww2 based mod for ut2k3 so far to be released(as stated earlier) and this one seems to be much more promising then anything else for ut2k3...

and also, i'll bet $500 i'm not the only one that thinks they wasted $50 on ut2k3, but will come in use finally with Red Orchestra for online, and other great mods.
                  Excuse me for being a ignorant idiot. But I think its sad to compare such a fun and great game like DoD to a game that uses iron sights. I have tried several mods, games that uses this kind of system and I have never found any fun in it. Realistic? Maybe but its not always the realism that makes a game fun, sometimes you may have to cut down on the realism in gain of gameplay and playability. Besides I wouldnt call it super realistic if you have to use iron sights wherever you are. On a distance I see it realistic to use iron sights but you cant hardly say that iron sights are used in close combat fighting, most soldiers know their weapon and dont have to have a crosshair at those distances.

But hey I just gave my opinion which clearly states from imo. Its not like I am forcing anyone to stay away from it. I just state my reasons for not liking a system like that. Maybe I am just a ignorant idiot.

PS. DoD actually has a much better solution on the aiming system, atleast the last time I looked. Navy Seals a mod for Q3 is another game that uses a much better system.

Comment

And I thought this thread was gonna tell me something usefull about reinstalling UT2003.
                    Why didn't you just title the thread "Red Orchestra" or something instead of tainting it as yet another UT2003 bashing thread?

I actually noticed my performance increased after completely uninstalling UT2003 and deleting it's directory and then reinstalling from sctratch along with the patch and bonus packs. Then defragged my HD. Much better. :up:
                    I guess installing a buncha mods, maps and stuff kinda bloated the game alittle er something. Dunno, but a clean install and defrag seemed to do the trick for degrading performance issues.

That's the kinda thing I expected this thread to contain...

Comment

Originally posted by Jelo
                      And I thought this thread was gonna tell me something usefull about reinstalling UT2003.
                      Why didn't you just title the thread "Red Orchestra" or something instead of tainting it as yet another UT2003 bashing thread?

i should have done that, then we wouldnt have so many morons replying and saying things like, "Not another ww2 based mod" and "i'm not an ignorent idiot, but I'll still judge all games and mods and compare them to cs(which is the best online game in history, and its proven) just because i dont like it" "cs sucks, so this will too"
                      as for the question of why i'm still here, cause i'm hoping utk24 will be better, then Red Orchestra and other great mods will be implementing vehicles in for ut2k4 version.

Comment

i should have done that, then we wouldnt have so many morons replying and saying things like, "Not another ww2 based mod" and "i'm not an ignorent idiot, but I'll still judge all games and mods and compare them to cs(which is the best online game in history, and its proven)
                        That's certainly one opinion, as is mine in that UT is the best online gaming experience ever. It's all about taste really, you can't really "prove" one game is better than another, and just because something is popular doesn't make it good. Boy bands are wildly popular and successful, but that doesn't mean they are worth a *****.

I think alot of people get razzed because these slow, plodding, camper "realism" FPS games have stolen away such a huge user base from games most people here on a UT2003 forum like better. i.e., fast paced action games like UT/Quake. IMO, one reason the "realism" shooters are so popular is the fact any n00b can go onto a CS server, hide, camp, sneak around, and make a game of it. UT type games take alot more skill on an individual level, and many people aren't interested in putting in that much time or effort just to get owned over and over again their first few months of playing. But I think it's great you posted the news about a new mod, more power to the modder community! :up:

Comment

That was directed to the thread starter

Comment

i should have done that, then we wouldnt have so many morons replying and saying things like, "Not another ww2 based mod" and "i'm not an ignorent idiot...

:down:

Whatever...

Comment

i should have done that, then we wouldnt have so many morons replying and saying things like, "Not another ww2 based mod" and "i'm not an ignorent idiot, but I'll still judge all games and mods and compare them to cs(which is the best online game in history, and its proven) just because i dont like it" "cs sucks, so this will too"
                              as for the question of why i'm still here, cause i'm hoping utk24 will be better, then Red Orchestra and other great mods will be implementing vehicles in for ut2k4 version.
                              I actually played 2K4 last wed at the SF Buzz tour stop and thought it was pretty sweet besides the fact that the build was 1.5 months old at the time and there will obviously be improvements.
                              The fact that you could take over a power node and then respawn at any power node your team has control of felt very BF1942, so if anything, I see RO being alot like BF1942 only not having as long of a history and established user base. Still, I like the engine and I'm glad that once you own the game, you have all these mods and mutators you can run. It's like buying multiple games.
                              I actually liked CS, but it's simply dated to me and playing FaceOff was a nice retro gametype that reminded me alot of the fun I had playing CS while retaining some of what I already like about the look and feel of UT2003.
                              It's all good...just thought the subject didn't fit the content of the thread and that was my only issue. I'm sure RO has alot to offer or they wouldn't be wasting their time making it, eh?

Comment

I am very much looking forward to this mod.

Comment

Working...
                                X