How Many people here are going to put up a ut2004 server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Many people here are going to put up a ut2004 server

When Ut2004 comes out I plan on renting a game server ( Normal weapons ) Anyone else here planning on doing the same?

no

Comment

yes....

eventually

Comment

yes - as soon as they release the free dedicated server for linux

Comment

as a gsp community liaison, theres no real reason afaik to keep running ut2003 servers once 2k4 is out.

all the dm/br/ctf/dom servers will be fully compatible with 2k3 clients so there shouldnt be a problem. (just depends whether 2k3 clients will be allowed to download 2k4 specific maps for dm/ctf etc, cant see why not tho)

Also with the reported netcode/engine improvements we'll be able to get more servers per box \o/

although it'll be interested to see what the 'actual' realistic team sizes will be for assault and ONS maps ( im thinking maybe 10v10 for ONS to be a realistic figure )

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver3
            all the dm/br/ctf/dom servers will be fully compatible with 2k3 clients so there shouldnt be a problem. (just depends whether 2k3 clients will be allowed to download 2k4 specific maps for dm/ctf etc, cant see why not tho)
            UT2003 clients can't connect to UT2004 servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial
              I am experiencing that now allready, and it can be pretty frustrating! grinzzz

'You need to apply the latest patch to connect to this server'' or something like that...

Can u tell something more about AS-Glacier Mysterial?

Comment

So let me get this straight... 2K3 clients can't connect to 2K4 servers, but 2k4 clients can connect to 2K3 servers?

Is that right? If so that'd explain why i can't connect to any 2K4 servers. Oh no, sorry i forgot, it's because there isn't a 2k4 demo yet

A bit off thread here, sorry, but Mysterial, are you doing the coding fer the A.I. in 2K4?

Comment

Originally posted by ScaZZ
                  So let me get this straight... 2K3 clients can't connect to 2K4 servers, but 2k4 clients can connect to 2K3 servers?
                  Yes.

Comment

I'll have to see if the old machine I run some on still has room

Comment

so whats the point in updating ut2003 so its compatible with 2004??

if you buy 2004, and it genuinely HAS got better netcode/engine optimisation as well as MORE gametypes/content/maps/skins/etc etc why the hell would you WANT to connect to a 2003 server??

ive got a pool of 9 servers at teh moment, 3 boxes with 3 servers on each box. if i can get 4 servers per box on each of my machines with theses new optimisations i'm gonna do it to maximise my rescources.

and im sure server admins could just copy all the dm/br/ctf/dom content from ut2004 into their ut2003 server folders and play them anyway, so whats to be acheived by stopping 2k3 clients connecting to 2k4 servers?

OBVIOUSLY you have to stop them connecting to ONS and AS servers, thats plain to any1 with half a brain.

Comment

I'll probably switch out my UT2003 server for my site http://www.utforums.com to a UT2004 server, it'll probably get more players since it'll be a newer game.

Comment

We'll be running 2 UT2004 Demo servers once it is released. I'm thinking one for Onslaught and the other CTF. 10 - 12 player max per server, depending on how good the netcode is.

Comment

As soon as the demo is out. Location: San Jose,CA. With default settings... ie no low-grav or IG. Server already reserved

Comment

will it be possible with the demo to host the levels of the demo in a dedicated console? if so, then i'm gonna host when the demo hits, if not, then i'm gonna host when the dedicated gets released.

Comment

Working...
                              X