Ut2004 Release 'strategy'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ut2004 Release 'strategy'

Pushing the release to holiday seems, at least in my eyes, a simple yet effective strategy (if it were employed). The obvious giants doom3 and halflife 2 being in the holiday season would surely overshadow all games of similar genre. Releasing ut2004 before this time would mean that fps players would take a big bite out of ut2004, but after experiencing it for a month or so will join the troops of the two POWERS (not sauron and saruman), but d3, and hl2.

Releasing ut2004 in holiday times however will keep the game fresh, and players will play the main powers but come over to ut2004 as well to experience it.

In essence releasing ut2004 before is like providing fps gamers a teaser, oppose to releasing with the powers, which would yield ut2004 more of a meal in itself, so to speak.

Nevertheless the games themselves will be the deciding factor.

Comment

I'm sorry, but this thread makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment

I get it

Comment

Originally posted by Zyngath
          I'm sorry, but this thread makes no sense whatsoever.
          Agreed.

Comment

I agree with him, but releasing the game with HL2 and DOOM III could damage the sales of UT2004. I think it can stand it own between all the big titles but HL2 and DOOM III have waaaay biggers hypes around them. All in all i think UT2004 will do fine, i believe Epic is hoping for a 3 million copy sell count.

Comment

All games have a base community. Release date affects sales in the short run not long run.

Comment

Originally posted by X0n3r0g
                All games have a base community. Release date affects sales in the short run not long run.
                not true. Most people don't buy 2/3/4 games at a time. Most people buy one. So when you have 3 BIG titles out at the same time, all three titles will suffer sales loss. By the time the gamer will buy another game UT2004/DOOM III/HL2 will be old news. The average gamer is the group that make up for the most sold copies and the average gamer go's for a whel know name and the hype.

Comment

You are right about that 191.

However, look at UT1 and Quake 3.
                  Both released around the same time.
                  Both revolutionalised the games industry.
                  Both competed feverishly against each other.
                  Both had high online numbers.

So now I think the only competition for ut2004 is actually HL2!
                  Not doom 3 since I really feel it will fail online. Sure it will get loads of sales. But its gonna be unreal 2 all over again, except with more sales.

Oh and another thing to create a counter arguement.
                  Right. HL1 was released way before UT and Q3. It practically dominated the online community and continues to do so even till today! So what do you have to say about that?

Man whenever I talk about this stuff I'm thinking I'm not making any sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CH405
                    Not doom 3 since I really feel it will fail online. Sure it will get loads of sales. But its gonna be unreal 2 all over again, except with more sales.
                    I totally disagree, I am more than sure that DOOM3 is gonna be one hell (pun, yes I know ) of an expeirence. You just cant compare it to Unreal2, which, BTW, was NOT a bad game, I still enjoy playing it.

Comment

Right. HL1 was released way before UT and Q3. It practically dominated the online community and continues to do so even till today! So what do you have to say about that?

Man whenever I talk about this stuff I'm thinking I'm not making any sense at all.
                      Your taking both sides. :bulb:

Comment

Very few people play Both UT and Quake 3 actively.

It is not about online/offline. People will be wanting to play DOOM 3 and most people will have to make a choice about what game to but, and believe me DOOM 3 will sell. It has the name (DOOM) the company name (ID) and the man (John Carmack). HL2 has HL1 and the promise of CS, TF etc.

Because HL1 is old people will be getting a new game/games after buying HL1 (UT and Quake3), but still will be playing HL1. And the fact that not everybody can afford a powerfull gaming computer so they are "forced" to play older games.

I think UT2004, HL2 and DOOM 3 will sell like crazy but won't get the same sales if they would be release alone without competition.

Comment

Doom 3 is being released late 2004 and it's entirely possible HL2 may have a similar delay now that everyone and their grandma has the source code. The best plan for UT2k4 would be to get it out well in advance of both games so that people will be playing it for a year while waiting for the others.

Comment

Originally posted by acc
                            Doom 3 is being released late 2004 and it's entirely possible HL2 may have a similar delay now that everyone and their grandma has the source code. The best plan for UT2k4 would be to get it out well in advance of both games so that people will be playing it for a year while waiting for the others.
                            Erm... just a question: Where did you hear that Doom III is planned for late 2004 ? AFAIK the release date for DIII is sometime in Q1 2004.

Comment

madjack saves the day

Comment

Working...
                              X