Clans Good Or Bad ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clans Good Or Bad ????

after the piratting of my thread ,, and the turning into a flame war for if clans r good or bad i decided to make a poll for it so here

Option 5: I can't spell.

Comment

Option 6:

Originally posted by Excell
      Go to school :up:

Comment

Clans can be either good or bad.

I wouldn't lump them all into one group.

Comment

Clans are the single best thing to keep UT2k4 interesting. There are many reasons for this.

Not only is it practical having people to play with when you feel like it, but you actually add a social factor to gaming, which in general, isn't a very social act. We actually have good discussions on our clan channel, its more than just about playing UT2k4.

Also, there's only so far you can develop on a public server. Onslaught is a teamgame, and to develop you need a team to develop with. Publics are mostly about individual performance. It might work with the team, but not always.

So why would clans suck, is my question? You can keep out of one if you're ****, and stay on publics. One might say "I hate it when clanners join publics and pwn". Well, that's just how it goes. People get better than you, they will pwn you. But in the process, you might actually learn something?

Well, other than your ultimate goal should be joining a clan

Comment

organised games do provide added value for the unreal universe. If you've ever moaned 'teams' or shouted at your teammates for not playing tactically then a caln is for you.

They arent all groups of kids from the same year at school. Some are multinational groups with adult members who fit in games between their work, wives and kids.

As with everything there are good and bad examples, but with experience you know which teams to steer clear of and which to play every week.

I dont think clans remove anything from the scene, tossers will always be twats online whether they are in a clan or not. Friends will always sometimes group together on publics, this isnt exclusive to clans. Clan players owning on a public? Well surely they'd do that if they werent in a clan? Simply having a tag doesnt make you an uber fragger!

I dont see what the problem is, they provide servers and organise games. Dont like it? Dont join!

I never saw the point myself as a cynical older dude. But I met up with some similar people and have enjoyed it ever since, Im glad that I am not a closed minded fool - I would have missed out on something that has proved quite fun!

Comment

We’ll now this is an extremely feebleminded thing that goes around these forums more times than you can count. People are always flaming people about spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Now I would just like to point out the different age levels and intelligence levels in our community. Maybe not everyone has the capability to spell every work correctly and write in proper sentence structure. You guys are sometimes pathetic in the ways you constantly degrade each other because of minor problems that don’t even need to be brought up. If everyone would just accept each others differences then imp sure we would be a much stronger community and would be a much larger one as well. On regards to me not being able to spell, I'm pretty sure I'm spelling everything correctly now. You see I don’t worry about spelling in a forum because all I am concerned about is getting my message through now you others can all flame away at me because you usually do but I’m am now content that I have been voiced. Thank you for spending the time to listen to me rant.

Comment

Also there is a very big break down in terms of the clanners you meet… I would offer up SPP as an example.

There is a group of “retired” people that don’t play, post rarely but help fund the servers and our actions. The old timers… you won’t ever see them in game, and unless you are in the clan you probably won’t even see them on our forums.

The there is the “non-competitors” these are the people you see on pubs. They map, they play for fun, they used to compete but didn’t have the time. The bust their balls making sigs maps and web sites and also help fuel the clan financially. Some in that category are admins on ladders or organizations and just don’t have the time anymore.

Then there is the rather small competitive core. You don’t see much of them on pubs, and odds are they are under alias (due to most pubbers being quick to cry hax for no reason). Most of the game time is spent in semi private servers with known friends, and that group is fairly competitive (even though we are lazy for the summer).

You can’t base clans, of the actions of a few you have encountered… nor can base a clan off a few of the members.

It’s also silly to say that the game can’t be enjoyed outside of a clan. If you have earned respect with clans (note this is not done by toping the score in ONS) odds are you can get into semi private games. At which point you are playing with people that know how to play, and aren’t out to stat *****. The whole event is treated as a practice and people will be there to play seriously. If you can work your way into that group you can grab great games all the time, and never have the pressure of competing. Odds are you will be able to pick a team if you so choose to.

Comment

Never a truer word(s) spoken Saito :up: :haha:

Comment

My only problem with clans is that I can't decide which one to join

We’ll now this is an extremely feebleminded thing that goes around these forums more times than you can count. People are always flaming people about spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Now I would just like to point out the different age levels and intelligence levels in our community. Maybe not everyone has the capability to spell every work correctly and write in proper sentence structure. You guys are sometimes pathetic in the ways you constantly degrade each other because of minor problems that don’t even need to be brought up. If everyone would just accept each others differences then imp sure we would be a much stronger community and would be a much larger one as well. On regards to me not being able to spell, I'm pretty sure I'm spelling everything correctly now. You see I don’t worry about spelling in a forum because all I am concerned about is getting my message through now you others can all flame away at me because you usually do but I’m am now content that I have been voiced. Thank you for spending the time to listen to me rant.
                    The reason people get annoyed with poor spelling and grammar is that it is less pleasant to read. Large amounts of text without punctuation is irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by =NS=ReaperII
                      If everyone would just accept each others differences then imp sure we would be a much stronger community and would be a much larger one as well.
                      Just had to do it

Comment

Bit of a simple point of view, but it's just my opinion:

Clans are good for those who play the game regularly and want more than just the odd, teamwork-less match, and a little more interaction with other people who play the game. They add a reason to want to get better.

Clans are bad for sometimes being elitist, unkind to players who don't always have time to play, and intimidating to players who are new to UT, who stumble across a server filled with clan dudes/dudettes and get a kicking.

I dunno, it depends on your own standpoint, I don't think there's a definitive answer. I'm in one, but only because it's got a relaxed attitude and a mentality of 'fun first, competition second'.

Comment

clans are groups of people who like to play games with each other.

I'm having trouble getting worked up for it on either side of the fence. I just... don't... care. Where's *that* option?

Comment

the problem with that is that most people out of the "competitive community" refuse to deal with the various mutators, items used in it.

The game between the competitive community and the rest is rather large due to mass misunderstandings on either side.

At some point most of us need to grow up and realize people play this game at different levels and for different reasons. Some of the best servers out there are run by clans that compete, and they are well taken care of and some of those clans run networks to train players.

I admin at gameamp, and while I can hold my own, we have some world famous players on our staff (these guys are of clan demise fame and they ****ing own), and we have top players to help them outside of the network. We are actually training a good clan to take it to the next level. There are allot of players out there that put in a modicum of effort to help out and step up to the plate.

Don’t swear off clans because a few kids in school on the same team acted the fool in game. Honestly most of the better teams out there are older and fairly mature reasonable people.

Comment

Originally posted by Saito
                              Also there is a very big break down in terms of the clanners you meet… I would offer up SPP as an example.

There is a group of “retired” people that don’t play, post rarely but help fund the servers and our actions. The old timers… you won’t ever see them in game, and unless you are in the clan you probably won’t even see them on our forums.

The there is the “non-competitors” these are the people you see on pubs. They map, they play for fun, they used to compete but didn’t have the time. The bust their balls making sigs maps and web sites and also help fuel the clan financially. Some in that category are admins on ladders or organizations and just don’t have the time anymore.

Then there is the rather small competitive core. You don’t see much of them on pubs, and odds are they are under alias (due to most pubbers being quick to cry hax for no reason). Most of the game time is spent in semi private servers with known friends, and that group is fairly competitive (even though we are lazy for the summer).

You can’t base clans, of the actions of a few you have encountered… nor can base a clan off a few of the members.

It’s also silly to say that the game can’t be enjoyed outside of a clan. If you have earned respect with clans (note this is not done by toping the score in ONS) odds are you can get into semi private games. At which point you are playing with people that know how to play, and aren’t out to stat *****. The whole event is treated as a practice and people will be there to play seriously. If you can work your way into that group you can grab great games all the time, and never have the pressure of competing. Odds are you will be able to pick a team if you so choose to.
                              Couldnt have said it better myself :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X