Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Septik
    but it'll never be a GUI-based OS like Windows.
    It dont need to be totaly GUI based but you need to have full and easy controll of the entire thing from the GUI...

Yes this might seem like something lazy/unessesary to the avrange Linux junkie but the avrange windows user wount go to a partly GUI coverd OS without great difficulty...

Linux rocks for what's it's meant to be = Servers and other advanced dedicated tasks.. but it lacks in the desktop use area..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Linux will always be a text based OS, with an optional GUI running on top.
    You might be able to control the whole OS through a GUI (KDE, Gnome...), be it now or in a near/far future, but it'll never be a GUI-based OS like Windows.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by j0ntar
    LOL man, Apples GUi also runs ontop of darwin.. the same way X runs ontop of linux..
    I know but with x and other window managers you can actualy feel it being text-based somewhere in the background since all features are not implemented in the gui.. and generaly the gui looks like ***...

in OSX you cant tell.. OSX is totaly immersive and looks kickass.. with smooth animated and rouned aqua... linux graphics usualy are meant to save system resorces and look pants...

I like Linux I dual boot WinXP SP1 (Tiger EMU) and Gentoo but I dont think linux have some to a stage where it actualy is a option over WinXP for desktop use...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KriLL3
    You obvisuly haven't Tried OSX 10.2-4

KDE and Gnome are generaly ugly and not user friendly... and you often need to type commands to do everyday stuff... nothing for the avrange GUI gi-joe... Linux is a text based OS with a addition of a GUI (kinda like Win3.11) and not a full standalone GUI based OS...
    LOL man, Apples GUi also runs ontop of darwin.. the same way X runs ontop of linux..

How did this turn into another O/S war??

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KhaaL
    btw, how can you call linux window managers stiff? they have the move delicous GUI of any OS :weird:
    You obvisuly haven't Tried OSX 10.2-4

Apple makes POS computers/hardware but the OS's looks rocks (compability and flexibility is somewhat an issue though)

KDE and Gnome are generaly ugly and not user friendly... and you often need to type commands to do everyday stuff... nothing for the avrange GUI gi-joe... Linux is a text based OS with a addition of a GUI (kinda like Win3.11) and not a full standalone GUI based OS...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not that new. It's just Winex4, that has been renamed to Cedega. Added support for new games and better performance for some games already supported in previous releases.

I used winex3.2 to run MaxPaine2 and SoF2, but native binaries are the way to go. I hope this just makes more gamers to switch to the linux platform so game developers take more interest in releasing games for us.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yay, im really looking forward to this

considering how longhorn will be (the palladium "feature") its only a matter of time until i switch to linux, and this will be a tremedous help

btw, how can you call linux window managers stiff? they have the move delicous GUI of any OS :weird:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I feel your pain, i cant get used to the stiff window managers too. Its not that i cant use them, its that i dont want to. They just srent slick enough IMHO. Im kinda with you on the OSX thing, i been thinking of a mac move lately to be honest.

I dont know, i think since mac borrowed from the unix world that unix should have issue borrowing from the mac world. Just make some more functional and intelligently designed interfaces that look nice too and ill probably come back. I know its a stupid thing to have a bug up my *** about, but i do. Linux proven itself a more stable OS, just needs some prettying up now

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Intresting...

Only reason why WinXP remains my primary OS is becuse it's alot less hassle to use and Adobe products dont like Linux...

And I realy dont like any of the window managers.. KDE and Gnome both are alittle stiff compared to Windows+ tweak ulilites

When there comes a Linux distro that's as user friendly and 100% graphical and looks like OSX I'll switch to Linux no doubt.. but atm I dont realy like it...

(Yes my WinXP enviroment is more or less a OSX Tiger emulation)

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Whole New Way to Play Games on Linux

Whole New Way to Play Games on Linux

I think some of you linux fans here might be interested in this read. -=] I myself might be able to drop the windows partitions with this weeee.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7609
Working...
X