[ONS] Timeout setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ONS] Timeout setting

What do you fine folks think is a reasonable timeout setting? In other words, how long should the game last until the core starts a forced drain? I just left one of the official Atari ONS servers, and the game timeout setting is 45 minutes. My personal opinion is that 45 minutes is too long, but that's just my opinion. About half the games I play end in overtime, and of those, most become deadlocked in the first 10 minutes or so. In that scenario, a 45 minute timeout would mean 35 minutes of stalemate, which kind of sucks. I prefer a 20 minute timeout, but would be interested in hearing what others think.

And if there is a bunch of you that think 45 minutes is too long, maybe an e-mail to Pezman would cause things to change. I'm assuming that the 45 minutes applies to all ONS servers in both US and Europe, so we all have a vested interest to see them set up properly.

Most servers are 20mins not 45.

Comment

I'd go down to 15 even. Like you say, anything after 10 is usually just boring stalemate.

Comment

20 or 15 minutes is fine

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
          I'd go down to 15 even. Like you say, anything after 10 is usually just boring stalemate.
          Wrong.

A balanced match on Dria will go into overtime with only 10 mins. So if you are unlucky you have to play 5 rounds about 12 minutes each. This is about an hour and THAT is boring.

Comment

I had it set to 10 minutes, but that was just a bit too short. I saw multiple games where someone's core would be down to just a tiny bit left, then the game would hit OT.

I upped it to 14 minutes, just to be different from the more common 15.

I just wish the setting weren't based on points. I want to see 2 wins from a side. Best of 3 would be absolutely ideal. Max round time of 13 minutes. That'd bring you to around 45 minutes if all 3 rounds went into OT.

EDIT: Well, being able to change the scoring to 1 point per win, OT or not... that'd do the trick.

Comment

never, if it takes 2 weeks for your server to finish a battle, then so be it.

Comment

There are supposedly 200 official Atari servers. I don't know how many of those are ONS servers, but all ONS servers are currently set up with a 45 minute time limit. It's a shame to have a wealth of free, fast and well connected servers set up with a stupid timeout value, but they will stay that way until Atari hears about it from the community. I've sent my e-mail to Pezman... have you?

Comment

well as i recently found out most matches last less than 10minutes anyway. . . . .

though some pubs do drag on for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages make it 20

Comment

never, if it takes 2 weeks for your server to finish a battle, then so be it.
                    Nope.

There are a lot of servers with long time limits. Not everyone likes playing maps for a very long time, so I'm just providing a different option for people who don't want to spend all night on a single match.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef
                      Wrong.

A balanced match on Dria will go into overtime with only 10 mins.
                      That's why I suggested 15, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X