o/t FLAT PANEL vs CRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by --]crUsh[--
    Only if you are measuring the same thing: some manufacturers post the Black-White response time, while others post Grey-Grey (whichever makes their product look better). Not the same thing.
    Yes, in February, 2003 it was considered very good. There have been better products released since.
    Sure there have been better products released since then, but not regarding reponse time which directly pertains to the severity of ghosting, which is the flawed aspect of TFT's being argued here. The largest improvements in TFT panels has been in other areas such as colour and contrast ratio, ie. the Hitachi has very washed out colours compared to other TFT's - I also have a 25ms Samsung 171P which is an older monitor, but has better colours and contrast ratio than the Hitachi.

I'm not an idiot (don't assume that I'm suggesting your calling me one) and am aware that some manufacturers post misleading information to more effectively promote its product. In order to find the correct response time for a TFT panel you need both the Rise and Fall time of the screen in ms, of which you make a calculation to get the actual response time.

I think the common misonception of me and my view in this thread is that I am an ignorant CRT fanboy oblivious to the facts. This is most probably depicted from the abrupt and brash tone of my posts, which I can actually understand. The fact is though that I am fully aware of both technologies and the different aspects of each. I have owned monitors of both technologies, and can compare a high quality TFT to a high quality CRT quite fairly. My experiences of both and knowledge of the intricacies of both technlogies with respect to gaming, is where I have formulated my views. You must understand I am speaking entirely from a gaming perspective here, there are situations where a TFT is a much more worthwhile choice opposed to a CRT monitor, but this isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JCBDigger
      A few reminders about TFT LCD (which I use and like)

You MUST set it up properly
      You can ONLY use it at its native resolution or it WILL look rubbish!
      You will need a good graphics card so you can always run at the higher resolutions!
      Good point, when someone gets an 17" LCD display, native resoltion is 1280 * 1024.

Games that are released these days, and esspecially in the future are quit demanding at 1280 * 1024.

So an Radeon 9800 Pro or FX 5900 or higher is highly advisable.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3
        ... Even my old FX5600 had 2 DVI connections...
        Well that's newer than my graphics cards........

Comment

Originally posted by iApple
          Well that's newer than my graphics cards........
          My 9800pro have a VGA and a DVI connection.. it came with a DVI->VGA converter though... wounder if it goes the other way round? =P

I would ofcouse need to hide that apple logo If i would get a screen like that..

Comment

Originally posted by Xol-Dog
            Good point, when someone gets an 17" LCD display, native resoltion is 1280 * 1024.

Games that are released these days, and esspecially in the future are quit demanding at 1280 * 1024.

So an Radeon 9800 Pro or FX 5900 or higher is highly advisable.
            You're right there, I always was able to just about max out the graphics with a 9600 pro on my old 15' CRT at 1024 * 768, now with my 17' TFT i have to turn them down a little to cope with the bigger resolution, i knew i would have to turn the graphics down for newer games inevetably anyway but this just brought it on earlier.

Comment

Working...
            X