o/t FLAT PANEL vs CRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

o/t FLAT PANEL vs CRT

Ok I will be getting new computer in about a month and was loking at getting flat panel because I heard that they no longer lag in gaming. Is this true? or should I get a CRT.

A good flat panel is just fine. For me, I really had no choice though because my desk isnt big enough for a CRT.

Comment

This thread will end up like this:

- people who never seen a good tft in action will say tft's suck for gaming and advise a crt.
      - people who have seen good tft's in action will say, buy a tft!

So here's my advise:

Buy a good tft (with at least 20ms response time), i got a 16ms iiyama e431s and i never ever experienced ghosting, the image is crystal clear, much better than my old 19" iiyama crt and the colors are amazing. You simply see so much more detail with a good tft compared to a crt.

The only downside of a tft is the following:
      - native res of 1280x1024 for 17" and 19". This means to get a clear image you'll need to run all your games in this res. Some games won't run very fast if you use this resolution without a killer rig.

Comment

I agree with Noz.
        I intend to get my self a TFT soon aswell I'm getting an LG 17" one with 16ms. Should do fine for my needs. Besides, my current CRT is on the verge of death.

CRT's are significantly cheaper. So it really depends on how much your willing to spend and how much desk space you have. But if you want quality, stick with TFT.:up:

Comment

Originally posted by Noz
          This thread will end up like this:

- people who never seen a good tft in action will say tft's suck for gaming and advise a crt.
          - people who have seen good tft's in action will say, buy a tft!

So here's my advise:

Buy a good tft (with at least 20ms response time), i got a 16ms iiyama e431s and i never ever experienced ghosting, the image is crystal clear, much better than my old 19" iiyama crt and the colors are amazing. You simply see so much more detail with a good tft compared to a crt.

The only downside of a tft is the following:
          - native res of 1280x1024 for 17" and 19". This means to get a clear image you'll need to run all your games in this res. Some games won't run very fast if you use this resolution without a killer rig.
          at least 16 ms you mean

Comment

Thanks all. Is TFT Flat panel? and this may sound noob but is flat panel and lcd the same?

Comment

Originally posted by CH405
              I agree with Noz.
              I intend to get my self a TFT soon aswell I'm getting an LG 17" one with 16ms. Should do fine for my needs. Besides, my current CRT is on the verge of death.

CRT's are significantly cheaper. So it really depends on how much your willing to spend and how much desk space you have. But if you want quality, stick with TFT.:up:
              Yo, not the L1710S per chance? I'm on one right now, they're ace, no ghosting at all, ignore all these people that say TFT's are still rubbish, the 16ms is plenty enough.

And to the guy who said about the TFT needing to be under 15ms, 16ms is ok too :up:

BTW it's nice to have a few people together in a thread who are for TFT's, i've been defending them for so long (since i got mine as it goes)

Comment

I much prefer a big bulky radiation-producing dust-attracting headache-inducing Cathode-ray 'beast' any day of the week. It hurts my eyes and i love it. :up: :bulb: :up: :up:

Comment

Im using a LG L1800P and its fantastic i wouldnt go back to CRT

Comment

I have a 16ms TFT and ghosting is EASILY noticable, its totally outperformed by a CRT in comparison as far as gaming is concerned.

Anyone that says theres no ghosting must be blind, seriously. Its like every player has motion blur.

I've had the TFT for about a year, and well I've come to realise they aren't all that tbh, the technology still has a long way to go. I'll be selling my TFT for a really nice mitsu CRT - my mate did the same with his hitachi tft because of the ghosting (thats a 16ms tft), except he only owned his for about 2 weeks before getting totally fed up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenOath
                      I have a 16ms TFT and ghosting is EASILY noticable, its totally outperformed by a CRT in comparison as far as gaming is concerned.

Anyone that says theres no ghosting must be blind, seriously. Its like every player has motion blur.

I've had the TFT for about a year, and well I've come to realise they aren't all that tbh, the technology still has a long way to go. I'll be selling my TFT for a really nice mitsu CRT - my mate did the same with his hitachi tft because of the ghosting (thats a 16ms tft), except he only owned his for about 2 weeks before getting totally fed up with it.
                      I really can't understand that, how can anyone notice blurring so much on a 16ms TFT that it would make them get rid. I think people make an effort to move the mouse as fast as is humanly possible in game just so they can say "it ghosts real bad". Normal play, at normal speed UT2K4 and every other game for that matter is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pbze
                        I really can't understand that, how can anyone notice blurring so much on a 16ms TFT that it would make them get rid. I think people make an effort to move the mouse as fast as is humanly possible in game just so they can say "it ghosts real bad". Normal play, at normal speed UT2K4 and every other game for that matter is fine.
                        If it was fine, then I wouldn't have a reason for selling it. I'm speaking from a totally unbiased perspective, if I could keep the TFT then I would, no question! The clarity, perfect geometry and less footprint are really nice features to have. The blurring is just too much for me to accept, it really puts me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dont_Shoot
                          Thanks all. Is TFT Flat panel? and this may sound noob but is flat panel and lcd the same?
                          Yes TFT (thin film transistor) is the same as flat panel, unless you’re talking plasma…

I mostly play on a TFT as it’s the screen on my main rig, but I also use the CRTs on my other machines. I use the computers for work and I have to say the TFT is much more comfortable if you have to be staring at it for ages. I’ve never noticed any ghosting even though the TFT is fairly low end.

If you need to work seriously with colour images then high quality CRTs still rule the roost. For anything else the TFTs win……. (in my opinion.)

Comment

I much prefer a big bulky radiation-producing dust-attracting headache-inducing Cathode-ray 'beast' any day of the week. It hurts my eyes and i love it.
                            Lots of truth to that, my CRT sent me to the eye doctor for some computer classes. I had my TFT for my 2nd system, but I have now removed the TFT from my 2nd system and put it on my main system.

I don’t have room on my desk to put the CRT on the 2nd system so for now I’ll just go without it. I’ve been pretty impressed so far. It’s also easier on my eyes if I don’t wear the computer glasses.

Comment

I have 30ms respons time, and it seems fine to me.......... Maybe just because I've never played UT on anything else?

Comment

Working...
                              X