The Translocator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cythes
    See what happens when a homing rocket hits somebody Boksha.
    usually instant death if they are at full health.
    Let me check my notes.
    OK, according to the uscript code, a homing rocket uses the same damage as a normal rocket. (SeekingRocketProj is a subclass of RocketProj, and neither the "damage" variable or the "explode" function are redefined)
    Tried it with TTM's weapon stats and slomo on a masterful bot, and tried 3 rockets direct-hit. They didn't always do precisely 90 damage, but if they didn't, it was a number belów 90. (once 89 and once 82) Anyway, why were we talking about this again?

Comment

Originally posted by Morba
      unsure why i even bothered to click to read your post, thank god your still on my ignore :>
      Probably because you're trolling like a loser, looking to start ****. Like a loser. Because you are, in fact, a loser.

Or maybe you're just scanning for posts that mention Tribes, that sissy TWL game?

Whatever the case, the fact remains: you're a loser.

Comment

OMG people! I can't believe the whining coming from this forum. "The telefrag is not fair, it should be banned." "TL'ing is wrong and I don't like it." "Some jerk took a shot at me and he owned me. " "I'm leet and all others are not because they use TL." Well, listen up whiners! The TL has been TONED down from UT in its recharge abilities. The tele-zone has increased. That's because it has increased power. You telefrag someone by creating a "tele-zone" where they are physically located. Is physics that difficult to understand? Maybe you should quit gaming and hit the books, you whiny **** morons.

I did not like the TL in UT because many ppl abused it. I even saw it being used when a player had the flag. WTF? Talk about cheating. I actually do like the TL as long as players do not abuse it. Telefrags are not abuse (except spawnkilling) and the TL can be defeated by shooting at the other team's TLs when you locate them.

I do not intend for this to be a flame to those ppl who don't like the TL. I just get so tired of seeing all the assinine posts that are more like someone venting their anger at the world than constructive criticism. I realize that tensions are up right now, what with UT2K4 on the horizon. This, added with the UT vs UT2K3 arguments, is truly turning what should be an informative and helpful forums, into a complete and idiotic warzone.

Carry on.

Comment

LOL! You tell 'em, Crotale! :up:

Comment

OMG people! I can't believe the whining coming from this forum. "The telefrag is not fair, it should be banned." "TL'ing is wrong and I don't like it." "Some jerk took a shot at me and he owned me. " "I'm leet and all others are not because they use TL." Well, listen up whiners! The TL has been TONED down from UT in its recharge abilities. The tele-zone has increased. That's because it has increased power. You telefrag someone by creating a "tele-zone" where they are physically located. Is physics that difficult to understand? Maybe you should quit gaming and hit the books, you whiny **** morons.

I did not like the TL in UT because many ppl abused it. I even saw it being used when a player had the flag. WTF? Talk about cheating. I actually do like the TL as long as players do not abuse it. Telefrags are not abuse (except spawnkilling) and the TL can be defeated by shooting at the other team's TLs when you locate them.

I do not intend for this to be a flame to those ppl who don't like the TL. I just get so tired of seeing all the assinine posts that are more like someone venting their anger at the world than constructive criticism. I realize that tensions are up right now, what with UT2K4 on the horizon. This, added with the UT vs UT2K3 arguments, is truly turning what should be an informative and helpful forums, into a complete and idiotic warzone.
            ok lets clear somethings up here..

1. we're not asking for anything, you'll notice this thread ISNT entitled " OMG EPIC YOU MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!!" its simply titled "The Translocator"

2. NOWHERE in this thread has it been suggested by myself that the translocator should be removed or gotten rid off.

3. This is not a "please make the trans as it was in UT1" thread

4. regarding your "The TL has been TONED down from UT in its recharge abilities"
            yes your correct it has, BUT by consequence with the very fast and far straighter arc results in a device that can be spammed at close range with devestating accuracy in the right hands, and with its instagib properties has no 'real' opponent (weapon wise).

so the toning down in charges coupled with the change in trajectory has unintentionally brought up something that probably wasnt intentional.

5. regarding your cheating accusastion by some1 who used it while carrying the flag......lmao, you can still use the tranny while you have the flag, you'll just have to remember to pick it back up after you've translocated. theres NOTHING stopping a flag carrier trying to telefrag an opponent if he thinks he can make the shot.

6. this thread was intended as a simple open discussion on what some of us (mostly division 1 and 2 CTF players) feel is an 'issue', this thread has highlighted that its also non clan players who also find 'issues' with it.

to my utter amazment this thread for the most part has been very constructive, theres been some good ideas raised. im sure some ppl did snap judgement votes without actually considering the issues first but hey such is life.

i believe that the translocator could quite happily go back to infinite charges IF the ability to telefrag was either removed totally or made much harder.

Someone complained earlier that the xloc was the cornerstone of Unreal CTF, your quite correct, that was never my arguement. BUT it is NOT the telefraging capabilites of the xloc that defines its place as the cornerstone of CTF, its the actual 'translocation' of it that defines it and makes it what it is.

If you take away the ability to telefrag you will NOT change the way CTF is played or the way the translocator is 'the cornerstone'. ppl will miss the telefrag for about 10 minutes and then get on with the job of just playing the game.

Comment

I think it should be as it is now but with penalties.

ex:

You lose 100% xloc ammo

and/or

You are temporairly unable to move (complimented by a nice 'jitter' effect)

and/or

You take a % damage or loose sheild

Comment

interesting idea there firecrack

if you make a telefrag you loose the ability to use the tranny for 30 seconds or sommat.

interesting

Comment

i found the mutnotelefrag that was mentioned earlier...makes TL exactly how I like it..

(added to server)

Comment

arf

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver3
                      arf
                      i don't speak k-9..no idea what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by ReverendOzwould
                        Turning into a warzone? Let's be fair and honest about this: this thread was a good discussion about what some people, including me, consider a problem. It was a constructive and friendly thread until DKoneII reared his butt-ugly head calling everybody in the thread whiners without any obvious reason or reasoning. Now, if he had an actual ARGUMENT as to why the TL shouldn't be changed, I wouldn't have flamed him. It's actually solely his fault this thread turned into a warzone.

I've provided what I consider solid arguments about why the TL should be changed. Like in a good discussion, the people that are against changing the TL should now come up with arguments that prove I'm wrong and which do not involve saying that the people making arguments are newbies and got owned.
                        I'm very strict about things like changing weapons, and stick to one very obvious rule: I do not ask for something to be changed unless I myself am able to misuse it. That quite simply means I did not got owned, and that that's certainly not the reason I ask for it to be changed.
                        Here are my reasons why I think the translocator should be harder to telefrag with:

1. At the moment, it's simply the best weapon in CTF. It kills regardless of armour. It's faster than any other weapon except for the biorifle, also it's undodgeable. It's silent and hard to detect so even IF you have time to dodge it you usually simply don't notice it. If it misses it can IMMEDIATLY refire. It's the weapon you use to move around, meaning you're already equipping it when you meet an opponent. It's a weapon you start out with and has unlimited ammo, meaning you CAN always use it. That already means it's powerful, and on top of that, it makes you harder to hit when using it. That pretty much covers why it's the best weapon in CTF.
                        2. If the translocator is the best weapon, you don't really have any use for the other weapons, especially the close range weapons like the flak, rocketlauncher, biorifle, minigun and linkgun. If you only use one weapon while you have ammo for it, CTF quickly becomes a dull game that focusses on a single skill instead of use of different weapons and teamplay.
                        3. Dull is not fun. People want the game to be fun.

I'm not saying the telefrag should be removed, because that's dull too. But with eyes on the fact that in UT2k4 the translocator will have extra charges and a faster reload, there should be a limiting factor. I propose this limiting factor should be extra sound when launching the dish, and a minimum time (150ms to 300ms or so, keep it low to prevent people from feeling limited) between throwing and teleporting, removing skill-less rapid reteleporting. The result would be that the telefrag would be harder to do and require more skill and accuracy. I don't really see why anyone wouldn't want that.

Comment

ok lets clear somethings up here..

4. regarding your "The TL has been TONED down from UT in its recharge abilities"
                          yes your correct it has, BUT by consequence with the very fast and far straighter arc results in a device that can be spammed at close range with devestating accuracy in the right hands, and with its instagib properties has no 'real' opponent (weapon wise).

so the toning down in charges coupled with the change in trajectory has unintentionally brought up something that probably wasnt intentional.

5. regarding your cheating accusastion by some1 who used it while carrying the flag......lmao, you can still use the tranny while you have the flag, you'll just have to remember to pick it back up after you've translocated. theres NOTHING stopping a flag carrier trying to telefrag an opponent if he thinks he can make the shot.

6. this thread was intended as a simple open discussion on what some of us (mostly division 1 and 2 CTF players) feel is an 'issue', this thread has highlighted that its also non clan players who also find 'issues' with it.

Someone complained earlier that the xloc was the cornerstone of Unreal CTF, your quite correct, that was never my arguement. BUT it is NOT the telefraging capabilites of the xloc that defines its place as the cornerstone of CTF, its the actual 'translocation' of it that defines it and makes it what it is.

If you take away the ability to telefrag you will NOT change the way CTF is played or the way the translocator is 'the cornerstone'. ppl will miss the telefrag for about 10 minutes and then get on with the job of just playing the game.
                          My response:

#4. Okay, you say the telefrag is too powerful. I remember that in my first days of playing UT, I was getting telefragged constantly by the bots. It also happened when I played online against humans. Now, in UT2K3, I've gotten telefragged. What's the difference? The TL is a device that can move you quickly from one place to another and also serve as a weapon. As a weapon, it can be defeated by using tactics. I believe that is what Epic was going for. Pezman stated something along those lines in another post recently. Would you like to see the 'Deemer thrown out also? It is very powerful, but it too can be defeated.

#5. I supose I should have expounded on that one. What I meant was that I have seen (in UT, not UT2K3) players TL'ing while CARRYING the flag. There was no dropping the flag, it was TLed also. Yes, it is a cheat. That's my point. To me, ppl who TL everywhere and cannot be seen are, IMHO, not playing fairly. I can't call it cheating. But, where's the skill in binding all those keys together? Could many of those ppl play as well w/o the binds? I'm not saying that binds are cheats. There are however, many aliases out there that could be considered cheats, because they circumvent the rules of the game.

#6. I'm cool with that. But, how come there are more posts like this one than there are posts that identify and help correct cheating and piracy? I'm not putting anyone here down, just asking the question. Maybe we as a community have our priorities out of whack.

This next question I have it a bit OT. What is it about the dodge jump that many old UTers dislike so much? I played UT for 3 years. Now, I also play UT2K3. I like the dodging. What gives?

EDIT: Boksha, I do agree with you. The TL is still susceptible to being abused, but not as bad as it was in UT, IMO. I am unsure if making if recharge faster in UT2K4 is the correct way to go either. As far as my saying that this forum is turning into a warzone, I'm talking about the Atari UT2K3/2K4 forums as a whole. Please do not take my post so personally, as it was not intended to be a personal attack on anyone.

Comment

Would you like to see the 'Deemer thrown out also? It is very powerful, but it too can be defeated.
                            erm you show me a league/ladder/cup/LAN tourney that uses superweapons???

Comment

rofl @ the noobs

and to the fool who said you can spam the TL, theres a 5 charge limit, how in the world can you spam that?

seriously this thread gets funnier and funnier by each post.

rofl @ the noobs

Comment

erm you show me a league/ladder/cup/LAN tourney that uses superweapons???
                                And not all tourneys use the TL. Is this forum only about competition?

Comment

Working...
                                X