The Translocator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The xloc was the cornerstone of UT CTF.

This is a huge reason why so many ppl that loved UT did not continue on to UT2K3.

Bring back unlimited charges.

Comment

Re: The Translocator

Originally posted by Guyver3
      ok after many many discussions on irc with lots of different ppl, ive found a general concenus that alot of ppl find the same problem with the translocator.

actually before i carry on i need to point 1 thing out:

THIS IS NOT A MAKE THE TRANNY LIKE IT WAS IN UT1 POLL/THREAD.

ok

Problem:
      the translocator as it is at the moment is the most powerful weapon in the game and totally unbalanced.

regardless of health/sheild/booster the translocator can kill any enemy. that means an attacker who plays a clever game and collects vials and shields to build up to 199/150 and possibly a booster as well for good measure is basically still a sitting duck to either a lucky (common) or timed/skilled (not so common) telefrag.

one of my clanmates tactics in fact on a certain ctf map is to leave his trans on the flagbase, hide out of immediate sight, as soon as the attacker goes for the flag he just telefrags him....

while it certianly helps us in defence, for gameplay balance its totally UNbalanced.

Suggestions:
      k what i'll outline here is just a series of quick roughly thought out options that'll go in the poll. i havent thought too long and hard about them, just a sorta quick brainstorming session with a load of ppl on irc.

Option 1

tranny stays EXACLTY as it is now.

Option 2

tranny should still have the ability to telefrag BUT should have a balancing factor, for example you can only telefrag an opponent if they have no shield and are under 100 health. (just an example)

Option 3

the translocator should NOT be a weapon, and should be purely used as its name suggests, as a transportation device. there are 8 other weapons in the game after all.

OPTION 4, You suck, the 2k3 TL sux, + they must make it like ut'99

ok for option 3 for me personally i would be quite happy for the tranny to go back to its unlimited charges. for me its the totally overpowered godlike weapon status of the tranny that caused it to be abused ( esp in UT1 ). but this of course is purely subjective to personal taste and experience.

im not looking for an 8 page discussion on "OMFG YOU R S00 LAM3 1f J00 CANT AVOID TEH TRANNSZZ!!!!:!:!P!"(E($("$"*($"£%"

just maybe for once a civilised debate on it.

i mean hey ppl complain about the GES being overpowered, i mean jeez the ges got nothing on the trans.

i shall don the 5 layers of flame retardent material now.

OPTION 4, You suck, the 2k3 TL sux, + they must make it like ut'99

Comment

Leave the ******* xloc alone, it allready sucks wind as it is, if
        anything it should have 1-2 more ammo and recharge faster.

Im tired of whining babies that can't handle this or the other gun
        and want them changed - the xloc and the abillity to telefrag is one
        of the things that defines unreal, learn to deal with it or dont play
        on servers with it enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa
          well sir i can put the beacon in the base of the flagpole where you can not even see it it does not show at all so how do you know if it is there ...try it your self it is impossible to see and if some lamer is hiding just watching the flag you have no chance all you have to do is touch it and boom you are dead better to check out stuff before spouting off about idiots.....
          1. You cannot destroy your own beacon with your weapons. The only way to destroy your own beacon is to throw it into most types of kill zones
          2. If someone pulls the trick once, fire off a rocket or a flak shell at the flag base next time, if they left a beacon and didn't notice the rocket or shell, you'll get credit for telefragging them when they attempt to telefrag you
          3. The trans beacon can be seen while in a flagbase, tho about 90% of the time, you'll miss it because A) all that will be visible is a fraction the flare it emits or B) lag or a 100 other issues causes the flare to not show on pubs/private servers

I've pulled that trick a few times myself, mostly out of boredom(or a cheap laugh) and you don't have to see the flag to watch it, all you need to do is be fairly close to your beacon and use the camera.
          Ex: Player leaves a beacon in the flagbase on Face3, he hops behind the statue that is behind the flag, pops on the cam and waits

Also, it takes a lot less than 70 damage to kill a beacon, all you need it 1 rocket either hitting it dead on, or pretty close to it

Comment

Originally posted by LittleFlower
            IMHO when you make a telefrag, both players should die. That way you can still make a tactical telefrag if really needed. But good players won't be able to abuse newbies.

You could even make it so that a telefrag kills the enemy flagcarrier, but not return the flag. That way it is even more tactical to kill an EFC with a telefrag. You can do it only when there is a teammate nearby to return the flag.

Option 2 is not practical. Too complex and adds no real value.
            Brilliant idea !!!
            I am even a bit upset not have think about that
            BTW your post has only been welcomed with "good idea" and have received no flame !!!
            This definitly should be added as an option in your poll Guyver !!!

That may be a great balance between tactical or desesperated telefrag (when you shot twice LG on someone and notice he is still armored with 199 of health to go => telefrag can be a desesperation move then) and telefrag abusing or laming !

That may please pro and anti telefrag => of course I dont count in that players who cant be pleased at all ("Leave the telefrag at it is you f00king n00bs !!! " or "take out that **** for lamorz, remove translocate that is total bull****")

Comment

Originally posted by Radeon285
              No change because it's hard to do.
              Yeah, it's hard to do alright, but not thát hard. If you practice on it for a few hours you'll see you can telefrag most people. The problem is there isn't any way to PREVENT getting telefragged, especially at close range, since people just left and right click repeatedly. (making them essentially deadly to touch AND faster than a player on foot)
              Adding a delay to it will make sure that THIS is not possible, and people can only telefrag when they actually AIM.
              AND I think it should be noisy.

Comment

I want it to be lowered one charge, I dont like people zapping all around the map like an episode of DBZ. I dont mind the telefrag though, it's a fun strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa
                  ok mabye i am not being clear enuff when the trans beacon is inside the flagstand you can not see it or kill it (at least i can not kill it read my previous posts) i do understand how you can put it in a flagstand when that flagstand is a solid object just like a wall this is a bug a defect and should be fixed. If it is next to the flagstand then it is easy to see but when inside it you can not see it at all try it and see for yourself.......
                  you cannot kill your own trans module, only the other teams.

Comment

My opinion:

No telefragging at all (although this prevents the tactical-kill option, when both players die out too, I like this a bit).

I think the TL should:

-make a louder noise, when shot (read below why).

-make the light of a landed xloc bigger/brighter (perhaps a very small emitter animation like the weapon bases have, just smaller)

-When in the air before it landed and you try to teleport and you appear next to the player you shot the xloc at, you are pushed away from him like being blown away by a shock combo, but you take no damage. The other player takes no damage either.

-When the xloc has landed and the light turned on and you teleport while anothe player is walking over it, the other player is pushed away like from a shock-combo, but takes 40 point of damage (why is he that stoopid and walks all over it)

Comment

i want a dialog box to come up when people want to shoot me. i think i should have to give permission for people to kill me in this game.

ie. noob joe walks up to me and wants to kill me. a box comes up and asks "fight noob yoe; yes or no"

i dont think its fair that people are able to kill me in this game, i want to be able to capture a flag and run around like a carebare without dying.

if epic wont put in a dialog box i want the game to sound a high pitch screetching noice when ever someone is within 20 in game yards of me.

i also want us BOTH to die if he shoots me. what fun is this game when people can kill me with weapons when its hard for me to kill them. and no i will not try to get better at the game, i want these changes done!

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver3
                        i voted for option 3 but im kinda stuck between options 2 and 3
                        Me too.. Tranny is way to overpowered as it is now..
                        Its even worse then it was in UT... In UT most telefrags was skill.. Im not saying its unskilled to telefrag but in UT2k3 there are way to many unintantionall telefrags..

Comment

Originally posted by Kel
                          1. You cannot destroy your own beacon with your weapons. The only way to destroy your own beacon is to throw it into most types of kill zones
                          2. If someone pulls the trick once, fire off a rocket or a flak shell at the flag base next time, if they left a beacon and didn't notice the rocket or shell, you'll get credit for telefragging them when they attempt to telefrag you
                          3. The trans beacon can be seen while in a flagbase, tho about 90% of the time, you'll miss it because A) all that will be visible is a fraction the flare it emits or B) lag or a 100 other issues causes the flare to not show on pubs/private servers

I've pulled that trick a few times myself, mostly out of boredom(or a cheap laugh) and you don't have to see the flag to watch it, all you need to do is be fairly close to your beacon and use the camera.
                          Ex: Player leaves a beacon in the flagbase on Face3, he hops behind the statue that is behind the flag, pops on the cam and waits

Also, it takes a lot less than 70 damage to kill a beacon, all you need it 1 rocket either hitting it dead on, or pretty close to it
                          Uh one rocket dead on does around 85-110 damage ish. Also Thanks for correcting me on having to be within sight of the flag. That camera is quite good at spying.

Comment

Originally posted by ErecT
                            Me too.. Tranny is way to overpowered as it is now..
                            Its even worse then it was in UT... In UT most telefrags was skill.. Im not saying its unskilled to telefrag but in UT2k3 there are way to many unintantionall telefrags..
                            please explain to me how its easier to kill with the TL in 2k3 compared to UT.

this is the problem here. you people are just MORONS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cythes
                              Uh one rocket dead on does around 85-110 damage ish.
                              Actually, a rocket direct-hit always does exactly 90 damage.

Comment

See what happens when a homing rocket hits somebody Boksha.
                                usually instant death if they are at full health.

Comment

Working...
                                X