The Translocator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Translocator

ok after many many discussions on irc with lots of different ppl, ive found a general concenus that alot of ppl find the same problem with the translocator.

actually before i carry on i need to point 1 thing out:

THIS IS NOT A MAKE THE TRANNY LIKE IT WAS IN UT1 POLL/THREAD.

ok

Problem:
    the translocator as it is at the moment is the most powerful weapon in the game and totally unbalanced.

regardless of health/sheild/booster the translocator can kill any enemy. that means an attacker who plays a clever game and collects vials and shields to build up to 199/150 and possibly a booster as well for good measure is basically still a sitting duck to either a lucky (common) or timed/skilled (not so common) telefrag.

one of my clanmates tactics in fact on a certain ctf map is to leave his trans on the flagbase, hide out of immediate sight, as soon as the attacker goes for the flag he just telefrags him....

while it certianly helps us in defence, for gameplay balance its totally UNbalanced.

Suggestions:
    k what i'll outline here is just a series of quick roughly thought out options that'll go in the poll. i havent thought too long and hard about them, just a sorta quick brainstorming session with a load of ppl on irc.

Option 1

tranny stays EXACLTY as it is now.

Option 2

tranny should still have the ability to telefrag BUT should have a balancing factor, for example you can only telefrag an opponent if they have no shield and are under 100 health. (just an example)

Option 3

the translocator should NOT be a weapon, and should be purely used as its name suggests, as a transportation device. there are 8 other weapons in the game after all.

ok for option 3 for me personally i would be quite happy for the tranny to go back to its unlimited charges. for me its the totally overpowered godlike weapon status of the tranny that caused it to be abused ( esp in UT1 ). but this of course is purely subjective to personal taste and experience.

im not looking for an 8 page discussion on "OMFG YOU R S00 LAM3 1f J00 CANT AVOID TEH TRANNSZZ!!!!:!:!P!"(E($("$"*($"£%"

just maybe for once a civilised debate on it.

i mean hey ppl complain about the GES being overpowered, i mean jeez the ges got nothing on the trans.

i shall don the 5 layers of flame retardent material now.

i voted for option 3 but im kinda stuck between options 2 and 3

Comment

Option 1. You know it. I know it. Hell, the whole ******* forum knows it.

Comment

Stay as it is.

Your point about your clan mate or whatever is silly. The other team should have a brain and seek him out. After being "burnt" you shouldnt go back till you put out the fire. so to speak.

The Transolcator isnt a problem at all imo

Comment

You'd be surprised how many people know of that trick and shoot a rocket/etc at the flagbase first

Comment

It was balanced in UT1, but too weapon-y in UT2k3, because of how fast and straight it flies.
            IMO, there should be a mimimum time of maybe half a second between firing the translocator and actually translocating. (if you use it for transport you let it fly for a while anyway, so it wouldn't slow down the game except in VERY winding maps) The way it is now you can just stand next to someone, fire and immediatly press the secondary fire. Instant undodgeable telefrag.
            Also, the sound it makes when firing should be louder. (more like UT1 as well)

Comment

Option 1 for me.

Its been this way for years.

2 ppl cannot occupy 1 space, so its either it frags, or it doesnt - option 2 is pointless imo.

however things need to be done to make it so that telefrags have to be more accurate (like it was in UT).

Comment

Originally posted by Morba
                however things need to be done to make it so that telefrags have to be more accurate (like it was in UT).
                Actually, ATM they need to be MORE accurate, but the problem is that they can be pulled off too fast and too sneaky. (instant translocating without a firing sound)

Comment

2 ppl cannot occupy 1 space, so its either it frags, or it doesnt - option 2 is pointless imo.
                  i knew this would come up, the trans beacon is a solid object, to get a 'true' telefrag the beacon would have to be a ghost like object that could pass thru the enemies body so that to telefrag you translocate 'inside' teh enemies body blowing him apart.

but this thread isnt about the 'physics' or science of translocating matter. its about a weapon thats totally overpowered.

the fact that it can kill regardless of health/armour kind of defeats the entire purpose of collecting it in the first place.

Comment

IMHO when you make a telefrag, both players should die. That way you can still make a tactical telefrag if really needed. But good players won't be able to abuse newbies.

You could even make it so that a telefrag kills the enemy flagcarrier, but not return the flag. That way it is even more tactical to kill an EFC with a telefrag. You can do it only when there is a teammate nearby to return the flag.

Option 2 is not practical. Too complex and adds no real value.

Comment

I voted for option #3 because I agree with Guyver3 that the TL is FAR too powerful as a weapon.

One other thing, can you telefrag a teammate when Friendly Fire is enabled? If not, why not? After all, is is simply another weapon. If you can, what happens if FF is set to less than 100% - say 5% for example?

Comment

How about an Option #4?

Take the **** thing out of the game entirely.

Once they have land & air vehicles, there will be no need for such tripe.

I don't play the team games because of the Translocator. It reduces play to a single skill—and I want combat, not sissy teleportation and telefragging. It's as bad as that sissy Tribes 2 with its lame skiing.

Comment

yea go with option 4 take this **** out
                          its ****in newb to play dm with translocator i h8 it delete him g0g0gog0o

Comment

Originally posted by Malo Hombre
                            How about an Option #4?

Take the **** thing out of the game entirely.

Once they have land & air vehicles, there will be no need for such tripe.

unsure why i even bothered to click to read your post, thank god your still on my ignore :>

Comment

the insta shock rifle is way to overpowered, and should be toned down........

i cant believe that weve now got onto saying that the trans is overpowered.

Comment

Working...
                              X