Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like an UT-emulating gametype for UT2004? (Poll & Sugg. for Epic included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powerslave666
    *tired of these threads*
    *tired of people reading threads they are tired of*

Comment

Why would you wanna do that anyways when you already have UT99 to play? Redundant? Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by danseko
        Maybe I do have some issues with Epic, after all I did pay for
        UT2003, got the bad UT/UT2 split, absolutely no two weeks of
        feedback after the demo (which sounded so good in advance).
        None of us who felt UT2003 could have taken a different direction
        got any sort of response to our issues.

UT2003 is not my life, it's just my hobby. I love a good game and
        would like the UT series back on the FPS throne, where it belongs.
        That's all this means to me.

Anyway, if you think I hate Epic, then I've either formulated myself
        poorly or you've misread my post.

I've got nothing against UnrealGrrl, but we had just gotten the
        discussion on track and then she comes along with another
        "this is whining", "I am not for this", "this is never going to
        happen" kind of stuff that's just annoying, plus it's been said
        about fifty times in this thread already.

No offense, but that's bullsh't.
        There's a big distance between UT2k3 and UT, and there is
        definitely room for something inbetween.
        Dude, I didn't mean to sound like I was jumping into your poo. I too have noticed that UT2K3 is not the same as UT. The atmosphere is what I miss the most. UT2K3 just doesn't capture the atmosphere the way UT did. I love UT and play when I can. But I hate online UT play because I kept on running into cheaters. I quit playing UT online.

Well, when UT2K3 came out, I was excited. I actually found a UT2K3 clan that plays with honor and integrity, not just to win.

The numbers game is odd. Odd in that ppl will look at them and say "Oh. that game sucks because the numbers are low", never realizing that if they join a server others will too. Then the numbers will go up. Maybe not to the proprtion of UT, but they will increase.

The player scaling is off, but I only notice it on user made maps. I spent a couple of hours with Logan, of 3DBuzz, and he took me through mapmaking. His maps had the proper scaling. That means it is possible to have correct scaling in UT2K3.

Comment

No offense, but that's bullsh't.
          There's a big distance between UT2k3 and UT, and there is
          definitely room for something inbetween.
          Through all of the pointless whinging you do, this is certainly something I can agree with. I liked UT, I liked UT2k3, something in between if it makes you shut the hell up would be just as acceptable to me.

Then again, you'll probably still whine that it isn't UT.

Comment

no.1

Read the poll m8!

It's not about changing UT2004 to be like UT99, it's about
            adding an extra gametype so that those who want the old UT99
            gameplay can play that every now and then with upgraded
            graphics and new player models.
            no.1

Comment

Re: Re: Would you like an UT-emulating gametype for UT2004? (Poll & Sugg. for Epic included)

Originally posted by Boksha
              All of your suggestions require new maps (as well as a different approach to mapping). And I don't think the whole UT1 crowd will switch to UT2k4 even if this mod was in, that's just not going to happen. in fact, I strongly doubt even half will make the switch. I mean, they're playing UT1. Why would they want to play "the other UT1"? What has it got to offer UT1 doesn't? (apart from being very well CD-key protected, having slightly better graphics that you actually wanted toned down... and a complete lack of maps)
              What I'm going to say has been said before. It's a really lame remark, and you probably won't like to hear it again. However, it is very true. If you want UT1... it's already there: go play it!
              I think the extra copies this mod would sell would certainly not be worth the time spent making it.
              i would buy it

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron
                I think we UTers were spoiled by a mighty fine game.
                :up:

... Car Analogy ...
                I'm pretty sure the first Porche handled different than the second, and the second much different than current Porches.

That's because Epic have been so stubborn. Since release they
                have hardly once commented the suggestions on gameplay changes,
                suggestions coming from FPS players with up to 5-6 years of
                experience on how an FPS should work.
                So there's a formula for the perfect FPS? And there are people (but only a few that have played them up to 5 or 6 years) that know it?

I bet most of the Epic guys would fall into that whole 5-6 year experience group ... guess they're not the chosen ones.

Comment

But I hate online UT play because I kept on running into cheaters. I quit playing UT online.
                  There were very few cheaters in UT, I can guarantee you
                  that. Same in UT2003; skill-climbing is the entire appeal of the
                  games, so if you cheat.. you miss the whole point.
                  Well, when UT2K3 came out, I was excited. I actually found a UT2K3 clan that plays with honor and integrity, not just to win.
                  Great that you love UT2k3, we need more people like you,
                  unfortunately we're not so many for some reason. Which brings
                  us back to my original point..
                  The numbers game is odd. Odd in that ppl will look at them and say "Oh. that game sucks because the numbers are low", never realizing that if they join a server others will too. Then the numbers will go up. Maybe not to the proprtion of UT, but they will increase.
                  Nahhh... that's not it, you always have this factor with all games -
                  the people who don't play because there are too few people.

The important people are those who don't care about online
                  numbers at all: How much do these people keep playing the game?
                  In UT - they play it a lot, even though the game is old and already has a sequel. In UT2003, I have the impression people play it on
                  and off all the time.
                  The player scaling is off, but I only notice it on user made maps. I spent a couple of hours with Logan, of 3DBuzz, and he took me through mapmaking. His maps had the proper scaling. That means it is possible to have correct scaling in UT2K3.
                  Yes, well, that's a case of definition, maps still need to be bigger
                  than UT/Q3's because of dodgejumping. Anyway, try getting Epic
                  making properly scaled maps/characters.. I tried.. ("..and all I got was this stupid headache").

Comment

Originally posted by Aegeri
                    Through all of the pointless whinging you do, this is certainly something I can agree with. I liked UT, I liked UT2k3, something in between if it makes you shut the hell up would be just as acceptable to me.
                    Great. That was all I wanted to hear (and notice how I didn't get
                    worked up about your "pointless whinging" repeat there.. ).

Then again, you'll probably still whine that it isn't UT.
                    Hmm.. not as long as I'm part of making it
                    (jumped onto HS Spot's project, let's hope we can get something out)

Comment

Originally posted by information21
                      I'm pretty sure the first Porche handled different than the second, and the second much different than current Porches.
                      I'm pretty sure that if you give your "opponents" analogies and
                      metaphors, they will be able to overinterpret them and make
                      them sound surreal and silly.

Porsches are fast from the first touch on the pedal. If you got
                      anything less and was a Porsche freak, you'd complain.

The points in the "analogy" was that it's stupid to ask a customer
                      to fix what he thinks the manufacturer did wrong. Simple as that.

So there's a formula for the perfect FPS? And there are people (but only a few that have played them up to 5 or 6 years) that know it?
                      Let's just say that some people are pretty definite about what
                      works for them and what doesn't.

And when a buddy of mine now has reinstalled UT2003 about 5
                      times after giving up on it each time, I actually believe him when
                      he says he's finding it hard to like.

I bet most of the Epic guys would fall into that whole 5-6 year experience group ... guess they're not the chosen ones.
                      I bet Epic:
                      1) Thought FPSes and action movies were really cool about
                      3 years ago, and knew exactly what they wanted from UT, but

2) when they made UT2003, they had "grown up", become "kind of"
                      tired of the FPS concept - thus tried to make something new,
                      assuming that it would work as long as it featured shooting and killing.

Comment

Let's just say that some people are pretty definite about what works for them and what doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by information21
                          Let's just say that some people are pretty definite about what works for them and what doesn't.
                          ..and let's add that csports.net now estimates there to be about
                          ~600,000 of those people..

Comment

Working...
                          X