Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Onslaught's a nice addition, what's next...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Onslaught's a nice addition, what's next...?

Okay. So, Unreal Tournament 2003 was pretty. Unfortunately, alongside this prettiness, it added little in the way of new features and alienated many of the old fans through various omissions in feel etc...
    But that's not what this post is about.

Then Unreal Tournament 2004 arrived, and with it, came Onslaught.
    Now, I think there is a fair argument to say that the changes to deathmatch and other modes attracted many back to the series but a unique selling point for the title was clearly Onslaught and it is reasonably safe to say this has been the main tool of attracting attention back to the game.

When UT2003 came out, none of us even knew what Onslaught meant. Therefore, I was wondering, what's next?

Where do we go from here?

So, that leads to a logical question of what new gametypes would be really fun. And that in turns leads to the idea of market research. So, what does everyone think?

Personally, when I came up with this topic last night, I had a little think instead of revising for my Economics A-Level and this is what came to mind:

There are two/possibly more teams and the map consists of a typical onslaught style map but with no nodes.
    Roaming the landscape, generated at random, are nali warcows of varying sizes/varieties worth different amounts.
    Using the link gun, these cows may be levitated on the end of the beam and transported to the enclosures where they contribute to the team's score. However, the cows may be killed. Herein lies the conflict-you must protect your cow while you take it back to the enclosure but still battle the other player to the death if you get attacked.
    This currency they provide could perhaps be used to buy:

superweapons (enormously costly)
    vehicles (cost varies with level/use)
    powerups (less costly)

A round is a certain time limit depending on playercount/mapsize. At the end of the round, that person with the highest score wins. Therefore you have a comprimise between spending the cows on superweapons/vehicles(the cows are respawned around the map) or trying to defend the pen at the risk of a Redeemer swooping in and killing your whole herd.

This is just my potential take on it and literally has only existed since last night. I think, if balanced correctly etc, it could be a very entertaining game mode, despite the fact that it could use a little refining...

This thread will hopefully catalogue and develop many ideas as well as prompt discussion on whether Onslaught can be topped

Enjoy...!

yay nali cow farming!
    sounds cool. but instead of the link gun, the ppl should be able to ride them.

Comment

medieval onslaught :up: it would be cool with arrows, and trebuchets, and that you could light the arrow so the trebuchet would go down in flames, if they didn't ride through water or something

Comment

By George, I've got it.

You could be the pilot of a highly advanced spacecraft in a very rocky area of space, and the rocks could destroy your spacecraft.

You have a weapon that you can use to break up the rocks into smaller pieces, but even the smallest piece could destroy your craft.

Here's the exciting bit: You have a super-teleporter device that you can utilise at any time which will take you to a random point in space in an emergency.

I've also got an idea for a multiplayer game where you use your controller to intercept a bouncing ball....but I need to work out a few more details on this one.

Levitating cows? Hmmmmm

Comment

lol, a much better idea. Retro is the new innovation!

In my opinion, ALL gametypes should require levitation of cows...

Comment

I would love to take out a whole herd of neli cows with the redemer.

Better yet. Incoming bomber.

Comment

4 team ASSULT!!!

4 teams, two per side with their own objectives!

Imagine AS-Mothership where the space battle is still going on outside while supplies and respawned assult troups are being transported to the mothership. If you die in the ship, you have to wait until a transport ship dodges the enemy fighters and reaches the landing bay. Then, the troups on foot can disable power systems that take down the gun turrets, destroy landing bays to stop fighters taking off making it easier for re-enforments to arrive (shortening the respawn time)

On ground maps you can have assult troops on foot fighting building to building. Some in tanks providing fire support and aircraft dogfighting and divebombing overhead!!!!

Comment

The next gametype should be a mix of Onslaught and Domination / King of the Hill with large bases to capture instead of just nodes. As you held a base, the team's point total could go up, more bases = better point increase. Could even have different size bases with different point values, say a large one in the middle with a big point value but would be open to all sides, but a small one in the corner would be less but easy to protect with few people, etc etc.

Well, I'm done rambling. :P

Comment

Good Idea.I think in the next UT ONSlaught will be called b00nslaught,so all the newbs can play it and there will be PROslaught,only for the pros.The landscape will be totally grey so you can see the enemie better,utcomp BS will be a built in feature and u have to complete a 3 months b00nslaught training to get a pass with which u can finally play proslaught.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist4
                    Good Idea.I think in the next UT ONSlaught will be called b00nslaught,so all the newbs can play it and there will be PROslaught,only for the pros.The landscape will be totally grey so you can see the enemie better,utcomp BS will be a built in feature and u have to complete a 3 months b00nslaught training to get a pass with which u can finally play proslaught.
                    and anyone who cries cheater, n00b or teamswaps at the end of the match get a perminant ban!

Comment

Bring King of the Hill back

Comment

Originally posted by Fnix.USA
                        :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Fnix.USA
                          Bring DOM back. :up:

Comment

I want RealCTF my fav mod ever made..There should be a new Unreal made just for RealCTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Piglet
                              By George, I've got it.

You could be the pilot of a highly advanced spacecraft in a very rocky area of space, and the rocks could destroy your spacecraft.

You have a weapon that you can use to break up the rocks into smaller pieces, but even the smallest piece could destroy your craft.

Here's the exciting bit: You have a super-teleporter device that you can utilise at any time which will take you to a random point in space in an emergency.

I've also got an idea for a multiplayer game where you use your controller to intercept a bouncing ball....but I need to work out a few more details on this one.

Levitating cows? Hmmmmm
                              some1 already did this - ASTERIODS
                              And CARBALL is like the 2nd one u mention

Comment

Working...
                              X