No announcement yet.

ok what is it with those brightskins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of it this way, in any sport out there... isnt it very clear and obvious who is on what team because of the jersey they are wearing? ...
    From that perspetive it's ok, yes. Well maybe I need to know some more about those utcomp/ttm thingies. It's just that the screenies I've seen didn't like make the teamcolors more obvious. They were brightening them up to a level that just looked abnormal to me. They could be standing 500 meters away from you in a completely dark area and you'd still see them glow like a **** christmas tree. That just seems like a skinhack to me.

Maybe somebody can show me a screenie of how these ttm or utcomp brightskins look or point me to a page where I can read more about all this?

Comment

I have mixed emotions on this one.

On one hand stealth is cool.

On the other hand depending on what maps you like to play, one could say that blue is too stealth.
      I prefer to play natural veggetation terrains and blue is a too close to green in the visual spectrum(remember: ROYGBIV), giving a slight maybe, but distinct advantage to the wearer of the team color. For me who only plays on red teams (don't ask why - ok go ahead), and has a pretty beefy PC, I find that blue can often be a problem as they blend more into the surrounding, ergo Predator style!

Originally posted by Wi||y W0nka
      Think of it this way, in any sport out there... isnt it very clear and obvious who is on what team because of the jersey they are wearing? They either usually have the home jersey which is very obvious in one color or the away jersey which is also extremely obvious in color. It just makes the game or sport or whatever the hell it is your are doing, run smoother so there is no confusion on who is on what team. I mean, why would that not make sense or seem right in a team based game? Now, of course adding a 'glow' to a skin so you can see it coming from around a corner before it actually gets there is pretty wrong and shouldnt be allowed, but I dont ever remember Epic supporting this kind of feature.

Comment

I thought I recieved a gift from Epic when Brightskins were included in the game. I have gone through two Lasix procedures for my eyes.
        Even with that, I always have to stay on a blue team when playing team based games, because i can see the red players better than the blue ones. Brightskins were a gift to me. Now more, and more servers are taking it away.:heart:

Comment

As far as I know, you can't get cheat-skins if the server is running AntiTCC or UTSecure. However, there are 2 competitive mutators (UTComp and TTM) that provides more visible skins, but those are server side so everyone can use the more visible skins if they like.

Comment

Originally posted by Thermopyle
            As far as I know, you can't get cheat-skins if the server is running AntiTCC or UTSecure. However, there are 2 competitive mutators (UTComp and TTM) that provides more visible skins, but those are server side so everyone can use the more visible skins if they like.
            I thought the TTM Brightskins came on 'automatically' when you went on a TTM enabled server...

Comment

Originally posted by Tango2k4
              From that perspetive it's ok, yes. Well maybe I need to know some more about those utcomp/ttm thingies. It's just that the screenies I've seen didn't like make the teamcolors more obvious. They were brightening them up to a level that just looked abnormal to me. They could be standing 500 meters away from you in a completely dark area and you'd still see them glow like a **** christmas tree. That just seems like a skinhack to me.

Maybe somebody can show me a screenie of how these ttm or utcomp brightskins look or point me to a page where I can read more about all this?
              UTComp 1.3
              UTComp 1.3 README

A COMPETITIVE MUTATOR IS NOT CHEATING. Please inform yourself about UTComp before you cry 'skinhack' again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic
                UTComp 1.3
                UTComp 1.3 README

A COMPETITIVE MUTATOR IS NOT CHEATING. Please inform yourself about UTComp before you cry 'skinhack' again.
                :up: :up:

Comment

A COMPETITIVE MUTATOR IS NOT CHEATING. Please inform yourself about UTComp before you cry 'skinhack' again
                  Ermm... I started this very thread to inform myself Thanks for the links though :heart:

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic
                    UTComp 1.3
                    UTComp 1.3 README

Oh that's definitly a hack. Talking code-wise of course. (a "hack" in coding terms is just an ugly piece of code... UTComp's brightskins make use of an overlay channel that is normally used for skin-based hit effects, which immediatly results in those effects no longer working properly)

Originally posted by Tango2k4
                    Don't you think those colors were so abvious because the old UT engine simply wasn't realistic enough to simulate proper lighting on skins? I do.
                    Actually, part of the problem is that UT2k4's lighting engine is actually really crappy. UT1 constantly updated the lighting of the characters, however (I think because UT2k4's models are much more detailed, so it's done for speed) UT2k4 only updates the lighting every now and then, and not very accurately at all, which can cause characters to become almost completely black even though they are standing right under a lamp. If the walls are badly lit as well, it becomes almost impossible to see that person, especially if they use a dark skin (for example, Matrix), or a skin that turns really dark at a distance because it loses bright details (for example Abaddon... putting all of a skin's brightness in small details is a stupid design mistake because those details are removed for faster rendering at a distance, which means the Abaddon skin is almost completely black at even a short distance)

Also, the original UT2k3 skins, and the NEW skins that came with UT2k4 only have very small scraps of their skin in the team's colour. The modified UT2k3 skins that came with UT2k4 don't have a problem, but the new UT2k4 skins are just as bad as the original UT2k3 skins, and as people use the new skins as well, the extra teamcolour that was put on the old UT2k3 skins doesn't really help.

Note that TTM does not actually have neon-skins like UTComp does, and instead increases the minimum brightness of players, which means they're always visible enough to shoot at, even in maps with buggy lightning, like Compressed and Grendelkeep.

Comment

Working...
                    X