Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok what is it with those brightskins?

Hi people

Two weeks ago I bought UT2k4 and contrary to UT2k3 I am very satisfied with the game as is. Well it crashes every now and then but overall I gotta say I like the game much more than I liked UT2k3 since it feels much more UTish IMHO.
    Anyways...
    during the last few days I have talked and played with several people. It was in a public ONS match when I first heard about these 'brightskins'. I got fragged and when I said '**** I couldn't see him right...' I got an answer that was like 'well don't you have brightskins?'. I was like 'wtf are brightskins?' and when I searched for a bit I found some screenies.
    To be honest I was shocked the hell out of my mind because I couldn't believe that poeple appearently seem to use skinhacks all over the place and call them 'brightskins'.

wtf is it with those hacks and why the hell do people think they are ok? Sure the normal skins tend to become hard to see at distance but isn't that realistic and good?
    Are poeple really using those brightskins or are they seen as the cheats they are and the people I spoke to were just a bunch of lamers trying to get me to use cheats?

I'm asking you guys... are those skinhacks/brightskins/whatever you wanna call those **** cheats normal and used by everyone?

Sincerely, an extremely worried player.

Yes, although there's a huge (understatement) argument over brightskins, it SHOULD be a server-side option so everyone on the server benefits. If not, then its a hack.

Comment

its just a standard whine from people getting their *** kicked dont worry.

just like "timer" "trigerbot" "wallhack" etc.

Comment

i dont even know how to turn on brightskins.. how do u?

Comment

Not another brightskins argument.

They are only cheats if you use a hack to get them, in the case of UT2004, you can enable them with the UTComp mutator which is serverside, and less 'bright' brightskins were even added to the default game by Epic.

Comment

Originally posted by -=BT=-joepjens
            Well, everyone plays whit ttm or utcomp, those are server side brightskins.
            No, not everyone. Some people (and server admins) play with player highlighting only, or even (shock, horror) the ability for players to be concealed by darkness or shadows.

Play it the way you want, but don't assume that you speak for everyone.

Comment

Let me force Syzygy as a default model and I'd be happy

Comment

Why can't we force any model, again?
                I think forcing Matrix would be a nice challenge...

Comment

Re: ok what is it with those brightskins?

Originally posted by Tango2k4
                  Hi people

Two weeks ago I bought UT2k4 and contrary to UT2k3 I am very satisfied with the game as is. Well it crashes every now and then but overall I gotta say I like the game much more than I liked UT2k3 since it feels much more UTish IMHO.
                  Anyways...
                  during the last few days I have talked and played with several people. It was in a public ONS match when I first heard about these 'brightskins'. I got fragged and when I said '**** I couldn't see him right...' I got an answer that was like 'well don't you have brightskins?'. I was like 'wtf are brightskins?' and when I searched for a bit I found some screenies.
                  To be honest I was shocked the hell out of my mind because I couldn't believe that poeple appearently seem to use skinhacks all over the place and call them 'brightskins'.

wtf is it with those hacks and why the hell do people think they are ok? Sure the normal skins tend to become hard to see at distance but isn't that realistic and good?
                  Are poeple really using those brightskins or are they seen as the cheats they are and the people I spoke to were just a bunch of lamers trying to get me to use cheats?

I'm asking you guys... are those skinhacks/brightskins/whatever you wanna call those **** cheats normal and used by everyone?

Sincerely, an extremely worried player.
                  Okay, see... the thing is, you are new to the Unreal community. If you have ever played the older Unreal or Unreal Tournament team games, the skins were always obvious in color as to which team they were on. When UT2k3 was released the skins were made so that whichever team they were on it was hard to tell which color team they were on. So they added the shoulder lights but personally I dont like them and other agree so it was taken out of the game for 2k4. But again, back to the history of the game, that is why its obvious in color or "brightskins" they call it.

I mean, if you ever played any other games like Quake 3 then it was the same in that game. If you were on a colored team then almost your entire 'suit' was the color team you were on. Now of course in DM you can choose the default and then it will be whatever the regular costume would look like without the color team.

Hope that makes sense and helps you understand. I dont even call it brightskins myself since Im already used to it from UT. Just how its supposed to be, not a hack.

Comment

its just a standard whine from people getting their *** kicked dont worry.
                    Yeah right. Look I played UT for a hell of a lot of time and although I'm fairly new to UT2k4 I neither got my *** kicked nor would I become upset if it happened.
                    I am just worried because back in the days when I was playing UT and people used stuff to make skins look brighter we used to call that bs skinhacks and kick those who used them off the server. Anticheat software looked for skinhacks aswell so now I'm wondering why the hell people in UT2k4 seem to believe that artificially brightening up the skins is ok.
                    What you're doing is making it easier for yourself because you obviously aren't able to tell whether that guy you're shooting is on your team or not in an unmodified environment.

I do not use any brightskins and so far I can easily see teamcolors as long as the people aren't standing in very dark areas or happen to be very far away. Both those sitatuations are normal and I consider it nothing but realistic that I have to take a second look in some sitatuations. Same goes for UT2k3 where I never had problems telling which team a guy was on.

I can still not understand why people seem to think that this is ok in any way. I consider this a cheat and people who need 'brightskins' aka skinhacks are lame IMO. If the lighting on the map hides the teamcolor then maybe it's supposed to be this way? Graphics engines are becoming more realistic so why the hell should you be able to see the color of one's clothing all the time and even in dark areas? Dunno... to me all this sounds like a lame trick for colorblind people :weird:

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I am new to UT2k4 and as said in UT99 we used to call this bs skinhack and consider it a cheat and well... those screenies I've seen sure as hell looked like a skinhack. People glowing like lightbulbs in extremely dark areas doesn't seem like a fix for skins that are to dark for me, it seems like a skinhack.

Okay, see... the thing is, you are new to the Unreal community. If you have ever played the older Unreal or Unreal Tournament team games, the skins were always obvious in color as to which team they were on.
                    No I'm not new. As said I played UT99.
                    Apart from that you're right, but don't you think those colors were so abvious because the old UT engine simply wasn't realistic enough to simulate proper lighting on skins? I do.

Cheers

Comment

Didn't you read the ******* post i and several others made about utcomp and ttm.

clientside skins are hacks, server side are ok.

omg, read posts in an topic you make
                      I have read that part m8, no need to get all cocky.
                      They may be serverside they still do the same thing, non? They still brighten up skins to a level that's just wrong to me.

Comment

The thing that always amazes ME is that all the people who are FOR brightskins never want to tell people exactly HOW they are doing these things...

Makes me want to SCREAM 1337 bar-stards!

And by that I mean the 'bright-bright' skins... not the 'server-side brightskins' that are in TTM...

:bulb:

/me I think I got that right...

Comment

And by that I mean the 'bright-bright' skins... not the 'server-side brightskins' that are in TTM...
                          That leads me to a question:

How can I tell whether a server has these brightskins enabled or not?

Comment

Think of it this way, in any sport out there... isnt it very clear and obvious who is on what team because of the jersey they are wearing? They either usually have the home jersey which is very obvious in one color or the away jersey which is also extremely obvious in color. It just makes the game or sport or whatever the hell it is your are doing, run smoother so there is no confusion on who is on what team. I mean, why would that not make sense or seem right in a team based game? Now, of course adding a 'glow' to a skin so you can see it coming from around a corner before it actually gets there is pretty wrong and shouldnt be allowed, but I dont ever remember Epic supporting this kind of feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Wi||y W0nka
                              Think of it this way, in any sport out there... isnt it very clear and obvious who is on what team because of the jersey they are wearing? They either usually have the home jersey which is very obvious in one color or the away jersey which is also extremely obvious in color. It just makes the game or sport or whatever the hell it is your are doing, run smoother so there is no confusion on who is on what team. I mean, why would that not make sense or seem right in a team based game? Now, of course adding a 'glow' to a skin so you can see it coming from around a corner before it actually gets there is pretty wrong and shouldnt be allowed, but I dont ever remember Epic supporting this kinda of feature.
                              I hate it when I fumble around and talk total rubbish then someone comes along and so elloquently explain things...

God dammit I hate you! :haha:

"How can I tell whether a server has these brightskins enabled or not?"

TTM enabled = 'serverside bright skins'... Right? It also checks there are no sneakie 'client side bright skins' by MD5 checking YOUR client SKINS... err... *I think*....

Comment

Working...
                              X