No announcement yet.

32-bit vs 64-bit CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will Microsoft's 64-bit Windows OS be out?? Anybody know??

Comment

I don't think microsoft even knows!!

The beta is pretty stable and you can use it for a YEAR before it expires so you can easily download it and use it until the real one appears

Comment

64 bit is for servers and administration!
        or ofice work for example!

corect me if i'm wrong

Comment

Here is an article off FiringSquad that just went up today...it is right on point! (benchmarks latest Intel chips vs AMD Athlons)

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...pentium_4_560/

Yep, Athlon FX (64-bit) is best for gaming right now

Comment

Originally posted by zer0kewl
            64 bit is for servers and administration!
            or ofice work for example!

corect me if i'm wrong
            You are thinking last decade / last century / last millennium. Why do you think 64-bit chips are used in servers? Because they are fast. Don't you want to have a fast computer?

Comment

Re: 32-bit vs 64-bit CPU?

Originally posted by SwellFello
              If some1 wanted to upgrade a pc in the next 6 months or so, would y'all recommend a 64-bit cpu over a 32-bit one?

I've read that a 32-bit cpu can only access a max of 4GB of RAM, whereas a 64-bit cpu can access like 1,000,000 TeraBytes of RAM.

But do gamers really need access to more than 4 GB of RAM anytime soon???

Also, I think Epic is gonna be releasing 64-bit versions of its future Unreal games...

I'd also want to wait and buy an Intel 64-bit cpu...and Microsoft's 64-bit OS isn't even out yet
              whew, that means that 64-bit still wont be able to load all of ut2004 :P

jk jk
              seriously, 64 can only have advantages lol
              ( altho it still may be slower than a 32-bit in 32-bit programs, duh! but well..... those will die off of course *DOUBLE-DUH!* )

*DUHING-SPREE*

Comment

i'll wait till strong support in hw, drivers, os, apps, games, etc take advantage of 64 bit and other related hw and standards that go with it to mature.. then I'll make the jump.

only thing I'm a little worried about is, if I spend about $450 on an AGP graphics card now, will I it be useless in the near future with the shift over to PCIX?!

Comment

Wait untill this winter or next spring and get a Athlon64 3800. Go to Halflife2.net and read what Gabe Newell says about how 64bit clients should perform 30% better over a 32bit client of hl2 using the same hardware in the Valve Speaks article. They run great in 32bit compared to everything else aswell. Go to Anandtech and look at their benchmarks for the Athlon64 sometimes beating the FX chips and dominating the Intel EE chips in all gaming benchmarks. They will run slightly better as soon as microsoft gets off of their *** and releases a 64bit OS too. Currently you can try the free XP64bit beta but drivers for everything are still beta so it isn't going to perform better than 32bit right now.

You will want to play the next gen games under a 64bit client and although PCIexpress isn't a huge performance gain now it will be when games catch up to the hardware next year. If you want a system with upgrade life get the athlon64 socket 939 3800 when the price comes down and get a mobo with a chipset that has parallel DDR/DDR2 capability, SATA, Raid, Wifi, good onboard 5.1 channel or greater sound and an optical out just in case you ever think about hooking it up to an HDTV in the future, and a PCIexpress 16x slot. Put an ATI X800XT R423 in it and enjoy. I'm still not sure what chipset or mobo to get yet untill the reviews come out, but this is the system I am getting as soon as the prices come down. I'm also still deciding whether or not to stick with fast DDR or getting DDR2 and OCing it. There have been some interesting results with DDR2 overclocked, but currently fast DDR is still the way to go. Hopefully mobos with allow both. You should also consider hooking a system like this to a DLP projector or HDTV in a few years.

Still not sure about the chipset or mobo though... I don't like any of the ones out right now thats for sure...

Comment

As others have said:

Wait

Comment

I have no idea what other ppl think I just know what I play on.

These are the specs I have that make me bench insanely high, get the 85FPS cap in ONS, and over 150+ in DM playing at 1600x1200 on holy **** details, while running a DM server in the background:

Athlon64 3200+
                      ASUS K8v Delxue
                      GeForce FX 5900
                      1GB OCZ PC3200

So am I looking forward to putting my CPU into a 64bit mode? No. lol I have no need for it, but I do like its 32bit performance, I would recommend the A64 for 32bit apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Turambar
                        You are thinking last decade / last century / last millennium. Why do you think 64-bit chips are used in servers? Because they are fast. Don't you want to have a fast computer?
                        yes i want but no amd
                        intell all the way
                        but kindy waiting for something

Comment

Originally posted by SwellFello
                          Here is an article off FiringSquad that just went up today...it is right on point! (benchmarks latest Intel chips vs AMD Athlons)

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...pentium_4_560/

Yep, Athlon FX (64-bit) is best for gaming right now
                          This is a good review of the new P4 motherboard CHIPSET! Not the processors. However the benchmarks still show that even with the faster memory, the Athlon 64 fx-53 kicks intels butt for games. Except for the Q3 engine, however it trails the P4 EE by only 4/5 fps where the P4EE is far below the FX53 on the other gaming tests. DON'T FORGET, THIS IS 32BIT PERFORMANCE!

ALL THIS AND THE ATHLONS ARE CHEAPER!

If your going top of the line, stick with the AMD and the new NForce3 250GB motherboard chipset. The only drawback is the lack of PCI Express.

If your not a top of the line gamer. Forget 32/64 bit and concentrate on the benchmarks for the processors you CAN afford. Don't go AMD64 just because it's 64bit, go for it if the 32bit performance outstrips the same price Intel or if they are same price and same performance, go for the 64bit chip. If it's a small stretch for the 64bit chip I would suggest going for it if there is no performance drop running 32bit

Comment

Go AMD for what he just said about 32bit performance and then rest easy that you WILL see slightly better performance gains with PCIexpress and 64bit game clients next year when games truly use the hardware and 64bit operating system. AMD gives more bang for the buck today and will provide better upgrade paths for next generation games due out this fall and next year. That alone is more money saved. After reading about Intels current overclock locks the answer is easy for gamers, its AMD Athlon 3800 when prices come down. Still waiting for a kickass chipset and mobo though since Nforce really doesn't thrill me that much. I'm hoping Abit pulls an ace personally....

Not to mention OCing ability without hinderance........

WTF are you thinking Intel? I'm not a fanboy, and I realize that the enthusiast crowd isn't the top priority, but do they realize that most gamers are overclockers and can generate huge negative press on tech sites even n00bs go too?

Comment

ATI 64 bit drivers

ATI does have a 64 beta driver set available at the web site

Comment

Not saying don't go 64 bit cause the 64 bit althlons are great value (I think the 3000+ is meant to be a great o/c as well), but don't listen to everything people say.
                                The 32 bit memory limit of 4 gig will not be a problem for the life of your new machine, by the time you need more then that the machine will be too old to play the games that need it.
                                The 64 bit o/s will probably be out next year, however if it's anything like the switch from 16 to 32 bit I wouldn't want to use it for a year or two. There's a pretty good chance that anything you want to run not specifically tested and updated to run on a 64 bit o/s won't work properly - games are particularly likely to fluff up, so even though 64 bit windows will be new, trendy and slightly faster, it will probably just cause you grief.

Comment

Working...
                                X