• Time
  • Show
Clear All

gamepad

I'm not sure which gamepad would be good for this game

any suggestions?

Nostromo N52

Comment

Gamepads don't work too well for FPS games, but if you have a PS2 or Analog PSOne controller, buy a PS2 to PC controller adapter.

Comment

Re: gamepad

Originally posted by errtu
        I'm not sure which gamepad would be good for this game

any suggestions?
        stop !

mouse and keyboard are the only way to succes imo

Comment

Re: Re: gamepad

Originally posted by CatShaver
          stop !

mouse and keyboard are the only way to succes imo
          100 procent true. A joystick or directional buttons will NEVER let you aim as good as a mouse.

You could say it worked fine with for example Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64, but that game was a LOT slower than UT, and a lot less accurate (you crosshair could be a bit off of your target, but if you shot it would still register a hit). If you could theoretically play Goldeneye with a mouse and let a hardcore Goldeneye player (with a gamepad) play against a noob with a mouse (and a bit decent aim), the hardcore player would still get owned.

Comment

mmm...

I'm not sure I agree... the combination keyboard / mouse seems to be a bit irksome and it doesn't feel "right".

if you need to jump, you gotta go all the way to the space bar, then you can't move while you are jumping. If you need to crouch, press shift (i think, don't remember) and while you are doing this you can't do much else... that's the problem Í find with this combination: mouse / keyboard. Although you are right about the aiming part...

Comment

I used to combo gamepad mouse, and it was great. Gamepad for movement plus a few things (next weapon, use, zoom), mouse for gun things. Worked quite well for CS.

Comment

Gotta go with the Nostromo N52... its the greatest thing in the entire friggin world And its relatively cheap too, if you look online...got mine for 25 bucks and it was at my doorstep in 5 days... 14 "keyboard" style buttons, a mouse scroll wheel, a D-pad, and 2 extra buttons...every button can have 3 settings...fits nicely on your hand, and the buttons (while stiff at first) are very responsive, just need to be worked in a little, but you'll do it surprisingly fast. Ontop of that, you can set up different profiles to auto-load whenever you run the associated game, so if you play other games, you can have them auto-load without worrying with any menus... its a great item, worth checking out

Comment

nostrome n52 will do but mouse is not replace able!!!!!!!!
                  you can but it holds you in to much i dont sugest to get a replacement for a mouse

if you want that try mx510

Comment

if you need to jump, you gotta go all the way to the space bar, then you can't move while you are jumping. If you need to crouch, press shift (i think, don't remember) and while you are doing this you can't do much else... that's the problem Í find with this combination: mouse / keyboard.
                    Yes that's a problem for most new players, but there is a solution for it: reconfigure your controls in the settings menu!

Most good players use the WASD keys on your keyboard to move around with. Put your indexfinger on the D key and your ringfinger on the A key. Then, if you relax the muscles in your hand, you will see that your thumb is resting on the spacebar, and your pinky on either the right shift or control key. This makes it ideal for your thumb to jump with, and your pinky to crouch with, for example.

Also, this setup is ideal of you want to use keybinds to be able to switch to a certain weapon fast. I use all the keys around WASD for this:
                    1 = Translocator
                    2 = Assault Rifle
                    3 = Bio gun
                    4 = Shock Rifle
                    Q = Rocket Launcher
                    E = Flak
                    F = Minigun
                    C = Linkgun
                    X = Lightning gun or sniper
                    Z = Redeemer and Ioncannon

At first it might feel weird and akward to play like this, but when you get used to it, it will make you a MUCH better player, because in UT it is very important to use the right weapon for the situation. So learn to switch fast!

Hope this helps.

Comment

I'll just add my 2 cents... 'cus I couldn't agree more with those who are sayin' it...

Mouse and keyboard is the only way to go... no way a joystick or gamepad can give you the precision or control you need. I'd even say with confidence that no one .... not one person ... who uses a joystick or gamepad for UT is an above average player.

Those devices have their uses... flight sims, sports sims, racing sims (if you don't have a wheel)... but FPS is not one of them, especially one as fast and acrobatic as UT...

do what they're sayin'... reconfig the keyboard to what suits you better... I pretty much use the setup BeR described, but I shift it all one key to the right so my main movement keys are ESDF... gives my pinky more options. And yeah, spacebar is jump, right were your thumb is... no problem to use that while you're still hittin other keys

Comment

Originally posted by z3npunk
                        I'd even say with confidence that no one .... not one person ... who uses a joystick or gamepad for UT is an above average player.
                        I guess I'm below average

I've used a nostromo gamepad for quite awhile now. And I'll never go back to a keyboard. There is a learning curve but once you learn to use it, it can be very beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by torres007
                          Gamepads don't work too well for FPS games, but if you have a PS2 or Analog PSOne controller, buy a PS2 to PC controller adapter.
                          Try http://www.merconnet.com/products.php?ProductID=44

and say no to RSI! (repetive stress injury)

Comment

mmm...

I'm not sure I agree... the combination keyboard / mouse seems to be a bit irksome and it doesn't feel "right".

if you need to jump, you gotta go all the way to the space bar, then you can't move while you are jumping.
                            How many fingers do you have?

Pinkey - shift (crouch)
                            Ring finger - A (left)
                            middle finger W /S Forward/Back (since you never use both at the same time it's not an issue)
                            Index finger - D (right)
                            Thumb - spacebar (jump)

You can move freely while jumping crouching etc..

n52 isn't realy a gamepad.. It's more of a mini-keyboard with a d-pad for the thumb.. (you need it to lie on a desk)

Mouse/trackball isn't replaceabel.. (I preffer mouse)

Comment

Why do all these old threads getting bumped?:weird: Like this errtu guy would visit this forum anymore :bulb:

Comment

Working...
                              X