Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

A Guide To Invasion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Guide To Invasion

Hello and welcome to my guide to invasion.
    ****PLEASE NOTE this guide is based on my style of playing invasion. I run, I hide, I hoarde, I sneak up from behind.****

LAST UPDATED Jun 26 2004

What IS invasion? It's a gametype for Unreal Tournament 2004, which pits players (who are supposed to work co-operatively) against monsters. By default, the players are on Red team and fight wave after wave of monsters, usually to a maximum of 16 waves. These monsters are from the first Unreal game, and include Krall, Skarrj (pronounced "scar"), Warlords, and a few others.

There are different types of invasion. Different people will play these different types:

Normal Weapons
    Instagib
    RPG
    Vehicle
    Translocater

Normal weapons: is normal... weapons. The ones the came with the game. Pretty straight forward.
    Instagib: only weapon is the super shickrifle which instantly gibs any any you shoot at it with.
    RPG: catdaemon says:UT2004 RPG is a mod, if you have played an RPG (role playing game) before then this is for you. if not, heres a quick rundown:
    -Levelup system. The more you kill, the higher your level. every time you levelup you can get something like extra fire rate.
    -weapons. Things like "the rocket launcher of protection" or "the minigun of infinity"

Vehicle: Adds vehicles, games ususally take place in ONS maps, but not always.
    Tranlocater: Adds the translocater to the game, accesed by pressing "q" in game by default.

Some of these types can be mixed and matched. NW/RPG, or Vehicle/Trans for example. This guide is more geared towards NW/Translocater as that is the type I play. People from ALL walks of invasion can still read my guide and potentially get something from it. I will add in voices from the community to give advice on the same things I do, but their advice will approach the situation differently than I dp.

There are many things you can do be "good" at invasion. I will try to crack my brain open and share my knowledge in this guide. Some of my tips are probably "general" ones that work in other game types, but I don't play other game types.

Teamwork

In invasion, all the human players are on the same team. The best invasion games are always the ones where you work together with the other people on the server. If you have trouble with the people on the server you are on, you might want to try a different server. Some servers have wonderful regulars that work together on a regular basis. Some servers don't. But there's more than one server to play on.

First rule of team playing is this: don't be a jackass. If someone is standing by a ledge above a pool of lava (like in Deck 17) don't pull out your shield gun and push them in. This is a good way to get banned from a server. Don't spam **** over the screen OR on the voice comm. And yes, "Don't Touch This" is slightly amusing the first time, but 2 minutes through the 10th time it starts to get a bit dry.
    Urtho says:Kickvoting is your friend. If the server you play on doesn't have it enabled, beg the admin to turn it on. This above anything else will improve your games as it's no fun to be doing great and then get blasted into lava or knocked off of a ledge into a large group of monsters by some asshat who thinks it's hilarious to get you killed. And if some idiot feels the need to insult or spam **** all over the voice or text channels, simply ban them from your communications screen for blissfully silent gameplay. Major kudos to Epic for adding that feature as voice chat would be uselss without it a lot of the time with all of the fools out there.

Number 2: Learn to share. This was supposed to be something that you learned in kindergarden or pre-school. But as it is, I have noticed most people probably failed those educations. Sharing comes mainly in three forms in Invasion: Weapons,ammo, and powerups.

If you have a full or near full arsenal of weapons, don't be afraid to offer a couple weapons to people who just respawned. Giving away your assault rifle shouldn't bother you, as you probably don't use it often. Someone who respawned and didn't have enough time to grab any weapons gets roughly 1.5 times the fire power when you relinquish an assault to them.

When it comes to ammo, because of the scarcity of it, don't pick it ALL up at once. If there are two flak cannister things on the ground, and you notice other people on your radar, only pick up one. Other people could use the ammo too.

Powerups: Don't grab The Keg if you have 195 health. Don't grab it if you have 100 health, and the guy behind you has 3. This is just common sense, but some people don't seem to bother thinking about the health of their team mates. This applies to the shield(s) as well, but it is harder to judge who has how much shield. But wait! What's this? OH! It's VOICECOMM and/or A KEYBOARD, why don't you ASK your teammates how much shield they have?

Communication is also VERY important for team work. The best for this is the voicecomm. I know there's people out there who don't really use the voice comm either because they are shy or they don't have a microphone. Well. **** is all I can say. I'm generally not a person who talks a lot IRL, but at Digital Samurai, the people had a hard time getting me to shut up. Keeping that in mind, when using the voice comm, try to keep the talk game related. When the topic some how turns in to anime tentacle monsters, you should probably should not go there. This advice is from acual experience.

Another thing about communication is when you die. Yes, sometimes you will die, hard to believe I know. And you will have to wait until the remaining people finish the wave before you can respawn. Now when you die, there are things you can do to pass the time. Some people chat. Some people tell the people who aren't dead to either die or hurry up (shut up btw.) And some people view the female character's naughty parts and make lewd comments to the players playing said female characters (I see what women mean when they say all men are pigs.) But there is something much more constructive for you to do. Follow someone. Be the eyes on the back of their head. Tell them about incoming enemies they might not see, powerups they may have missed. If you were to be someone's eyes, I'd recomend being the eyes of someone low on the score board, as generally they need help more than the guy at the top with 1000 score. You can also just look over a group of your team mates, and explore the level telling them where pockets of enemies are located at, and telling them when powerups and superweapons respawn (more on that below.)

While still on the topic of communication, let's discuss "painter's up." When it comes to powerups and superweapons, generally it is accepted that you advise your team mates, assuming you don't need the powerups or superweapon(s) yourself at that time, that said powerups/SWs are ready for the taking. You see the super shield is ready to be taken and you have plenty of shield already? Say "super shield's up" over the voice comm or via keyboard. The deemer is respawned and you already have one? "Deemer's up." via voice comm or keyboard. This goes for the painter, deemer, keg, super shield, regular shield, double damage, and whatever else you can think that is important. Urtho drives the point home even further:You can only hold one of each superweapon at a time people, so if you have one and are saving it (which you should - you have to be a rank unskilled player to NEED to fire a deemer on wave 3) and see one spawn, once again TELL PEOPLE.

Same thing again with monster locations or hotspots. If you just saw a bunch spawn or ran away from a mob and are still alive - warn people not to go that way or that you need help right away at location "whatever". Good team players will try to get to you and help you out as you are one more body to help them stay alive and kill the monsters.

Urtho adds even more to the topic of teamwork:...be aware that monsters tend to spawn away from players, so if you have an area you want to hold as rally point you need to have at least one person stand near there so that nothing nasty will pop up behind you. I get questions and snide comments sometimes from people wondering what I'm doing away from the main firefight and just standing around, crouched down with a lightning gun / sniper rifle. What I'm doing, friend, is covering your behind AND keeping 3 Warlords from spawning behind you and shoving some rockets in a place you wouldn't like.

Survival

There is one rule in invasion. It is a simple rule. If you do not abide this rule, you will lose. All must be sacrificied for this rule.

DO NOT DIE. I cannot stress this enough. There are many ways to not die, but I always tell people the key is to make sure your life doesn't go below 1 point. I usually get laughed at, then they die and I'm the only one left alive because I acually kept an eye on my life meter.

Strongholds

Ah, Strongholds. Good ol' strongholds. They are areas in a map that offer protection against most monsters, and usually have a suppy of ammo and/or health near. Some examples would be the "hidey hole" in Rrajigar, the rocket launcher area in Grendlekeep, the roof in Osiris2, the attic in Gestalt, the roofs in Bridge of Fate, and the attic in Goliath. You generally just have to be careful in the later waves, as if you snipe or otherwise "annoy" warlords, they tend to fly in to your stronghold. Your teammates won't appreciate this.

Run Away TO Live To Fight Another Day

When the odds are against you, don't be stupid. Run. To a stronghold if possible. If you are fighting a losing battle against a dozen Skarrj, don't foolishly go against them. Run away, resupply, then go back in to the frey. Rinse and repeat. But due to monster density, sometimes it is not wise to return to the frey even after resupplying. This is what I like to call "the waiting game."
    It's when poking your head around the corner could possibly kill you, because there are monsters EVERYWHERE. If you wait long enough, the monsters will despawn. e.g. they will die. This takes progressively longer in each wave, but it is an alternative to certain death.

Survival via Movement

Another way to prolong your life is to learn how to dodge. If you play a lot of any 2k4 gametype, and you know how to dodge VERY well, then you have a good head start over other people at invasion. Dodging is CRITICAL to invasion. If you don't really know how to dodge, either check out Teh Noobs Guide to Victory (http://www.victoryguide.net) or just KEEP MOVING. It is a billion times harder for a monster to hit you if you move around. If you stand still, even the dumbest monster with the dumbest AI written ever by the dumbest programmer in the world could still hit you. You can't die if the enemy can't hit you. Unless you fall off a ledge... which brings me to my next point:

Survival via Other Means

Always be aware of your surroundings. Look in the top right of your screen. That's a radar. It tells you if there are any monsters near by. Use your mouse to look around, so you can note if there's any hazards near by. Knowing the map well helps a lot.

LISTEN. All the monsters make noise. If you pay attention you can spot all your enemies a mile away with just your ears. This can help you from back attacks and what not, and has saved my butt too many times to count.

The Translocater

The translocater is an optional device to game that the server admins can add to the game. The defualt key to pull out the xloc is "q" which is a good key if you use WASD for your movement basis.

There are two main strategies for using the trans.

Strategy #1 Leave it Behind

This strategy involves putting the trans pod in a safe place. When things start to get too hot in the kitchen, you just pull out that trans and right click yourself to safety. One thing to keep in mind is to choose the location you put it in very carefully. If the pod gets damaged and you tried to translocate, you will get fragged. This is the risk you take when you leave it behind, so don't complain when it happens to you. The pod gets damaged by enemy fire and sometimes super weapons. There are two ways to find out if it is damaged. one is to find it and look at it. If it is damaged you will see sparks flying out of it. When you see the sparks, just walk over the pod to pick it up, and it will no longer be damaged. You will have to redeploy it. You cannot recall the pod while it is damaged. It is also common courtesy that when you see a damaged pod, that you advise everyone though typing or voice chat that there is a damaged pod in the area you are in.

Strategy #2 Keep it With You

The other strategy with the trans, is to keep in with you where ever you go. When things start to get overwhelming, you just pull it out and flee. I have found that keeping a zig zag pattern with the trans throws the monsters off quite good. Once you get experiened with the trans, you can run away from warlords on wave 11+ with ease. No matter what anyone says, I believe this requires a great amount of skill. I've seen someone dodge warlords from waved 11 to 15 in DesertIsle when everyone else had died. Considering that the trans has a bit of a limiter on it, you can't just keep on transing, you have to give it time to recharge. It is a constant balancing act.

The Translocater Camera

The trans has a camera in it, After you deploy the trans pod, press the trans key (default "q") to look through the camera. This sounds useful to look around corners for monsters, until you realize it can't see most monsters. You can see the monster's projectiles, and you can hear the monsters, but most monsters wont show in there. If they did, then I'd love the trans that much more.

Monster Compendium

In invasion your enemy is the monsters, not the other players. There are eight different monster types in invasion, though some of those types have sub classes. Though I use the term "sub classes" pretty loosely in some cases. An asterix * by a number means it is estimated.

Another thing to keep in mind is all these values I have here, for start wave and whatnot, are for the default settings for invasion. The server admin can change these at will to whatever. They can make warlords appear on wave one, etc, and change how long the monsters will live before they die.

Name: Skaarj Pupae

Health: 60
    Score Value: 1
    Adreneline Value: 1
    Idle Sound: Hissing
    Start Wave: 1
    Strategy: They resemble a small bug, and make a hissing noise. They have little life, and a flak or rocket will take them out in one hit, wherease other weapons require multiple hits. These guys are pretty funny/scary in a low grav map in they way they come after you. Lightning Gun and Snipe Rife can take these guys out in one hit.

Name: Razor Fly

Health: 35
    Score Value: 1
    Adreneline Value: 1
    Idle Sound: Buzzing
    Strategy: Like the Pupae, one flak or rocket will kill isntantly (if hit directly) whereas other weapons require mutiple hits for a kill. With the flak or rocket, you can aim to do splash damage and if they are close enough will usually drop in one hit. The Lightning Gun and Snipe Rife can take these guys out in one hit.

Name: Manta

Health: 115*
    Score Value: 2
    Adreneline Value: 2
    Idle Sound: Bird noises.
    Start Wave: 2.
    Strategy: No, not those vehicles that clip your head off all the time in ONS, but a flying creature like a Manta from the ocean/sea. The place with lots of water. No, not the thing with legs, that's the sky. Anyways, mantas are arguably the most dangerous monster in the game. They fly, they dodge, and they like to sneak up on you. They DO make a screeching noise. Sort of like a sick bird. Personally, if given the choice, I'd rather take on a room full of Warlords than a room full of Mantas. Mantas take a two direct flaks or rockets to kill and are quite tenacious. A good tip for killing mantas, is besides the redeemer, the only other weapon that can kill a manta in one shot is the flak cannon. The trick is you have to wait until the Manta is RIGHT in front of you, then you fire the primary flak in to it's face, and if all the shrapnel hit the Manta, it will drop dead.

Name: Krall

Health: 80-100*
    Score Value: 2
    Adreneline Value: 2
    Idle Sound: Grunting.
    Strategy: Krall are the guys with staffs (staves?) that shoot single blue projectiles. They usually take 2 flak or two rockets to kill, and sometimes only one hit from either. The unique thing about Krall is that when you reduce them to a certain amount of life, they lose their legs and... crawl using their arms. When they are like that, it doesn't take much to finish them off. They make a grunting noise.

Name: Elite Krall
    Health: 90-120*
    Score Value: 3
    Adreneline Value: 3
    Strategy: Same as for regular Krall. Elite Krall have just a little bit more health, and are probably a bit smarter.

Name: Gasbag

Health: 150
    Score Value: 4
    Adreneline Value: 4
    Idle Sound: Farting.
    Strategy: Gasbags shoot explosive flame projectiles. The make distinct farting noises when near, so they are hard to not notice. I for one, am glad that this game can't emulate smell. Gasbag's are usually best taken out with the mini gun, though the lightning gun can make short work of them with three shots. Gasbags start farting around on Wave 2.

Name: Brute

Health: 220
    Score Value: 5
    Adreneline Value: 5
    Idle Sound: Grunting
    Start Wave: 3
    Strategy: Their rockets make a lot of noise when fired. The best way to kill these guys is to shoot them. Seriously, some of the time when YOU shoot THEM they stop shooting at you. It's a bit wierd, but I'm not the one who wrote the AI.

Name: Behemoth
    Health: 260
    Score Value: 6
    Adreneline Value: 6
    Strategy: Same as for Brute, but Behemoths have 40 more health than brutes and give you an extra point. I'd estimate they are 1 IQ point smarter than the brute, doubling it's intelligence.

Name: Skaarj

Start Wave: 4
    Strategy: They like to spawn behind you. Their projectile attack make a WHIRRRRing noise, which gets louder as it approaches you. You will be reduced to nothing if you ever get cornered by any amount of these guys. Regular Skaarj fire off green projectiles.

Name:Ice Skaarj

Start Wave: 6
    Strategy: Same as regular Skaarj, excepty Ice Skaarj are bit smarter. Intrestingly enough, Ice Skaarj aren't the blue Skaarj, they are greenish with red "hair," whereas a regular Skaarj has green "hair" and the Fire Skaarj is the blue Skaarj. Ice Skaarj shoot blue projectiles.

Name: Fire Skaarj

Score Value: 7
    Adreneline Value: 7
    Start Wave: 9
    Strategy: Same as Ice Skaarj, but Fire Skaarj are smarter and more aggresive. You do not want to get cornered by these guys. Fire Skaarj are blue colored and shoot red projectiles.

Name: Warlord

Health: 500
    Score Value: 10
    Adreneline Value: 10
    Start Wave: 11
    Strategy:Ah, warlords. They make things difficult. The can fly, shoot HOMING rockets, and they take 5-6 direct rockets/flaks to kill. They have an achilles heel though. Under the right cicumstances, if you stand still their rockets will turn away from you at the last second. I've seen someone stand still against maybe a dozen or so warlords and survive the wave to brag about it.

The other key to surviving warlords is to avoid the splash damage done by their rockets. This means keep your distance from walls, and when ever a warlord is "above" you (i.e. at a higher angle than you) JUMP! JUMP JUMP JUMP! Their rockets will start hitting the floor by your feet, so in jumping not only do you stay away from the rockets hitting the floor, the remaining rockets have a higher trajectory (because they track your movement) and are more likely to not hit the floor and cause spash damage to hurt you. You just have to not move in any other direction besides up/down from jumping. If you move even an inch in any other direction, you should consider yourself dead.

Urtho says this about Warlords and dodging their missles:If you are a good mover and dodger and have a good "feel" for the game it is possible to bob and weave and double jump and normal dodge around multiple incoming missles. The tracking feature doesn't track extreme movement too well so if you get your timing pattern down right you can slide between the rockets. You need to dodge later rather than sooner as the missles will break and track you if you do it too soon. This is a rather advanced move so don't try it unless you've been playing Invasion for awhile and/or are already a great dodger from other gametypes.

Roullette advises us on his method of dealing with large hoardes of enemies:Run away. Standing and fighting against an army whose sole objective is to swarm around you is stupid. I keep moving. Never standing still for more than a few seconds, and always picking off a few guys at a time. Flak shell here, rox there, some LG and shock combos over there, goo over there. What you use is unimportant, but don’t bother trying to stand toe-to-toe with them. Shoot them, kill a few and then move on. Staying alive by a commitment to not getting bogged down to any one spot.

Cythes lets us in on a secret:
    Warlord invinciblity:
    Easy to do. Hop on something that fits these specifications:
    1. Off the ground
    2. Small platform (as in very very small, so you can stand on it and do nothing else like the tops of the tree's in desert isle)

Now all you do is crouch. and DO NOT MOVE

No matter how many warlords there are, you will not get hit. The rockets will be in the 1000's but you will not be hit by one of them, they'll all curve away from you. This is the easiest way to beat wave 16. If its anything other than warlords present you will die.
    And if you die, you either had a warlord physically run into you (which they're too dumb to do) or YOU MOVED.

Click here to see an example of what he is talking about. But I wouldn't say they never hit you. It's still possible, just more so the higher the bot difficulty.

Know Thy Arsenal

One of the biggest things people have to learn to play invasion effectively, is weapon and ammo management. Ammo usually becomes a serious issue on servers with 8+ people. So, keeping that in mind, I never join a server that has a max capacity of more than 13 or so.

But not all people will acually do what I do. So, keeping that in mind, here are some tips on "keeping teh ammos"

Keeping teh ammos:

Get all of the weapons on the map as soon as possible. This should always be a priority. More weapons = more ammo. Remember where these weapons are. This is critical. When you run low on ammo for a weapon DROP IT before it completely runs out of ammo. After you drop it, pick it back up at it's spawn point. This gets you lots of teh ammos. To make the dropping quick, I made my middle mouse button the drop key. It makes dropping soooo much faster than the default \ or / or whatever the default is.

Something to keep in mind about dropping: In the earlier 2k4 versions, if you dropped you weapon while moving you would usually pick it back up again. So try to stand still and drop the weapon to the side when you decide to drop your weapon. Epic has supposedly fixed this in their newer patches.

Next, USE ALL OF THE WEAPONS (not at once, but alternating). Don't just use flak/rocket, because the ammo for those can become quite scarce and making trips to their spawn points all the time can be quite time consuming and dangerous in the later waves.

Know where the ammo is. If you're in an area where there's a bunch of rocket ammo, switch to the rocket and kill a bunch of monsters then refill on teh ammos. The same thing goes if there is some shock cores near: switch to the shock, ***** things up, then refill.

Urtho has this to say about keeping teh ammos:...patch #1 fixed it so that all weapons you have in your inventory barring superweapons are restocked to default levels when the next wave starts. So if you make a mistake and fire off your last minigun round before you can toss it for a fresh one but make it alive to the next wave, you suddenly have 150 ammo again.

Off of teh ammos now, and on to the acual weapons.

Shield Gun: Much much less useful than in other game modes, as it is more difficult to hit mantas pupae and razorflies than humanoid opponents. Secondary DOES defelect the energy balls from the skaarj, though.
    Urtho disagrees:...it is one of the most crucial weapons you will ever have. The secondary shield protects from ALL forms of incoming damage you might otherwise take, be it skaarj shock cores, Warlord missles, or falling damage. The monster AI has problems tracking certain movements (more on that later) so if you get into a stick situation, pull out the shield and go take a great dive off of a high cliff (say from the high bridge on Desert Isle down to the bottom of the lake where the Super Shield spawns) and the shield will absorb much of the damage and the monsters will lose track of you for a crucial few seconds.

Assualt Rifle(s): Like in other game modes, reletively useless unless you have two. Even then, most weapons are still better than that. Secondary is good for taking down pupae, or better yet: multiple pupae. Mmmm... splash damage. A thing to note about the Assualt Rifle, is when you have TWO assault rifles, the rate of fire stays the same. I've tested this myself with timed shootings with both single and dual assaults. The two things you get from dual assaults is double the ammo and a lower frame rate.

Bio Rifle: Unless you are already profecient with this, leave it alone. You'll damage yourself more than the enemy. The secondary is VERY VERY useful against a mob of monsters. Under the right circumstances you could easily take out half a dozen skaarj with this baby in one shot.

Shock Rifle: Primary is only good if your aim doesn't suck, as it has no splash damage and is instant hit. Secondary is very useful in corridors where there are multiple enemies. Just keep an eye on your ammo when you go whoring. I'd recomend the target practice mute by Angel Mapper in the CPB2 to hone your whoring.

Link Gun: The link's primary fire does decent damage and isn't anything to scoff at. As for the secondary... as you might have learned from ONS, linking with the link gun can be very helpful. I once was the conduit for 6 links. This many links does not only a lot of damage, but also alters the state of mind for the conduit. When I got 6 links, I shot and killed a skaarj in less than a second and I shouted "MUAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! ! DID YOU F*KING SEE THAT?! HAHAHAHA!!" over the voice chat. This was uncharacteristic of me.

Minigun: Primary uses a lot of ammo very quickly, which isn't neccissarily good for invasion where endurance is key point. Secondary is wonderful though, it's very ammo conservative and is great against Warlords and gasbags.

Flak Cannon: I am a flak monkey, I'm sorry. Almost every monster can be easily taken out with the flak if your aim doesn't suck, and the ammo lasts you more than a couple seconds. I don't recomend the flak versus warlords though, unless you are in-doors inside a tight corridor.

Rocket Launcher: With it's homing capabilities, it gives the warlords a run for their money. secondary isn't spectacular unless you put them in to a spiral. That does some tight damage if it hits. Don't be afraid to aim for the feet of monsters. The floor is easier to hit, and you are more likely to hit the monsters with the splash.

Grenade Launcher: Awesome against mantas and the like, one hit, stick, BOOM!

Lightning Gun: Great for sniping. What else is there to say?

Sniper Rifle: O.K. for sniping, but the puff drives me to like the lightning better.

Ion Painter: It's alright, but in low grav maps it tends to PUSH the monsters away instead of killing them.

Urtho educates us some more about the painter:Learn how it works or don't pick it up already! The Ion Painter is not basically a point and click weapon like the Redeemer - you have to be aware of exactly how it works or you'll be wasting it when you pick it up. Believe it or not, I've actually seen a few total noobs THROW IT AWAY or just give up on using it, saying that the weapon is uselss and won't fire anything but a stupid red beam that doesn't hurt anything. Yes, I'm serious.

First, the point you choose for the explosion MUST be open to the sky - it will not work in any indoor area. The idea behind the weapon is an orbiting sattelite firing down a hugely destructive beam onto the point you designate. The sattelite can't see the targeted point if it's covered by a roof of steel and concrete. The other point is that you have to have a steady hand to fire it - the laser pointer must be held in place on the same spot for 3 seconds for the blast to be triggered. If you move it even a little, it will reset the internal timer of the weapon. Practice on a low grav map such as Morpheus - jump from tower to tower and try to set the painter off in mid-air. It can be done with enough effort.

Redeemer: Oh god, the deemer. The main thing to keep in mind with the deemer, is that it's pretty much the only weapon you can accidentally kill teammates with. I don't know WHY, but seemingly randomly, if you fire the deemer and one of your teammates is in the blast radius, sometimes it will cause damage. Most of the time killing them. This is not good when everyone is all together in the last wave in DM-Asbestos near the lightning gun room, and you're about to win them someone shoots the deemer and murders everyone, then says "roflcopter" or something stupid like that.

More to keep in mind whe using the redeemer, is that you should learn how to drive it. Secondary fire the redeemer, and you get to steer it. Some times certain parts of walls and and some such make you misjudge your distance between it and the missle and it could cause the warhead to prematurely explode. Which can either kill you, or just not kill any monsters. Either of those are not good. When the redeemer gets close to some of the enemies, they will usually start firing at it. So you'll want to juke it around a bit, which if you've ever played Tie Fighter or whatnot, shouldn't be a problem. Warlords seems to have uncanny aim though at shooting down the missle JUST before it hits them. Not only does the announcer advise you that you have been denied if the warhead gets shot down, but this will usually extract a swear or two from you. At least it extracts many swears from me :'(

Urtho shares this last bit of wisdom about the use of the redeemer:The other interesting thing is that the monters will focus almost exclusively on an airborne redeemer missle, firing everything they have at it in an effort to shoot it down. A funny trick in open maps is to keep flying it around and avoid the monsters - they will focus on the warhead and your teamates can take many of them out fairly simply with minimal risk to themselves.

Translocater: This is my most favorite weapon/tool. As a weapon, the trans is the only weapon that has a TRUE one hit kill. If you do it right, you can telefrag the mosnters with it. There's a techinque to it, but I'm not well versed in it. Sorry, I can only tell you what I know, not what I don't know.

Big_Shaft had this to say about general weapon use:i try and save my splash weapons for guys that tend to stay on the ground, while using guns like the mini for guys in the sky. i also tend to use weapons i'm not so good at or aren't as useful for closeup first. i.e lightning gun. this saves your better weapons for a more dire situation.

Adreneline
    You gain adreneline as you pick up adreneline pills(default 2 points gained per pill) and as you kill monsters. The smaller monsters, pupae and the like, are worth small amounts of adreneline (e.g. 1) whereas slaughtering Warlords will get you a lot (e.g. 10.) When you reach 100 adreneline, you can perfom an adreneline combo. There are by default, four different combos you can execute. Only one of these is of any help in invasion. Keep in mind ALL adreneline combos drain your adreneline while you are using them, and the only way a combo stops is when it runs out of adreneline to drain. Another thing to keep in mind is that while a adreneline combo is running, any pills you grab and any monsters you kill will still add to your adreneline.

Booster: Press backwards four times quickly
    Booster heals you at a moderate rate. Note it will bring your life up to a maximum of 199 and shield up to a maximum of 150. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind for when to and not use booster is this: Booster will give you roughly 150 points of life/shield. So, if you have 199 health but no shield, you can boost and you wont really be wasting it.

Another thing to keep in mind for when using booster is stacking. I'm talking about shield stacking. Booster will ALWAYS give you shield up to 150 if your life is already full. The super shield will ALWAYS give you up too 100 shield points, up to a maximim of 150. The normal shield, however, makes things a bit sticky. If you pick up a normal shield, which gives you 50 shield points, those 50 points will ALWAYS be at the bottom of the stack. So, say you have 100 shield and you pick up the normal, you are at 150 shield. You get cornered by some skaarj, and are down to 35 shield. If you pick up a normal shield again, it will only give you 15 more shield points. When you got attacked, the damage came out of the Super Shield/Booster stack of 100 first, and only bit in to the 50 shield by 15 points. This is something to keep in mind for shield management.

Speed: Forwards four times quickly.
    This combo nakes you nove faster, but has little use in invasion. There are not many situations that I can think of that you would need it more than a booster.

Invisibility: Left Left Right Right quickly.
    Makes you harder to see. Absolutely useless in invasion. The Monsters will still see you. The only time I have ever used this combo is when I was frantically dodging and accidently activated the combo.

Berserk: Up Up Down Down quickly.
    This makes you fire faster. Like speed, this has little use in invasion, as in most situations booster will be needed much much more. Homicidal adds: bezerk can be used on levels 6 or lower to clear the irritating bugs faster, you should be easyly able to gget full adrenaline in a round, and if its sitting at 100 and your still slaughtering stuff, its gone to waste, whilst it could be put to use brining up ure sheild and health, usually that is done in the first 10 mins or so as every1 shares n stocks up.

MAPS

Know the map. This is super important. When you know the map, you can picture in your head where you are going and what weapons are on the way, where power ups and super weapons are. This makes getting around a lot easier. Most maps played on invasion aren't that big, so it shouldn't be hard to know the map pretty well after one full round of invasion.

That being said, don't be afraid to try new maps. Yes, DM-DE-Osiris2 is an excellent map for invasion, but it's not the only map that was included with UT2004. In fact, many servers have extended their map lists from the basic DM maps offered by default, and give way to loads of quality CTF,BR, and ONS maps. ONS maps however, are usually only offered on vehicle invasion servers for obvious reasons.

Which brings us to map choice. Because different people think different maps are good, it makes it difficult for me to compose this small section. Basically, there are LOADS of great maps. But from my experiences, people usually only play the same eight or so when there are many times that more maps included in the game, and even more available through the community (Community Bonus Pack 2, for example.) If the server you regular doesn't have any CPB2 maps, go to your local backyard and retrieve a stick to start some possible poking.

OMG WTF I'M DEAD ON WAVE 1

I guess I'm a jerk, but I sometimes enjoy a little poking at people who die on wave 1. Even the greenest of newbies shouldn't have trouble staying alive on wave one. But people still die on wave 1. But this is generally not because of their skill level, or lack thereof. It's the loading time. In other game modes when it takes forever to load, you just have to wait. OOOO waiting, real hard. But in invasion, you spawn while the level is still loading. So while you are reading about how you "can link up" with your team mates, your avatar could be getting reamed by some Skaarj Pupae.

But there are a couple ways to shorten load time. After doing a couple tweaks, advice that was provided by the community, I got my loading time down from a minute or two, to about 10-20 seconds. And I'm running on an Athlon 1800, 512 ram, 7200 rpm hard drive, radeon 9200se. So that's a pretty darn quick load time for my rig.

I recomend going to www.tweakguides.com and go through the UT2004 tweak guide. It is the ultimate collection of tweaking awesomeness for 2k4 peformance that I have seen thus far. But since I'm the nicest guy in the world, I'll just list the recomended tweaks here (btw, you should backup your ut2004.ini before attempting this):

In the game, go to the settings menu. Then click on the game tab. Make sure "preload all players skins" is UNCHECKED. Preloading playerskins is the most common loading taking forever device implemented in to this game by EPIC. You need about 10 hojillion large gobs of RAM directly infused in to your mobo to be able to use this without a large load time.

Next thing you can do is open up your UT2004.ini in your UT2004 system directory. Seearch for the line "[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]" and change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False. Next search for "[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]" or whatever render device you know you are using and do the same thing, turn UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False.

Invasion Mods

There are some mods that are available for ivasion that can spice things up a bit.

First there's the Satore Monster Pack This adds some more monsters like Queens whic are these large lizard creatues that put up shields and what not. These things can be very dangerous. Titans, like their name implies, are HUGE. They throw boulders that will gib you if they hit you. When I was playing RPG invasion once with the Satore pack, I had exploited the ghost health bug that was in RPG at the time, and I got 9999 health for that round. But a Titan gibbed me at 6000 health. I had quite a bit of damage reduction too. I was surprised, to say the least. But perhaps it was karma.

Next up is RPG. The RPG mut is made by Epic programmer Mysterial. RPG isn't invasion specific, it can be played in other game types as well. But for invasion it is like crisp morning dew. It's awesome. Until you get to be level five hojillion and you can kill everything at once with the click of your mouse. It would usually be up to the server adminstrator to make things harder for higher level up peoples, but that makes it a lot harder for low levels to get their foot in to the door, so to speak.

Last but not least is Fraghouse Invasion 2k4. Well, personally I am not a huge fan of FHI, as I found it way way way too easy for the likes of me. But what FHI does, is try to create a feeling not unlike the scene in Starship Troopers when they were in that fortress with an army of bugs coming after them. This is something that I had acually expected from vanilla invasion when I had first heard about invasion, but I was disapointed a bit when I picked up 2k4 and vanilla invasion was different from that.

People that have contributed to this guide: Seroth, SWOOP, Urtho, Big_Shaft, Roulette, Taffy, catdaemon, Homicidal, sharpie-love, Xiker911, Cythes, KeepBreathing, and me- Cloud34.

Dude, you missed the minigun!!

Edit: No, wait.. there it is. Did I miss it or did you just add it?? I think I missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by EndobioticChaos
      Dude, you missed the minigun!!

Edit: No, wait.. there it is. Did I miss it or did you just add it?? I think I missed it.
      Yeah, you missed it. But if there's anything else that I'm missing don't be afraid to tells me,

Comment

Both the Sniper Rifle and Lightning Gun (and probably the shock rifle) can take out Pupae and Dragonflies in one hit. They're great to use in the first few waves so not to waste Flak or Rocket ammo on 'em. It also may help your aiming skills.

Comment

since monsters are slow and dont always see you, use flak at point blank range for quick kills

to escape packs of monsters or when surrounded keep a translocator disc in a remote location.

Comment

Not nearly enough on the translocator, which saves your *** more than any other trick, gun, or health in the Invasion game type. Use it to find a better camping spot(which you'll be doing alot of the time), translocate brutes, and on wave 16, this thing is a Godsend. You can go through a group of 30 warlords if you know how to use this thing right. When the final wave comes, and you're under fire, look for a good spot you can camp behind while the Translocator regenerates its ammo. It should be not too far off, but far enough so you can take a few shots before the Warlords' rockets reach you. Also, when in doubt, run like hell. If you don't think you can take a shot without getting hit yourself, just keep running. Another thing, if you get cornered by Skarj and Warlords, translocate OVER the warlords, because they don't shoot as fast as the skarj(It seems like it to me, at least), and keep running for that great camping spot. There are alot more uses for it, but this should save you a few times.
            The Bio rifle can take out Warlords in one charged hit and a few primary shots.
            And one last thing, don't ever, ever use the flak or rocket launcher against the birdy thingies, the Spiders, or the dragon flys. Use your Assault rifle if there's a few of these guys comin' for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by the-waco-kid
              Not nearly enough on the translocator, which saves your *** more than any other trick, gun, or health in the Invasion game type. Use it to find a better camping spot(which you'll be doing alot of the time), translocate brutes, and on wave 16, this thing is a Godsend. You can go through a group of 30 warlords if you know how to use this thing right. When the final wave comes, and you're under fire, look for a good spot you can camp behind while the Translocator regenerates its ammo. It should be not too far off, but far enough so you can take a few shots before the Warlords' rockets reach you. Also, when in doubt, run like hell. If you don't think you can take a shot without getting hit yourself, just keep running. Another thing, if you get cornered by Skarj and Warlords, translocate OVER the warlords, because they don't shoot as fast as the skarj(It seems like it to me, at least), and keep running for that great camping spot. There are alot more uses for it, but this should save you a few times.
              The Bio rifle can take out Warlords in one charged hit and a few primary shots.
              And one last thing, don't ever, ever use the flak or rocket launcher against the birdy thingies, the Spiders, or the dragon flys. Use your Assault rifle if there's a few of these guys comin' for ya.
              Yeah, I am aware about my lack of info on the xlock, this is because the info I would need to put down for the xloc is so massive, I can't do it today, I have to wait until I am off of work tomorrow and get the weekend to work on it.

Also, something that I will add to the begining of the guide: is that this guide is based on my style of playing invasion. I run, I hide, I hoarde, I sneak up from behind. Not all people play this way. Utimately, when it comes down to things like what you said in your last paragraph, is that it boils down to prefrence. If I have enough ammo to spare, I'll send a rocket over the dragonfly as a greeting, not missing a beat getting to my next destination. Switching to a lesser weapon sometimes slows me down, as I like to keep moving.

But as I said, it boils down to prefrence. Though I am going to try to figure out a way to put in multiple view points on certain subject in this guide, to try to make it a better guide overall.

I'd like to thank you all for your feedback thus far, I will be inserting your tips into my guide (giving a special thanks at the end when I get to it) as a soon as I get the time.

Comment

Re: A Guide To Invasion

Originally posted by Cloud34

Hello and welcome to my guide to invasion. This guide is more geared towards "vanilla" or "normal" invasion. No muts, no mods. Just plain invasion. With the exception of the xloc. xloc > you
                My first comment is that playing Invasion with the translocator is ridiculously easy. Forget about telefragging Warlords for a second (which is pretty stupid), how do you even find that moderately challenging if you can whip out the trans any time you need to and quickly teleport out of trouble when things get hairy?

There is one rule in invasion. It is a simple rule. If you do not abide this rule, you will lose. All must be sacrificied for this rule.

DO NOT DIE. I cannot stress this enough.
                A good point, but I will say that it is not impossible to recover / contribute to the team effort if you die in a late wave (13 and up). You just have to know where things are and be able to move quickly to get what you need when you respawn.

I snipped your next 3 points concerning Dodging, Map Awareness, and Listening skills as they are all very valid. if you're new to Invasion but you have some skill in these areas you'll do better than 95% of the people you'll see online.

Warlords (aka "wave 11")

The other key to surviving warlords is to avoid the splash damage done by their rockets. This means keep your distance from walls, and whenever a warlord is "above" you (i.e. at a higher angle than you) JUMP! JUMP JUMP JUMP! Their rockets will start hitting the floor by your feet, so in jumping not only do you stay away from the rockets hitting the floor, the remaining rockets have a higher trajectory (because they track your movement) and are more likely to not hit the floor and cause spash damage to hurt you. You just have to not move in any other direction besides up/down from jumping. If you move even an inch in any other direction, you should consider yourself dead.
                All of your monster analysis was pretty accurate, so I won't comment on it. I will say that this last point concerning Warlord missles is true, to a point. If you are a good mover and dodger and have a good "feel" for the game it is possible to bob and weave and double jump and normal dodge around multiple incoming missles. The tracking feature doesn't track extreme movement too well so if you get your timing pattern down right you can slide between the rockets. You need to dodge later rather than sooner as the missles will break and track you if you do it too soon. This is a rather advanced move so don't try it unless you've been playing Invasion for awhile and/or are already a great dodger from other gametypes.

One of the biggest things people have to learn to play invasion effectively, is weapon and ammo management. Ammo usually becomes a serious issue on servers with 8+ people. So, keeping that in mind, I never join a server that has a max capacity of more than 13 or so.
                I have to take issue with this - if you're at all capable in the aiming and movment skills of UT you sould have no or minimal issues with ammo even on maps with scarce supplies. I concentrate on one or two weapons on a map, depending on what ammo type is most evident.

Take GrendelKeep - on that map there are at least 5 packs of minigun ammo - even on a 16 person server you're bound to find a pack or two around and if you toss your weapon during a wave and pick up a fresh one - you've got 200 - 250 rounds of ammo you can alt-fire into the crowd. That will last a looong time. Meanwhile, you're stocking up on all the other weapons as opportunity and chance offers you, and will have all of them fully stocked when you really need them in the later waves.

Also don't forget that patch #1 fixed it so that all weapons you have in your inventory barring superweapons are restocked to default levels when the next wave starts. So if you make a mistake and fire off your last minigun round before you can toss it for a fresh one but make it alive to the next wave, you suddenly have 150 ammo again.

Shield Gun: Much much less useful than in other game modes, as it is more difficult to hit mantas pupae and dragon flys than humanoid opponents. Secondary DOES refelect the energy balls from the Skarrj, though.
                You are dead wrong concerning the usefullness of the shield gun - it is one of the most crucial weapons you will ever have. The secondary shield protects from ALL forms of incoming damage you might otherwise take, be it Skarrj shock cores, Warlord missles, or falling damage. The monster AI has problems tracking certain movements (more on that later) so if you get into a stick situation, pull out the shield and go take a great dive off of a high cliff (say from the high bridge on Desert Isle down to the bottom of the lake where the Super Shield spawns) and the shield will absorb much of the damage and the monsters will lose track of you for a crucial few seconds.

Redeemer: Oh god, the deemer. The main thing to keep in mind with the deemer, is that it's pretty much the only weapon you can accidentally kill teammates with. I don't know WHY, but seemingly randomly, if you fire the deemer and one of your teammates is in the blast radius, sometimes it will cause damage. Most of the time killing them.
                I don't know for a fact that this is what is happening, but I suspect it has something to do with if the redeemer launching person is killed in the blast, anyone who is caught in the blast AFTER they have died is also vulnrable. If a person dies, they are no longer part of the "team" for the purposes of the team damage setting and so the blast can take out anyone within range. Not exactly logical I know, but I've seen it happen enough times that this is what I suspect is going on.

A few other points concerning the Redeemer. One is that it can be shot down by the monsters just like players can. Skarjj are notorius for doing this, but Warlords do it frequently as well. Find a relatively safe spot to alt fire the missle and then really pilot it - don't just send it in a strait line. Jink it up and down and side to side like it was a fighter plane or you will be hearing DENIED an awful lot of the time. Send it into a good size crowd from overhead and then detonate it in mid-air as an airburt will get many more than a ground shot would have gotten.

The other interesting thing is that the monters will focus almost exclusively on an airborne redeemer missle, firing everything they have at it in an effort to shoot it down. A funny trick in open maps is to keep flying it around and avoid the monsters - they will focus on the warhead and your teamates can take many of them out fairly simply with minimal risk to themselves.

Translocater (aka "xloc"): This is my most favorite weapon/tool.
                I wrote and erased several sentances here as being probably too harsh and flamebait. So instead I'll simply say that if you rely on the trans so much that it is your favorite weapon, you need to work on your aim, dodging, and movement skills and leave it at that.

A couple of other points you didn't mention that I'd like to bring up. One is Adreneline. Of all the combos, the one you'll want to use 99.999% of the time is Booster (back x 4) - regeneration of health and hopefully shield is a godsend especially if your dodging skills need work. Speed and Beserk are generally useless, although if you can't make certain jumps such as the one to the hidden redeemer in Irondiety than I suppose you may have to use Speed. Never, ever, repeat EVER use Invisiblity - it does not work in Invasion as the monsters see right thru it. You're just wasting 100 adren if you even try it.

The other thing is how you as a player can best work the AI and get the best of it. Although it can surprise you at times (the monsters just seem to "know" where you are or are going sometimes), mostly the monsters will fall into predictable patterns and tendencies. Say when you're up fairly close and fighting a Skarjj - they'll move one direction and fire back the other way, as the programmers expect you to dodge a certain way - so stand still for a moment and let that shock core pass harmlessly on by. Only experience can teach this type of thing, really, but I mention it here so you'll be aware that it happens and to look for it as you play.

The monsters also have problems with elevation changes - so use frequent z-axis changes to stay ahead of them and keep them from swarming you. This means elevators, jump pads, simply falling down to a lower level, whatever it takes so you're on a different level then they are. And if you can completely break line of sight with them, many times they will lose track of you and mill around in groups waiting for a player to appear. If even one spots you, however, they ALL will come running as they "talk" to each other concerning player locations.

Lastly, be aware that monsters tend to spawn away from players, so if you have an area you want to hold as rally point you need to have at least one person stand near there so that nothing nasty will pop up behind you. I get questions and snide comments sometimes from people wondering what I'm doing away from the main firefight and just standing around, crouched down with a lightning gun / sniper rifle. What I'm doing, friend, is covering your behind AND keeping 3 Warlords from spawning behind you and shoving some rockets in a place you wouldn't like.

Anyways, that's my contribution / comments regarding Invasion. Feel free to stop by the BLTC Invason server sometime as we have great games most nights with a good group of regulars.

Urtho

Comment

erm.. my contribution

- try to restock on ammo, health and etc before killing the last few monsters left. esp if it's an easy thing to kill.

- don't take powerups when you don't really need it. i.e if u have 199 health and 100 shield, don't take hte supershield when someone else can take it and benifet much more from it. same goes for ammo

- i try and save my splash weapons for guys that tend to stay on the ground, while using guns like the mini for guys in the sky. i also tend to use weapons i'm not so good at or aren't as useful for closeup first. i.e lightning gun. this saves your better weapons for a more dire situation.

Comment

you missed fire skaarj.

Comment

Urtho, I can understand your feelings about the xlock, but like many things in 2k4, it is a preference thing. I love the xloc because it's a great tool the inrceases my mobility in wonderful ways, saves me in a million situations whereas I'd normally be running and screaming like a little girl about the mob of 10 skaarj coming after me (they like to gather in to trains in some maps, DM-Goliath for example.) I do understand there are people (such as yourself) who despise people like me who use the xloc for invasion, and probably consider anyone who uses them the equivelent to n00bs. I feel this exact same way about people who play IG invasion. Maybe I'll drop by that server you mentioned sometime soon, as I have been without a server to regular for a while now. I used to regular Digital Samurai, but I think the owners of that server have moved on to other things.

Big_Shaft, yes I forgotsted to add that but when I made this guide I posted it incomplete to lure people in to helping me. I didn't want to make the entire thing with the whole bias of my style of play.

and FireCrack: Curses! I will have to look in to that one some more.

And Urtho, thanks for the massive critcisms, I DO appreciate them alot.

Everyone else: I'll be updating this later today after I get back from work. My plan it to bring this guide to work and work on it a bit there.

Comment

The absolute most important thing about invasion IMO is movement. I don't play with the x-loc though. Being a telemonkey it would make the game WAY too easy for me. The generic movement is more than good enough, but you need to know how to use every bit of speed and maneuverability at your disposal.

Wall dodges for that extra bit of distance on your jump. Shield jumps to get out of harms way faster. Shield falls to save health as you jump from great heights. Dodging backwards to get away from pursuit while laying down cover fire. Lift jumps to hurl you into the stratosphere.

Even when massively outnumbered (and if you’re like me; frequently alone because everyone else bought the farm), you need to move. You need to know that as fast as the mass of enemies is, you are faster.

Run away. Standing and fighting against an army whose sole objective is to swarm around you is stupid. I keep moving. Never standing still for more than a few seconds, and always picking off a few guys at a time. Flak shell here, rox there, some LG and shock combos over there, goo over there. What you use is unimportant, but don’t bother trying to stand toe-to-toe with them. Shoot them, kill a few and then move on. Staying alive by a commitment to not getting bogged down to any one spot.

Additional advantage of being constantly on the move: ammo, health, weapons, and power-ups are frequently yours because many people grab the LG, climb up high and camp until they run out of ammo.

Of course, if you use the x-loc... none of that really matters because you already have the ultimate in mobility.

Comment

urtho
                          I wrote and erased several sentences here as being probably too harsh and flamebait. So instead I'll simply say that if you rely on the trans so much that it is your favorite weapon, you need to work on your aim, dodging, and movement skills and leave it at that.

Having played on the same server (digital samurai) as Cloud34 on many occasions, I can certainly say that he has very good aim, dodging and movement skills. He'll stand and as shoot as many invaders as possible, leave the fire fight (using the trans if needed), resupply and run back in. On many occasions he has been the only player left and got everyone to the next round.

I am cr*p with the trans and only use it as an escape as SWOOP said. i.e. throw it on the roof on Osiris before running in. I prefer not to use it and more often than not forget that I can use it (this comes from playing on servers with the trans disabled).

I don't think I can give Cloud34 any tips (as he's one of the best players I've seen) but,
                          I find the Warlord's rocket won't hit you (when you're standing still) when they're on the ground.
                          When a bunch of Warlords are coming at you in a corridor, stand still and fire lots of shock combos (even better if you can stand just around a corner).
                          Leave the fight before your health is too low (this is one of the things I have a habit of not doing).
                          Teamwork. When I started playing everyone helped each other. On one occasion when playing Phobos, I was told get up to the top level as the painter was about to be fired. Nowadays, it just gets fired and its tough luck if you're there! (On a lot of servers)

By the way, I was in the room on DM-Asbestos with the link gun and yes I was blown up by the redemer.

One thing that annoys me is when you're running for some ammo and someone kindly trans in front of you and takes both the ammo pickups. Pick up one and leave the other for someone else.

And no it’s not impossible to recover if you die in a late wave, but instead of concentrating on killing things you have to run around the map trying to get weapons. I have/had a habit of dying on wave 10 which then (depending on the map) usually means I'm screwed.

Has digital samurai gone for good?

Comment

There, I updated the guide a bit. New and updated things are in green. There is a lot of green.

And taffy: I sent an email to the DS guys about their server, I am still waiting for a response.

Criticisms and suggestions are welcome, and please spot out my spelling errors if you notice.

Comment

you know, I used to shrug off invasion as just a skill-less bot ownage thingie.

But you sure owned me by posting this guide. I had NO IDEA invasion was this intricate and involved this must strategy. So you know what? I joined an invasion game today. WOW, I had so much fun.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X