Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

OT: Anyone upgrade from 9800Pro to X800XT or X800P?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Anyone upgrade from 9800Pro to X800XT or X800P?

What do you think...was it worth it?

not at the current prices of the x800 (around 500, 450 at cheapest), although when the prices do decrease later on (less than 400?) it's probably a fine investment, as these cards are a substantially dramatic improvement over the 9800s

Comment

$300 better?
      no way
      games dont even need it yet
      I guess if your heavy into benchmarks:noob:

Comment

The nvidia Geforce 6800GT is plenty fast enough, and is priced at a modest $299.99. It scores higher than the X800Pro in 3DMark'03.

They should be available very soon. I currently have an ATi 9800XT, but I'll be moving to camp nvidia soon. I mean, c'mon, $450.00+ for something slower than a $299.99 dollar video card?

ATi is...well, ripping everyone off. Trying to.

Comment

i wouldnt buy any of them, the 9800 pro or xt r good cards, u can use them for years.. i got a fx5600 256 mb and still dont have any fps troubles

Comment

Originally posted by Necromancer
            $300 better?
            no way
            games dont even need it yet
            I guess if your heavy into benchmarks:noob:
            Um, start talking Far Cry and other more DX9'ish games at 1600 x 1200 x 32 and a bunch of AA and AF and that statement falls flat on it's face real quick...

Comment

i've got a 9800pro and i don't think i'll be upgrading anytime soon - it plays every game i have at max details fairly well. a tiny bit of a prob with "Far Cry" but ut2004, D-Ex 2, BF Vietnam, X2 - they all run fine fps > 50 (with high load).

at least wait till Nvidia bring out their latest and see if it measures up.

Comment

Originally posted by squoibymox
                Um, start talking Far Cry and other more DX9'ish games at 1600 x 1200 x 32 and a bunch of AA and AF and that statement falls flat on it's face real quick...
                Very true.

Haha. You wouldn't even need to enable AA/AF for that. Just up the resolution to anything above 1024x768.

Comment

I've got tonnes of memory, an AMD fx-53 processor and a 5900 Ultra and I can still bring the system to it's knees! The games are still ahead of the hardware. There are DX9 features that aren't even used on DX9 cards because it slows them down too much.

The new cards kick bottom but are just OTT in price at the mo. If you've got the dough though....

Comment

although its unlikely that there will be a point in time when the hardware can handle any game on the market

Comment

the only GeForce 6800 GT that i've seen at $299 was a Best Buy price mistake that was correctly shortly after.

http://www.evga.com/products/prod_li...ce+6800+Family

on evga's website they list the MSRP's and the GeForce 6800 GT is $399 as expected.

if i had a 9800 Pro or better right now i wouldn't upgrade, but it's a personal choice. if you have the money then have the fun with it. if you're on a budget or want to be efficient, then the answer is obviously no.

Comment

I think I'll get one anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sean67
                          although its unlikely that there will be a point in time when the hardware can handle any game on the market
                          at the contrary...i think there will be....if u think about it costs for producing games are going to be always higher and there will be a point when even big houses like id wont be able to invest the price needed to produce the cutting edge piece of software of the future...hardware at the contrary is produced by giants like nvidia, ati, intel, amd..and producing the x800 xt today isnt cheaper than producing the cutting edge card that will be in 10 years..

Comment

true but lets say they release a graphics card which runs all the latest games at 100fps (i wish). now what company would go and release a better card? what would be the point (as it would cost more)? releasing this ideal card would put lots of companys out of business. a better card would never be released - or if it did sales would be low. this one card would be bad for business?

Comment

i didnt think of this....well i guess we will just have to wait and see...

Comment

Working...
                              X