Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Discord
    You have played on many silly ONS maps then. :haha:

In DM and CTF it's one or the other 99% of the time. Furthermore, at the ranges involved on most of those maps, there's no need to scope and if you can't tell where the shot came from you're something of a n00b... there is, after all, a really loud and unmistakable report to let you know you're being shot at.

Great mute for those gametypes; my clan's server is already running it.

And yes I know I've bumped the "other" sniper thread... let the debate roll on, it's a good one IMO.
    If you're considering ranges too close to use the scope, then why use either of the Lightning Gun or Sniper Rifle when the Shock Rifle is vastly superior to both? It has higher rate of fire, a lot of knockback and higher damage per second (by quite a long way).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil
      If you're considering ranges too close to use the scope, then why use either of the Lightning Gun or Sniper Rifle when the Shock Rifle is vastly superior to both? It has higher rate of fire, a lot of knockback and higher damage per second (by quite a long way).
      I dunno, good question... why do they have those weapons in those maps then? Plunge, Tokarra Forest, Morpheus3, Rankin, Deck17, FaceClassic, CTF-Colossus, they've all got sniper weapons and the only one I ever feel moved to use the scope on is Colossus... and that rarely, like maybe once in 5 games or so.

And yeah, I usually favor the shock; but at 70 damage or with a headshot the LG (and now Sniper) is more likely to get a crucial one- shot kill. They're not useless on those maps by any stretch.

*edit* And this just occurred to me: analyzing weapon performance by "damage per second" is a really b0rked way to go about it. For that analysis to hold up, a player would have to hit with every shot for one thing. Looking at it that way completely discounts cover, movement and other factors like objectives.

F'rinstance, just the other night I was playing CTF with a few friends. I was chasing a flag carrier who had gotten way out in front of me and was within reach of the capture. I stopped him with a good/ lucky LG shot and managed to close in and return the flag.

The shock rifle wouldn't have killed him and would have in fact put him closer to the cap... at that range I might have hit him again, I might not have. And for all I know, the ten points of damage was the crucial factor there because I definitely wouldn't have had time for the second shot with a Sniper... assuming I even managed to hit with the second shot it would've still been too late.

So yeah, that's just one situation where DPS doesn't tell the story... I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Comment

Working...
      X