Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: How does your system compare against Alienware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xerus
    Maybe because this topic is A YEAR OLD
    OMG LIKE DUH! :bulb:

Comment

i cant find it :cry:

Comment

Sorry, but if I got a laptop, it'd be a mac.

Building my own is too pricey, even with my reseller discounts and I have serious issues with giving money to hp/compaq, dell or especially gateway and toshiba (the latter is absolutely horrible. Customer of mine purchased 5 toshiba laptops and has had problems with 3 in the 1 month that they've own them).

I deal with these companies all the time, so I know how utterly incompetant they are.

But the truth of the matter is that I wouldn't buy a laptop at all, pure waste of money. Replacement parts are ridiculous and like a PC, they're flimsy and break down often. Silly **** like $1200 for a replacement screen or motherboard shows how much the manufacturers really care about their customers. They give you an inferior product and then charge you out the *** when it breaks down. Warranty? Aside from Dell (who I admit doesn't hassle as much as gateway), they'll usually try to weasle their weay out of honoring it. No thanks.

Comment

I see your points Deacon, but mind you, not everyone in the world has the TIME to build their own systems. And you saying it takes under an hour to build a system is going on the fact you know what youre doing every step of the way and dont run into any problems. Most people who are doing it for the first time do not succeed in under an hour unless they have done exponential research and/or have someone to help them. I remember building my first one and I had to stop and work on it the next day after spending atleast 2-3 hours on it. Main problem was the case I was using was using torx screws and made for a meticulous task of putting the motherboard in, not to mention the cpu backplate had to come off and be replaced with the one for my heatsink, which was also a pain in the *** to put on and took atleast 20 minutes. No one remembers everything they are suppost to do when they put a pc together the first time, so Id say the time for research plus time to put it together can be worth more to someone thats busier with other things and has the cash to burn.

And about laptops....saying they are a complete waste of money is not true at all. You should keep in mind that when you buy a notebook, you are getting both a computer and a display. If you buy, say, a $1,400 PC and a $500 monitor, you're approaching the price range that will start to get you a decent notebook. But there is no standard design for notebooks. Every company that makes portable PCs has its own ideas about how to do it right. And every company feverishly competes to come up with new designs that pack more features into less space.

That's not easy. It requires lots of money invested in research and development.

On top of that, the market for portables is not as big as that for desktops. There aren't the economies of scale that come with a massive, commodity-like market.

Finally, the cost of active-matrix color LCD screens can be quite high. They cost more than passive-matrix screens, which are dimmer and don't refresh the image as quickly, but they're worth it.

With that in mind maybe you will understand why many people buy laptops, especially for work, and when they dont need them anymore they are recyclable, as in you can pass them on to your kids, which can really make them go a long way.

Comment

mine is fast with the software renderer, no lag but the graphics seem N64-ish though. otherwise uber fast compy.

Comment

Can someone link me to a laptop case with nothing in it...then i'll stick the components inside.

Comment

I RECKON THE PERSON HO SUG UP THIS THREAD SHOULD GET A WL, same as i did:

MrScruff,

You are being warned for making this post: http://ataricommunity.com/forums/sho...43#post5927343
                i got 3 so should he/she/that dumbass.

but still....

Comment

You all talk about how long it takes to build a computer. Sheeesh. Take an hour or two of your gaming time and build a computer.

Also, I just priced out the top machine at Alienware. They still don't have the complete specs that I wanted. I never saw where you can select ECC ram over non ECC ram. Where can you specify hard drive manufacturer? Can you have the 4 drives set up as a raid? Non of these options were available to me at their website.

Ok for the numbers. Their system was over $3000+shipping.

I priced out the same system with a few unavialable extras, like choosing my own mainboard. $1800 and no shipping. These are all top of the line components. Configured how I want with the brand of components I want. Not bad for a do it yourself computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MajikMyst
                    You all talk about how long it takes to build a computer. Sheeesh. Take an hour or two of your gaming time and build a computer.

Also, I just priced out the top machine at Alienware. They still don't have the complete specs that I wanted. I never saw where you can select ECC ram over non ECC ram. Where can you specify hard drive manufacturer? Can you have the 4 drives set up as a raid? Non of these options were available to me at their website.

Ok for the numbers. Their system was over $3000+shipping.

I priced out the same system with a few unavialable extras, like choosing my own mainboard. $1800 and no shipping. These are all top of the line components. Configured how I want with the brand of components I want. Not bad for a do it yourself computer.
                    THANK YOU!!!!

People can play ut for 6 hours on end, but don't have time to build a comp?

First comp I built was in the early to mid 80's and I was about 9 years old at the time. Granted I always had an unusual knack with electronics, but it didn't seem overly hard at the time....Except for the fact that the junk computer I was building from scrap parts had a bad capacitor and a severed lead on the motherboard. I still have the scar from my first soldering iron hehe.

Also keep in mind that back in the 80's, everything was set up by jumpers and dip switches....of course that first comp had no hard drive, modem, cd-rom and was running....what was it called? CP/M? The precursor to DOS...it's been so long I don't remember.

These days you have plug n play, jumperless motherboards.....seriously, today's computers are pathetically easy to set up. So much so that I often feel useless as a technician

As for the laptop issue, laptops would be nice, but like any computer, they break down often and the parts for them are ridiculously overpriced. Not to mention I'd be purchasing a computer that I could not work on, for fear of voiding my warranty. Imagine a computer technician having to call a poorly trained technical support kid from India that barely speaks English and arguing with him for 3 hours about the problem a machine is having? I have to do this all the time, but I'll never do it for my own machines

Comment

Simple words of wisdom on building your own computer.

First: If you can put a jigsaw puzzle together you can build a computer.

Every component in a computer will only fit in the place they are supposed to be. A stick of ram will not fit where the CPU goes. If it doesn't fit then it doesn't go there. Video cards for the most part are all AGP. There is only one AGP slot in a computer. Anyone guess what goes there? The Video card. DUH! :noob:

You all make it sound like it is rocket science to build a computer. It isn't that hard.

Someone mentioned that it takes a pro 1 hour to build a computer. Actually 1 hour is the time it would take a noob. A pro can build 40+ computers in an 8 hour period. That would be me. Given the space I could build more than that. Just stream line the process.

Mount all the mainboards in their cases. That would be about 45 minutes and the slowest part to accomplish. Install all the CPU's, that is about 5 minutes. Install the ram, another 5 minutes. Install all the video cards, another 5 minutes. Install all the soundcards, another 5 minutes. Mount all the drives in their cases. Basic config is one HDD and one CDROM. (Systems are starting to not come with floppy drives as CROMS are bootable now.) That also takes about 30 to 45 minutes. Spend about 5 minutes on each system plugging in all the cables and making sure everything is seated properly. Plug them in and turn them on. Set the bios and start installing windows. BAM! 40 computers in 8 hours.

You really can't screw up building a computer. Pay attention to what your doing and read the owners manual for the mainboard. That will tell you all you need to know about plugging everything in. If something doesn't quite fit then don't force it. It probably doesn't go there.

Comment

Re: OT: How does your system compare against Alienware?

Originally posted by undrtakr
                        Go HERE and click the How does this system perform? link.

EDIT: Make sure you do it against the "Area-51 Extreme" comp.
                        Here's how you get to it:
                        1st- open the 'Performance Comparison' window for the "aurora enthusiast"
                        2nd- click on "List All Systems" link to find the Area-51 Extreme(it'll be the one at the top)
                        3rd- Click "Compare Individually"
                        I can't find any of those links?

Comment

Re: Re: OT: How does your system compare against Alienware?

Originally posted by Folk
                          I can't find any of those links?
                          Same

Comment

Probably because they don't exist.

Look at the date this thread was posted...

Comment

Originally posted by huh
                              Probably because they don't exist.

Look at the date this thread was posted...
                              ****, there's 30 minutes of my life wasted.

Comment

Working...
                              X