Your first UT2003 memories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Pre-demo: reading about Karma and then downloading the Karma demo, it was impressive and whetted my appetite.

Demo: set up Flashget to download over my old 56k connection whilst I was at work, got home to discover it had only managed about 1 meg before my internet connection got cut off. Finally played it the next day, and have to admit that I hated it. For some reason it defaulted to low detail and low-quality textures, and it looked awful. However, after a bit of tweaking and practice I learned to love it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    First memory is probably:
    "It comes on HOW MANY CDs??!!!"

Swiftly followed by admiring the sports intro (replete with cheesy commentators) and thinking: "This game is going to ROCK!!!", before actually playing it and hating it for the first three months, before I finally saw sense and learned how to play for real.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The first ?
    That would be a combination of the Karma-demo-movie (ooh look at him fall ... that must hurt) and the 'el Nino'-soundtrack (same video?).
    Plus there's that video with that german guy telling Mark to 'taunt' instead of 'wave goodbye' ...

Before that there were the previews which mentioned a virtual tournament for off-line games and using 'health-stations' instead of medpacks for health.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yeah i thought the game looked cool and i thought it would play like UT...

oh boy was i wrong!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    First I ever saw of it was probably ElecField screens, as for the game .... the demo .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The first video that demonstrated teh karma system. *******, I remember saying "that almost looks real"

Moving grass video

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Trying to figure out the adrenaline combos - that was fun. Also, I remember playing with a nice, polite group of people, which made the game all that more enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by A2597
    hmm...KARMA! that was first...
    :up: Karma is still way cool in my book.

Kinda hard to remember my very first thing about UT2k3 because it gets kinda mixed up with the early Unreal2 stuff.

One of the things I really remember....is back in the "two weeks" days when Cliff started a thread topic saying "The demo" and inside the his post was "it's not done yet "

((LOL)) The whole forum exploded like a bomb had gone off and his thread hit like 7 pages in 5 min. before he finally took the thread down.

I still get a kick out of that 1

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I remember my friend gave me Unreal cos they where throwing it away and I liked it but couldn't get online with it, and loved to play the bot-match, I played it online with Dreamcast once and loved it, so went out and bought UT2K3, and its one of the best.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hmm...

KARMA! that was first...
    then the gold inset in the walls in BR-Anubis. that awed me

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i never had nor wanted the leaks i waited and waited then i got the demo only played it like 2 hours and thought wow how far things have come..had to go out of town on business got back the day it was released bought installed it fired it up and saw gorge bust out of the Navidia add...lmao fired up instant action played for like 30 mins tweekin then just sat and wondered where is the UT part!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Few short things, the sphere in the alpha version that was killed in the full game somehow, the bright looking DM-Anatalus map, The Flubber thingie on DM-Curse3 on one of the vids, Burning the UT2003 demo on cdrom... The karma video with rolling body's and tons, and vehicles that should have been in UT2k3 but can only find back in a hanging lamp on BR-Slaugtherhouse, And ehh trouble with finding the way on CTF-Geothermal

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Air headshots, Air rockets, Air flak shells, Air shock balls, Air goo and Air grenade. (yes frags )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Guess I'm a thread killer...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My UT2003 Memories

Pre Demo:

I remember back in June or July last year (the lifespan sure was short, hmm...) someone on irc said "theres a translocator poll at INA" and I went over to vote and was shocked with posts like "remove the translocator!" and "god I hate that weapon" so indeed some of us started saying "just learn how to use it properly and you'll love it" This started a flame war between the experienced and the noob - my first taste of what INA was to become. The thread was ended by a DE employee who said "there will be no more abuse of the spammy translocator."
    I got a sinking feeling and started to get the clue that 2k3 was doomed before it even started.

I tried the 927 leak and sure enough the translocator was nerfed. The angle of fire was effed, you cant really it use in the UT style where on face you used to be able to TL from the middle of the map to the deemer window without touching the ground. I did find an exploit where I could "bounce" the TL on top of a teammates head and it would stay. :haha: We had some fun times playing ctf, we'd all pile our translocators on top of the main O guy, hed run to the enemy base and wed all spawn on top of em and pound their base to hell. 927 has a better feel to it than 2k3 does today - I think the characters have higher eye hieghth or the maps were smaller or something. Of course epic knows that 927 was literally everywhere: ftps, xdcc, kazza, bear websites etc.

Demo released

A lot of old school UTers played it for a few days and gave up, we were really disapointed that "relics" (adreneline) were included in stock gameplay and needed to be turned off for a real skill match. I spent more time playing BR. (I always liked the mod it was stolen from) Everyone goes back to good ol UT ctf. We thought the only weapon that was "UT like" was the rocket launcher. The fisher price shockrife with no power and unbelieveably slow secondary rate of fire estranged a lot of UT players and I mean a LOT. More INA flames about the shock rifle comence. The flak cannon - LOL - what a joke, the secondary becomes one of the most spammed weapons of all time in ctf.

Game released

I beat the game on Masterful the first day. The music was a little disapointing, I really hoped UT would continue with the electronica format, it really added to the "something unique" quality that UT and Unreal has. I bite the bullet and join a clan for some ctf thinking I'll get used to it. We join a ladder. The ladders accept adreneline as part of CTF matchplay. We and a few others protest. Matchplay commences. Adreneline ends up causing very one sided gameplay, the first to cap with speed usually wins. After that first grab, the defence tries to catch the speedflag and usually cant (unless he hangs on a static mesh somewhere) meanwhile the enemy has another hiding nearby our flag and grabs as soon as the last flag is capped (saving his adreneline) rinse, repeat. Eventually we quit the ladder disgusted with the so called leets using the excuse that adreneline "is part of ut2003, you just cant hang with us, we are teh bestest!!" Armor stacking is abused - nobody does anything about it. Epic did lots of interviews about 2k3 before release stating "its really a very team oriented game and will be supported at the major tourneys" WCG and the CPL only have 1v1 for ut2003. Oh well, it was a longshot that a game other than counterstrike would get any team support at a major tourney. wasnt cliffy quoted as saying "deathmatch is so 1990s?"

Ok so then, I thought I'd get into map making for 2k3 cuz lets face it, there was maybe 3 or 4 ctf maps that were any good outta the box. I grab a UT classic that is still played to this very day in matchplay: November Clan Edition and remove all UT content down to a wireframe, transform permanantly and scale up to 1.3. I learn a lot in the process, I start to enjoy map making and consult a very talented UT and 2k3 map maker Larathiel. He shows me how to optimize properly and made me a static mesh of the sub for the middle of the map - yay! I get the map smooth on framerate and feels good in testing with a few of the more famous US 2k3 players. The textures are all aligned, the meshes are looking good. Lighting was the most complex thing of all - you can make the most visually appealing and awesome layout but if the lighting is ****, it kills the whole thing. I tried to use a trigger to change the lighting over the flag to change to an effect where it would turn red and rotate when the flag was taken but you cant, 80% of peoples rigs are too slow to be able to handle it. Maybe I'll try it again after everyone has 9800s or better. I release the map, it is flamed by that same "you cant hang with us, we are teh bestest!!" clan leader and it is ignored. Once again hard work is rewarded with flames.

I really tried to give the game a chance, I tried to ignore the bugs and play anyways but, its just not fun. I'll try 2004 but I have no expectations of it being much different.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X