Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT99 to UT2k4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me, or is it easier to hit opponents in 2k4? I sure didn't do many 4-hit runs with the sniper in UT, yet in 2k4 I can pull it off almost ever map with the shock. I realise a lot of that is due to the relative power of the weapons, but still...

@RedShadowXX: Your UT weapon rant has me doubting whether you've actually played UT or not. Overpowered shock? Useless pulse??!? :haha: Maybe to pub whiners. But if you actually listen to people who are good at the game, it's the PULSE and the minigun that would get the most votes for being overpowered. I've never heard CTF teams bitch about about all shock defense. All pulse defense on the other hand... I won't get into your little rant about 2k4 being more skilled though.

I can play and enjoy the odd game of 2k4, but that's almost solely due to the people I play with. I don't "pub" 2k4. UT is still where it's at for me, and I enjoy damn near every map I play.

Comment

As said... UT200x is not any closer to Quake than UT is...

And DarkMatrix I realy though you where brighter than that.. the physics engine in "unreal warfare" (not the engines name btw) only apply to "Ragdolls" and other Karma enhanced objects.. (Karma is client side and hence cant have and gameplay related properties..

I dont know about the vehicles.. I think they use a karma but I aint sure.. But as you know the vehicles need to be both client and server side elseway someone might hit a wall with the bumber on one client and not on another...

The ragdolls are totaly clientside though... If I fire on a ragdoll allmost all others will see me firing at thin air...

Comment

Originally posted by bulletst0pper
        Is it just me, or is it easier to hit opponents in 2k4? I sure didn't do many 4-hit runs with the sniper in UT, yet in 2k4 I can pull it off almost ever map with the shock. I realise a lot of that is due to the relative power of the weapons, but still...

@RedShadowXX: Your UT weapon rant has me doubting whether you've actually played UT or not. Overpowered shock? Useless pulse??!? :haha: Maybe to pub whiners. But if you actually listen to people who are good at the game, it's the PULSE and the minigun that would get the most votes for being overpowered. I've never heard CTF teams bitch about about all shock defense. All pulse defense on the other hand... I won't get into your little rant about 2k4 being more skilled though.

I can play and enjoy the odd game of 2k4, but that's almost solely due to the people I play with. I don't "pub" 2k4. UT is still where it's at for me, and I enjoy damn near every map I play.
        It is definitely just you with the idea that you can hit opponents more easily in 2k4 than in 99. You are definitely mistaken. How can it possibly be easier to hit somebody in UT2k4 than in 99?! In UT99, i'm pretty sure the targets are bigger and they aren't nearly as mobile as they are in UT2k4 with UT2k4 have all the dodging techniques. Part of what pissed me off in UT99 was how easy it was to snipe somebody (i've had to deal with my share of FacingWorlds campers). In UT2k4 I HIGHLY doubt you got anything close to 4-hit runs with the sniper rifle or even the shock rifle, which, you must be a total noob if you couldn't do in UT99:haha:. It is damn near impossible, if you're not playing with Novice bots that is.

And what I meant by useless pulse was the primary fire. It is a pretty crappy primary fire, no argument. Secondary fire is definitely overpowered as you probably meant.

And I have played UT99 quite a bit (before i uninstalled it and played Quake 3) and I know the shock rifle is overpowered. The primary kicks too much ass, what with the players in UT99 not able to dodge as well as in UT2k4. And the ROF of the secondary fire is too high. IT IS WAY TOO POWERFUL.

Comment

I'm easy to find if you'd like to see how much of a noob I am. And regarding the 4-hit runs; it's really easy in 2k4 with the shock (note I was comparing UT's sniper with 2k4's shock because of similar ROFs), at least for me. The shock ROF is perfect once you hit the first shot, the rest are simple. :shrug And the people I play 2k4 with are certainly not top players, but they are far from being noobs. I've had my share of bot accusations in UT and still 4-hit runs in UT were rare for me. Come find me if you think I'm a noob. I mean surely because UT is soo simple compared to 2k4 you should have no trouble owning little old me. I wanna see you 4-hit me with the sniper.

Comment

Its quite easy to hit a player with several primary shocks in a row thanks to the extreme knockback effect of the weapon and its fast rof... The wounded player cant make a move before another shot has been fired from his opponent, it this shot hit as well the knockback kicks in again and turns the player imobile and easier to hit...

Comment

What he said. :up:

Comment

I have to agree there...

Opposite to what I have heard, UT2004 is more way spammy than UT99. One of the main contenders for this is the Rocket Launcher now having primary fire single-rocket. People just hold down the mouse button and jump around.

The same can be said for the Shock. The rate of fire for Shock primary and Rocket primary are used for excessive spam. The Flak is a spam weapon that has not changed much, although the rate of fire seems to have been increased slightly since UT99, Flak and Goo are the only weapons that are made to be spammed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbypants
                  graphics, but I also yearn for my Warcow...
                  I miss my warcow too...

been waiting forever for someone to model one fore ut2k3 or 2k4

Comment

man I'm a bit gutted I didn't play UT online (didn't have it then ) oh well at least I found ut04 :up:

Comment

Re: UT99 will always rule.

Originally posted by codacrem
                      But we must move on. UT03 was a terrible game where we all got ripped off.

But UT04 is solid. Forget the Onslaught mode. Just play the DM mode.

I am a UT99 addict but it has finally worn off. UT04 is okay.

/coda.
                      Pure pish.

There is NO WAY you can say UT2003 was a "terrible game where we all got ripped off" (who's this we, because I disagree), whereas UT2004 is "solid" - especially with regards to simply playing DM. The games are simply not that diverse with regards to this game mode. Weapons were altered slightly, and they fixed a bug (boost-dodge). Upshot is if you thought UT2003 DM was terrible, then you should logically be thinking the same with regards to UT2004 DM. To elevate the recent incarnation up so many notches in your "good game" opinion - over such small and relatively trivial matters - does not compute.

Really, lets face it, you're p1ssed simply because UT2003 was not UT99.

Comment

There is imo a big difference to how DM plays in UT2003 and UT2004... It might not look different on paper but it certainly shows when you are playing it. Just the change regarding shieldstacking makes the tactics change quite and the slowed down weaponswitch changes the way you play the game, atleast if you want to survive ^^ Also the weaponbalance is very different, now the link is an awesome weapon on its own and as we all know the minigun is a beast in the right hands...

If you just look skindeep on the differences then sure, they arent that big, but if you go deeper you will see why one actually prefer one over the other like it was night and day

Comment

Originally posted by ryansgladmin
                          Its your system. Open console Type stat fps what you gettin in ons? Funny I have 20 people on voice while we play everynight, and the only ones with problems mostly are ones with slow systems. Anyone who has their system done right, and setup right. 0 lag. I could go through and list all the different variables it could be but like you, I wont waste my time.
                          Please review what I have posted in this thread to determine exactly where I said I was having problems with my system. As a matter of fact, please review every post I have ever made to this forum to see where I have ever complained about the performance of my system.

You were complaining about UT99's netcode causing it to be laggy, which I said was BS, and if anything UT2004... at least in the ONS mode, which is all I play, seems to be laggier than UT99. Of course much of what we perceive as lag can be attributed to many factors and can be rather subjective, so it's doubtful any conclusions could be drawn.

The reason I said I would be wasting my time, is because your reading comprehension appears to be that of a 3rd grader, so going into some long discussion with you about anything would undoubtedly prove to be an exercize in frustration.

Are we clear now, or do I need to draw pictures?

Comment

I understand what you're saying - Ive been there and done it too.
                            BUT, to say UT2003 was "terrible", and yet claim UT2004 isn't, is way tooooo big a leap that cant be justified by the tweaking of several weapons and a change to shield stacking.

This is all Im saying.

I mean, you think about this - how petty must people who think like this look to Epic.

"UT2003 is terrible - im not playing this muck", closely followed by "UT2004 - fantastic, what a game" following some basic tweaks. Close analysis reveals that UT2003 couldnt have been that terrible after all. For what its worth, I had no issue with the link gun or mini in UT2003 - mini was great as a finisher, and link primary deadly in close quarters. Ok, alt was a bit weak, but it didnt make the game "terrible", and cause me to run back to UT99 in fits of fury

Comment

Well I started with Wolf3d

then doom and doom2

all of which i just played single player

then i picked up quake 1 quite a while after it was released

then i got quake2 right when it was released

etc
                              etc
                              etc

Comment

Originally posted by nightstormer
                                UT2k4 online player numbers blow if you disregard ONS. Roughly 2 - 3 times as many players play UT99 CTF vs. UT2k4 CTF. The only reason to play UT2k4 is for ONS, and that is what most people are playing. Otherwise, folks seem to want to play games that are actually fun to play in other gametypes. Quake3 is the undisputed champ in pure Deathmatch, and UT99 is by far superior for CTF. UT2k4 is nothing more than UT2k3 (with bonus packs) + ONS/AS. I for one hated UT2k3, it just wasn't much fun for the casual gamer/clanner and the game is now DEAD a year and half after release. Except for ONS (which is truly alot of fun), UT2k4 would be in online player hell. Guys who like to play other gametypes will continue to play other games, UT2k4 just doesn't have what it takes IMO.

In a nutshell: It's all about fun. ONS is a blast. Otherwise, WTF did I buy this game?
                                Even with Onslaught, UT2004 real player numbers(without counting bots in the stats) are quite low. UT2k4 is not nearly as good as UT99 for most people, and I'm not talking about fan boy UT99 players. Most of the original Unreal fan base got scared away, and took off sprinting, after UT2003.

The biggest misconception is that UT2004 has a lot of players and is in competition against games like Call of Duty, CounterStrike or BF1942, when its nearest competition is actually games lower on the list like Quake3. The MSU contest has helped make the game slightly more popular recently and maybe one of those mods will take off, but right now there is still not many players, especially when you look at the fan boys expectation of the game. What will happen when Doom3, Half-Life2 and other games are released

Comment

Working...
                                X