Epic: Include Cache Cleaner in 2k4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic: Include Cache Cleaner in 2k4?

Simple and Straightforward, a cache cleaner needs to be included with the game. Maybe something accesible from in game (that would be incredible), and if not that, at least something I'm not going to have to download from some third party site.

Its very annoying to have to redownload large maps after a short hiatus from playing, and it'd be nice to have an easy, epic-provided tool to actually save the maps on my HD.

Any responce will be appreciated.

oh man good thinking cant believe no one suggested this before yes im tired of the crappy ones people put out...........

Comment

:up:

Comment

The ability to delete **** maps (and associated files) from the maps folder from ingame would be a blessing...

... one of the few things that keeps me from trying more user-made maps is that you have to delete 95% of them, as they keep getting updated, or they are just ****.

I think a Map Manager (with ability to add maps from the cache) that is built in would be great.

There are several good user-made cache cleaners (with really weird names), but an official one would be better.

Comment

A good idea. Some cache manager, where you could delete items or move them to their appropriate directories (if you want to keep them) would be very handy.

Comment

yes please

downloading custom stuff (espiacilly maps) into a cache folder sucks

Comment

iirc most of the cache cleaner functionality is already in the engine, so a in-game cache cleaner shouldn't be that hard

Comment

Do commands like flush, obj garbage and dumpcache help any?

I think if anything there should be a command like cleardiskcache or something that people can type at least.

I can't ever get UT2k3 to overwrite old cached files that conflict. That would be a good solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q
                  The ability to delete **** maps (and associated files) from the maps folder from ingame would be a blessing...

... one of the few things that keeps me from trying more user-made maps is that you have to delete 95% of them, as they keep getting updated, or they are just ****.

I think a Map Manager (with ability to add maps from the cache) that is built in would be great.

There are several good user-made cache cleaners (with really weird names), but an official one would be better.
                  GO to Start>>>Search>>>and type ".tmp">>> then delete all the files.

This'll delete all the cached files in your folder(maps, mods, etc.) that you downloaded before the game loads when online.

Was this what you was talking about?:bulb:

Comment

Not really.

I'd like to be able to open up a Map Manager, and go through all the maps (seeing the screenshots, etc.) and select which ones to delete, which ones to scrounge from the cache and add to my map list, etc. Same for mutators etc.

I'd like to be able to, from within the game, delete Mysterial's UT3003RPG v3.2 so I can replace it with Mysterial's UT2003RPG v4[beta]... and then when the final version is released, just delete the beta mutator.

I need the GUI... I can't remember half the time what parts came with what. Not just keeping maps in the cache, but other stuff I downloaded.

Other programs exist... but I'd like one built in.

I'm greedy, I'll admit it.

Comment

Quite a few times people have complained about errors due to stuff still in the game's cache, so I'm pretty sure they've been working on this already.

It would be nice if the game supported subfolders too.
                      Right now I unzip a map including custom music, static meshes and the like in the appropriate folders.
                      I try the map, hate it, and need to take the time to find all the different files from the different folders.
                      Usually the names of the songs and static meshes are nothing like the map's, so unless I saved the original zip file it's hard to remember what belongs together...

Having subfolders for custom content should get rid of at least part of this problem.

Comment

Yeah, that's a GREAT idea.

Comment

I just have a shortcut to the cache folder on my desktop. When I get a file conflict I just close down 2k3, hit the cache folder, and delete the offending file. It's an extra minute of my time but if mappers or modellers would just stop making multiple versions of the same filename and distributing them between everything. Most mappers know better but some either don't know or don't care so we all have to adapt to that.

Comment

I'd like to keep this on the front page until I get some sort of official responce... I'd really like to hear from Dr. Sin or Steve, because this is really a simple feature to add to the game, unless the engine somehow makes it difficult to delete files or change the map list from within the game...

Comment

Originally posted by Main
                              I'd like to keep this on the front page until I get some sort of official responce... I'd really like to hear from Dr. Sin or Steve, because this is really a simple feature to add to the game, unless the engine somehow makes it difficult to delete files or change the map list from within the game...
                              If you can, try to add the word "Epic" to the thread's title. That should get Epic's attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X