Permanent ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanent ladder

I've put this idea forward a couple of times, but didn't get much response, so I'll try again:

All the "noobs should learn the game" threads lately got me thinking. A lot of players play the pubs because they don't want to invest themselves into clans, but are still decent players, i.e. a lot better than the average pubber - they have difficulty finding a game at their level.

I'm as good as a pile of cat poop at this game, so I have a similar problem, but the other way around: the other players are often so much better than me that the game is not enjoyable anymore.

I think some kind of permanent online ladder, like for RTSes, would solve this - on "ladder" servers, you only get to play people roughly your own skill, as determined by the number of games you played and your win/loss ratio (and any other relevant factor). There could still be "open" servers, where you go against anyone who's there regardless of skill, so you have a choice.

I expect some of you to point out the technical hurdles with this, but I don't see why it wouldn't be doable since it's already done with modern RTSes - they're different game types, but the networking and such should be fundamentally the same. We're already tracking stats (err... scratch that... ) so the refined data and facilities to compute the ladder rank is already there.

Yes? No? Why...?

Re: Permanent ladder

Originally posted by EternalNoob
    Yes? No? Why...?
    Yes, for two main reasons. One: I'll never join a clan because, for the most part, the high ratio of idiots and flamers in clans exactly matches that of the rest of the community; as a lone wolf I do not have to tolerate anyone for any longer than the length of a CTF match; I am not expected to post inanities on a clan message board (I am quite satisfied with posting inanities here); and (drumroll) I have no friends in real life--why should I have any on the 'Net? Two: It bores me to tears slapping n00bs around, and it bores me to tears getting slapped around by the expert players who've been playing FPSs for ten years or more (and I know it bores them, except for the occasional upset where they've really got to work for the win).

Comment

well, if you do join a clan you get the teamwork. just join a good one and you won't get the whining

Comment

Originally posted by Jermaine_X
        well, if you do join a clan you get the teamwork. just join a good one and you won't get the whining
        I haven't found one on the same continent, and yes, I spent some time looking. The nicest bunch of guys I found were in the Netherlands, and of course the ping time to their clan server was unbearable. And notice I mentioned RATIO of idiots and flamers: what I'm saying is, it doesn't matter if it's a clan or everybody else, the ratio of morons remains the same, hence, every clan will have bad apples.

depierce doesn't tolerate bad breath _or_ bad fruit. :sour:

Comment

66 views, 7 votes and 3 replies after 3 hours??? :weird:

Next time, I'll start a thread about brightskins - it'll be more successful... :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by EternalNoob
            66 views, 7 votes and 3 replies after 3 hours??? :weird:

Next time, I'll start a thread about brightskins - it'll be more successful... :bulb:
            lol

I think it would be a good idea, I might be more into it if I was online......

Comment

*BUMPADDABUMP*

I'm still amazed at how little response this got... Don't people want to play against people roughly their own skill? I think that would make things a lot more interesting for me anyway...

Comment

I think it's a great idea - work at your own pace, and prove yourself a lot more quickly if you need to. I would love to think 'right, im in the bottom ladder, maybe I can work my way up'. Also, you know that whatever ladder you are in, you deserve to be in.

Problems: same as current problems with 'pro' gamers. Not only would we have to put up with them saying they are pro, they would also start the 'im in a higher ladder so you dont get a say' stuff. Organising amounts of ladders, would it be division based, so we only play others in the same division, or what?

Good points: Play others of roughly your own skill (i hate pros - too much time not enough life IMO), play fair match ups, improve at your own rate, climb higher if you want to, all at your own pace.

:up: :up: :up: Good Idea.

Comment

Originally posted by danstringer
                  I think it's a great idea - work at your own pace, and prove yourself a lot more quickly if you need to. I would love to think 'right, im in the bottom ladder, maybe I can work my way up'. Also, you know that whatever ladder you are in, you deserve to be in.

Problems: same as current problems with 'pro' gamers. Not only would we have to put up with them saying they are pro, they would also start the 'im in a higher ladder so you dont get a say' stuff. Organising amounts of ladders, would it be division based, so we only play others in the same division, or what?

Good points: Play others of roughly your own skill (i hate pros - too much time not enough life IMO), play fair match ups, improve at your own rate, climb higher if you want to, all at your own pace.

:up: :up: :up: Good Idea.
                  I understand you point about pros, but I find they are merely a minor annoyance these days. Not all of them are arrogant dorks, to start with, and the ladders would remove the problem of getting constantly owned online.

Comment

prehaps an offline training session could b added via mod, before you game will allow you online there will b an hour long training program, this would cover all the gametypes and mean that there would (hopefully) be no more ppl coming online and asking, how do you play this game?!? :down: , and then there could b a leveling system, say 10 levels, you choose your level, and if you beat it then that is your designated level, and u carry on up till you cannot beat it, so an average player would get a 3 say, then a server uses the same mod to decide what levels are allowed on (i.e 2-5) leaving players with a challange of similar level ranges, the higher level ranges would have to include a handycap for players as it is easy for most player to beat godlike bots and still have their *** handed to them online

Comment

As another (fairly) advanced player disenchanted by the domination of clans in this video game, I think this would be a great idea. I have been playing this game A LOT lately and am trying to look into competitive contests with cash prizes...I know its possible to make money being good at this game, I just don't know where to go to compete for that money. I think this is a great idea for those of us that don't really believe in clan stuff, but still want to be able to compete against people that match our skill level and improve...

Comment

*BUMP*

Let's revive this one from the grave - I think the topic is as relevant as ever...

Comment

Sure.

Comment

Um... the ladders out are just fine.

You start with a set rating and it moves up or down depending on the teams you beat/lose to. Since you can only challenge so far up/down said ladder it prevents the stronger teams from picking on the lesser teams, so you invariably end up playing in your skill bracket. (so if you want to 1 v 1 that works)

The other problem you have (and perhaps the largest one making your idea totaly impossible) is that allot of servers out there are owned by private people that pay for them. Not like saw warcraft 3. Most of these servers are owned by clans. So trying to regulate who can play where is totaly idiotic. That would only work if epic owned all the servers, but you can't regulate privately paid for servers. You simply can not regulate and force servers to be locked at a certain skill level.

What you should do is find servers of your skill level. TBH pubs aren't very hard and people tend to stick to ones around their level.

On the other hand if you find that you are owning up pubs, stop playing them. Get on IRC and play in PUG's that's a mix of clanners or decent people tired of pubs.

Comment

I wonder.. mySQL database off of parsed utstats. Can UTScript do SQL? That would be a GREAT mutator.

Comment

Working...
                              X