Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OT] Musical Artists That You Consider GODLIKE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by BrokenOath
    Unearth
    nice, they rock so much!!

I also enjoy:
    Soilwork
    In Flames
    Killswitch engage
    Chimaria
    Spineshank
    36 crazyfists

Recently saw In Flames and Killswitch in concert. ****ing awesome:up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To narrowdown the list i just say -->Basicly anything you cannot dance<--

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nacher
    I'm really shocked by two things this thread shows up :

1. Like 99% of the bands you list are from US or UK. I knew those areas are very isolated when it comes to music scene, but it seems like you haven't got a slightest clue what kind of music is made in the rest of the world

2. Your musical tastes are unbeliveably shallow, narrow and predictable. Most of the people here list only the most known and accessible mainstream genres, and only the easiest and most accessible bands from them. Tool seems to be the only major exception, but it most likely is because their skyrocketed popularity, not their complex musical delivery. Someone who lists bands like Linkin Park as godlike, most likely don't have a clue about music.

Guys like Marumari and blh seem to be quite far above the mass though. Some actual depth and diversity in those lists, not just 50 mainstream rock and 50 mainstream rap bands.

Phew. Listen to some Pink Floyd, Opeth, Shpongle, whatever... Just try something that does not play on MTV.

end of rant
    I totaly agree. You saved me some typing.

EDIT: And I do have to agree with you BrokenOath ... Unearth is a good band. So is Shai Hulud and Atreyu.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nacher
    I'm really shocked by two things this thread shows up :

1. Like 99% of the bands you list are from US or UK. I knew those areas are very isolated when it comes to music scene, but it seems like you haven't got a slightest clue what kind of music is made in the rest of the world

2. Your musical tastes are unbeliveably shallow, narrow and predictable. Most of the people here list only the most known and accessible mainstream genres, and only the easiest and most accessible bands from them. Tool seems to be the only major exception, but it most likely is because their skyrocketed popularity, not their complex musical delivery. Someone who lists bands like Linkin Park as godlike, most likely don't have a clue about music.

Guys like Marumari and blh seem to be quite far above the mass though. Some actual depth and diversity in those lists, not just 50 mainstream rock and 50 mainstream rap bands.

Phew. Listen to some Pink Floyd, Opeth, Shpongle, whatever... Just try something that does not play on MTV.

end of rant

Im suprised we got this far before we met a musical snob. An interesting breed. For a start, look again, you wanted to see that so much you filtered out the truth. Actually there are many groups listed from around the round covering all genres from ambient to pop to metal.

Second, listening to one type of music does not make you better or worse than others. That you have broader tastes and are fortunate to have exposure to Mano Chou and Sita Beats volume1 does not make you superior to the rest of us. It really doesnt.

Third, the US and UK music industries are recognised as producing some of the best and most diverse music in the world (and a fair share of rubbish ). The UK for example has led the world in Dance music through artists such as the Chemical brothers, Orbital, Prodigy, Underworld, Aphex Twin etc, etc. As well as producing the Beatles and Queen. These bands are well known and well loved for a very good reason. Not just by US and UK fans of course, sounds from both areas have penetrated the rest of the world like none other.

The UK is a massively multi cultural society and this is reflected more and more in commercial music. Just because it is popular it doesnt make it bad, by all means be a musical snob, but you will miss out on plenty of good stuff too. These people have a great starting point and as they get older they will get into more obscure things in their own time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Music to frag by

RATM - killing in the name of
    Audioslave - show me how to live
    Spineshank - synthetic
    Sepultura - Territory
    Metallica - master of puppets
    Slayer - raining blood
    Iron Maiden - run to the hills
    36 Crazyfists - slit wrist theory
    Chimaira - down again
    MachineHead - All Falls Down
    Jerry Cantrell - Owned*

Anymore similar names to think of?

* = Late addition

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Eeep

Whats up with all you people who listen to different music. I listen to some punk myself, but you dont see me harshly bashing everyone who listens to something else, even if its the so called 'commercial bullcrap'. Why is your taste better You cant argue over taste. Like Foo so eloquently put, get off your musical high horse.
    Sure you can argue about taste. People do it all the time. You're not necessarily being supercilious and conceited just because you say what you think about this or that. It's your opinion, you have as much right to state it as anyone else has to challenge it. I do see your point too. I appreciate its a good thing to respect that everyone has their own tastes but that doesn't mean I can never point out overrated junk just because there might be someone out there who worships it like a dog. I don't do it a lot, but sometimes.

I did say techno was no better than elevator music. An overgeneralization no doubt about it. But there's truth in that statement.

I did say I never took Elvis Presley seriously also, but in that case I think I misspoke. It would be better to say that I was more or less precluded from considering Elvis as a musician by the natural divide between the time of his greatest popularity and the time when I was actually living and somewhat dimly aware of what popular music was, by which time he existed mainly as a memory of a bygone age which as far as I know might never have existed really.

I did really like the instrumental bit of some Elvis song they played in MIB on the 8-track when they were driving upside down in their rocket car. Maybe it was the context.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Joe Satriani
    Dave Mustaine =}

Leave a comment:

• replied
    husker du

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I read this thread, I realise I left out many in my original post. (Les Claypool, Tom Morello, Jimi Hendrix, Maynard)

Definently add to the list Faith No More. I listen to loads of Depeche Mode so I can't leave it out really, although it is quite different. U2 is great too, truly a legendary band in every way. Oh and I'm going to see Metallica on the 28th, **** I probably know all their lyrics out by heart still! I just don't really like the post-Load stuff, Black album was their last truly brilliant album.

I also really used to dig Pantera and Sepultura a lot, but I've sort of "grown out of it". Still, I like to listen to it every now and then to vent out some built up anger

Leave a comment:

• replied
    godlike bands:
    Slayer
    Iron Maiden

Godlike guitarists:
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    Stevie Ray Vaughn

Godlike Basists:
    Billy Sheehan
    Steve Harris

Godlike Drummers:
    Buddy Rich
    Neil Peart

Leave a comment:

• replied

Whats up with all you people who listen to different music. I listen to some punk myself, but you dont see me harshly bashing everyone who listens to something else, even if its the so called 'commercial bullcrap'. Why is your taste better You cant argue over taste. Like Foo so eloquently put, get off your musical high horse.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i havn't seen any Godlike musicians in this trhead, only commercial rubbish

if your looking for "godlike" atrists then try searching one of these guys:

Tito puente
    James Brown
    Micheal Jacksons (early days)
    Ray Baretto
    Mongo Santamaria
    Carlos "Patato" Valdez
    Stan Getz
    Charlie parker
    Dizzi Gelespie

now those are one for one true GOD like musicians.

LMAO at limp bizkit , they would know music if it bit in thier behinds...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Throwdown
    Hatebreed
    Bane
    Converge
    Sick of It All
    Stampin' Ground
    As I Lay Dying
    Unearth
    Since The Flood
    Knuckledust
    Angel Crew
    Shai Hulud

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My favourites...

Aphex Twin
    anything by Yoko Kanno
    Seatbelts
    Rammstein
    Be-for-u
    Plus-Tech
    Mozart
    Jimi Hendrix
    Beethoven
    Slipknot
    Styrofoam
    Muse
    Uilab

...mmm funky

UT MUSIC IS TEH PWN!!!11one :bulb::up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey guess what Nacher... if someone lists Linkin Park as godlike, then to them, they are.

Deal with it, and get off your musical high horse.

Besides, you just listed Opeth :haha:

(see how dumb comments like that are?)

EDIT: almost forgot, accusing people of having 'no clue about music' is the biggest irony of all. Since you must beleive somewhere down the line that there is a deep understanding of music which people should have to acquaint themselves with in order to appreciate music itself. Which is almost on par in terms of elitism as the old 'you can't understand music unless you play an instrument' line.

End of counter-rant

Leave a comment:

Working...
X