Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EPIC : Framerate Cap still not highered ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    EPIC : Framerate Cap still not highered ?

    Still no bCapFramerate option after the new patch :cry:

    I wouldn't even mind if they wouldn't add it, if they at least highered the online frame cap to 100 or 120 fps PLZ PLZ PLZ !!!

    The difference in smoothness between 2k4 and other games is obvious.

    No this has nothing to do with the eye perceiving such things, but with the on-screen aiming and corresponding mouse movements smoothness.

    Ok, it's playable ATM, very playable.
    Still, 100 fps framecap would be better so my vsync acts normal when in 800x600 and I can link my monitor 100Hz with the 100 fps I would get (if you'd higher it that is !). 120 would even be better, and this wuold be good for all.

    Do you really think people are gonna think of this game as a smooth game in 2 years, when everyone has 200 Hz monitors and gfx cards which can play this game at +100 fps ...

    Leave the framecap, but higher it plz, the game would be so much better.

    :cry:

    PS.: you're still all doing a great job there

    #2
    Re: EPIC : Framerate Cap still not highered ?

    Originally posted by RedruM-X
    Do you really think people are gonna think of this game as a smooth game in 2 years, when everyone has 200 Hz monitors and gfx cards which can play this game at +100 fps ...
    Perhaps they should patch it in 2 years time when everyone has 200Hz monitors, and leave it as it is for now, so that the people with 60Hz monitors won't be at such a disadvantage against those with 100Hz ones.

    Comment


      #3
      WHAAA!! WHAAA!! :cry:
      I can't play 2k4 at the 200FPS I want to when I play online!! Epic!! Fix your broken game!! :cry:


      Deal with it. Not everyone can get 90 fps all the time.
      Be ****ing happy you have good enough hardware to keep your fps high

      Comment


        #4
        omg i would love to get higher than 20fps with everything set to LOWEST never mind 120fps!!

        can you even tell the diff between what ever its capped and 120fps :weird:

        Comment


          #5
          The framecap is there for a reason.
          Your FPS determines how often your PC sends an information packet to the server. Sure you could raise the framecap by 50% and only make your game send a packet every three frames (instead of every two), but that would probably end up making your shots feel more inaccurate and laggy. And the effect of FPS on your effective ping would also be a lot higher.
          In other words, the pros barely outweigh the cons (it's only a very small boost in FPS after all), and for that small advantage I doubt Epic would want to screw around with their netcode all over.

          Comment


            #6
            6 years on and the unreal the netcode still sucks..

            Comment


              #7
              I honestly cannot tell the difference between 85fps and 100fps.

              Once it gets above 60, it's pretty much all the same to me.

              Comment


                #8
                Don't you think there's a reason for the online framecap? Maybe the nedcode depends on it. I'm sure if the programmers would find a way to bypass the cap, they'd sure take it away. But I really have no idea what threads like this should change.

                (sorry for my rant, but its not the first time i hear about the framecap and i already smell the upcoming flamewar concerning the human eye and its abilities, sheez... edit: omg it already has begun!!! */me flees into the woods filled with horror*)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Nexx_au
                  6 years on and the unreal the netcode still sucks..
                  I suggest you give me a game with better netcode.
                  Quake3a?
                  Or how about um... RTcW!
                  No wait, wait. Halo PC!

                  Seriously, we're not off that bad with UT2k4's netcode. What's more, UT2k4 is DEFINITLY the easiest game to get a mod with netcode going.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    First of all, the advantage OR disadvantage as you call it is NIHIL between 60 and 100 Hz (or even 120Hz), you'd only see a difference in the smoothness of on-screen movement, which would help all !!!
                    Players who would have 120 fps (and Hz) and you for example only 60 fps (@ 120 Hz or whatever Hz) wouldn't be able to walk faster, that's such BS !!! HOAX !!! (Read below why)
                    The player with 120 fps would only see smoother movement on his screen, ok, it would make it theoretically easier to aim for him, but he can't aim FASTER then you, only smoother, which is why NVIDIA and ATI are making new cards all the time ... that's THE POINT OF COMPUTERS ISN'T IT !
                    You buy a better gfx card to have smoother movement (and NOT to walk faster then someone with a lesser system, which has nothing to do with it).

                    Why this is a hoax :
                    The thing you're talking about is ONLY IF the server has framecap DISABLED, then you would be able to walk as FAST as your computer+server could give you, thus players with faster machines would be able to play faster, giving them an advantage, but I'm talking about NOT disabling the framecap, and only highering it.

                    Theoretically in UT'99 there is no framecap, so theoretically the one with the fastest pc would be the fastest player.
                    Still it doesn't work that way, just as it doesn't work that way in UT2k3.
                    When you have a fast machine, and you disable VSYNC, and you go play UT'99 (or 2k3 with bframecap disabled), you'll see it is unplayable, because the server pulls you back constantly, thus making the game unplayable and giving a sort of lag (client too fast for server, thus server corrects clients location = lag).
                    Which is a good thing !!!
                    HOWEVER, both in 99 and 2k3, you can ENABLE your vsync, and if you THEN disable framecap (only for 2k3, not needed for UT'99) you could play perfectly well at, for example, a resolution of 640x480 @ 120 Hz, this gives VERY smooth movement, but DOES NOT MAKE YOU ANY FASTER THAN OTHER PLAYERS !!!

                    With other words, there is nothing wrong with highering the framecap, this would benefit all !!!

                    What you're actually saying is the following statement :
                    Look, there's this dude who still plays with his Voodoo3 and his 30Hz monitor, because of him, we're going to leave the framecap @ 30fps, because otherwise ppl with higher fps would be able to see smoother movements ...

                    ROFL !!!
                    Ridiculous.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by RedruM-X
                      What you're actually saying is the following statement :
                      Look, there's this dude who still plays with his Voodoo3 and his 30Hz monitor, because of him, we're going to leave the framecap @ 30fps, because otherwise ppl with higher fps would be able to see smoother movements ...

                      ROFL !!!
                      Ridiculous.
                      The framerate cap is now 30fps I could've sworn it was MUCH higher than that. Epic plz fix this NOW!!


                      BTW: No-one except you mentioned anything about how having a different framerate cap could alter the speed at which you walk in game, that is "ridiculous".

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Early_bath
                        BTW: No-one except you mentioned anything about how having a different framerate cap could alter the speed at which you walk in game, that is "ridiculous".
                        This is true.
                        What we were talking about is that aiming is just easier at higher FPS, and that most people don't get FPS as high as 85 anyway.
                        Still, that's only a minor reason as there's large differences in FPS in the first place.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Early_bath
                          Perhaps they should patch it in 2 years time when everyone has 200Hz monitors, and leave it as it is for now, so that the people with 60Hz monitors won't be at such a disadvantage against those with 100Hz ones.
                          Answer : BS, when done right, it does not enable players with faster comps to run faster, read my 2nd post above ...

                          Originally posted by Kel
                          WHAAA!! WHAAA!! :cry:
                          I can't play 2k4 at the 200FPS I want to when I play online!! Epic!! Fix your broken game!! :cry:


                          Deal with it. Not everyone can get 90 fps all the time.
                          Be ****ing happy you have good enough hardware to keep your fps high
                          Answer : I am dealing with it, but if you'd only understand how the framecap EXACTLY works, instead of how YOU think it works ... then you'd understand too what the benefit of it is.
                          You, do not understand this however, because you think when playing at 120 HZ, it will make you run faster ??? Read my second post above to udnerstand why this is not so. Oh and can't you read ???, I never said 200 Hz, thats BS, 120 Hz will do just fine for everyone, even 5 years later that'll be still ok. It'll be ok forever, simple as that.

                          Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
                          omg i would love to get higher than 20fps with everything set to LOWEST never mind 120fps!!

                          can you even tell the diff between what ever its capped and 120fps :weird:
                          Answer : again totally wrong. Which I understand only because people are just spamming answers like I see here about the subject, while they don't even know how it exactly works and are saying things wrongfully ! First know the difference between 120 Hz and 120 Fps, and understand what VSYNC is. And AGAIN for the 10.000th time, A HUMAN EYE CAN HARDLY SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 60Hz and more. BUT this has NOTHING to do with the EYE, but with the mousemovement and the corresponding on screen movement (your little crosshair yes), and that's EXACTLY what this is all about, your eye won't see those more hz's and fps's, but your eye WILL see the mouse pointer moving more smoothly @higher Hz's, ONLY if your pc can give you the needed fps for that Hz. AGAIN, has NOTHING theoretically to do with the eye, but with the feeling and mouse movement (on screen) of the game !!! MANY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS !!! (don't take me wrong, I don't mind and I hope you don't think I'm flaming you ! Because I'm not). In instant action games your frames aren't capped at 85, just check the difference in mouse movement with online games, it shows !!! (only if your card can give more then 85fps offcourse). I clearly see the difference in mouse movement between 85fps and 100fps on my system. Again, this is not the difference in frames I see, but smoother movement.

                          Originally posted by Boksha
                          The framecap is there for a reason.
                          Your FPS determines how often your PC sends an information packet to the server. Sure you could raise the framecap by 50% and only make your game send a packet every three frames (instead of every two), but that would probably end up making your shots feel more inaccurate and laggy. And the effect of FPS on your effective ping would also be a lot higher.
                          In other words, the pros barely outweigh the cons (it's only a very small boost in FPS after all), and for that small advantage I doubt Epic would want to screw around with their netcode all over.
                          Answer : total BS, sorry to say. You're partly right about the packets, but this only becomes a problem when they would REMOVE the cap, which I am NOT saying, they should HIGHER it, NOT remove it. The problem you say would probably also occur when the cap would be highered to 150+fps or something, that's why I say 100 or 120 would be best, for EVERYBODY. Besides, it didn't give problems in UT'99, it didn't give problems in UT2k3, it won't give problems in 2k4, simple as that.

                          Originally posted by Nexx_au
                          6 years on and the unreal the netcode still sucks..
                          Answer : ROFL man, get a life, Unreals netcode belongs to the best of the world ...

                          Originally posted by herryoyo
                          I honestly cannot tell the difference between 85fps and 100fps.

                          Once it gets above 60, it's pretty much all the same to me.
                          Answer : Again, you do not understand what I mean. It is not about your EYE seeing more frames, it's about the general feel of the on-screen mouse movement, your aim is smoother when you have higher fps, this linked with the Hz of your monitor, will give a MEGA smooth feeling to the game, like UT'99 and UT2k3 have. yo ucould say it's still the eye that sees these things, but it's not about seeing the frames or more frames, again, it's about the feeling.

                          Originally posted by ZuBsPaCe
                          Don't you think there's a reason for the online framecap? Maybe the nedcode depends on it. I'm sure if the programmers would find a way to bypass the cap, they'd sure take it away. But I really have no idea what threads like this should change.

                          (sorry for my rant, but its not the first time i hear about the framecap and i already smell the upcoming flamewar concerning the human eye and its abilities, sheez... edit: omg it already has begun!!! */me flees into the woods filled with horror*)
                          Answer : again, this works perfectly fine in 2k3 and 99. AND AGAIN, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR EYE !!! ANYBODY WHO SAYS THOSE THINGS DOES NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT FRAMECAP IS ABOUT !!!

                          PS.: I'm sorry if I came over a little rough here ! I didn't want to insult anyone, so if I did I apologize !!! But whenever I talk about this subject with people, most seem to have a totally wrong idea about what framecap is, what it does, and so on ... .

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Again, you do not understand what I mean
                            I can play the game at over 100fps offline. The game feels exactly the same to me online as offline.

                            I didn't say it was an eye issue, I said I can't tell the difference.
                            The *only* difference I can notice is the addition of ping time with online games.

                            I'm not disputing that other people can, I'm just saying that the increase does absolutely nothing for me.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by RedruM-X
                              Answer : I am dealing with it, but if you'd only understand how the framecap EXACTLY works, instead of how YOU think it works ... then you'd understand too what the benefit of it is.
                              You, do not understand this however, because you think when playing at 120 HZ, it will make you run faster ??? Read my second post aboveto udnerstand why this is not so. Oh and can't you read ???, I never said 200 Hz, thats BS, 120 Hz will do just fine for everyone, even 5 years later that'll be still ok. It'll be ok forever, simple as that.
                              Assumptions can get people in trouble.
                              1. Where in the blue hell did I say anything about a higher Hz/fps allowing a player to move faster? Nowhere. You should try readin as well
                              2. If you took the first part of my post seriously, you need a lesson in sarcasm(I should have used the [sarcasm] tags for the incompetant)

                              Your entire complaint that fps is capped in online play is foolish.
                              You should be happy that Epic has set the limit at 90, not complaining it isn't high enough.
                              Some of us still try and play at 30 fps(not everyone can afford an "uber-1337" system)

                              Quite simply, out of all the things about UT2004 that you could complain about, you chose fps caps.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X