Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you imagine, the people you're killing are humans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done this since the original UT, but only when I was really ****** off. It's a more productive (kinda) solution to relieving my anger than self-mutilation or actually hurting real people...

In UT99, when I was angry, I'd name all the bots after people that I rather disliked and put 'em on novice...and, you can guess what happened (hint: lots of gibs, and they weren't mine).

It's harder to rename the bots in 2003/2004, so I can't do that anymore, but meh...I don't get as angry anymore either. You see? UT helped me!!

Comment

when i play games all i think is its just a serise of 1s and 0s that another program of 1s and 0s interperts as pixles in diffrent colors that my mind interputs as a word or a tree.

but to all those out there that think the bot as your biggiest foe, than you may need some help because thats going to teach you that violence is ok when its aginst your enemy. now lets say that you think your enemy is anyone who gets on your nerves. although it requires alot of things to happen, this stuff happens everyday in smaller scales. lets say that when every you get ****** you go down to the junkyard and let all hell break loss on the broken down car with a hammer or even a gun. now lets say your driving down the road or taking a walk. someone ****** you off so badly that you have to get that rage out. your miles from that junkyard but your mind figures that it would be "ok" to pretend that that person that ****** you off was the car. i think you can tell what happens from there

Comment

Whenever I see someone else in my target zone I usually just think of them as prey.

Comment

To me, it's just a game. The other characters aren't real, and I don't imagine them to be. Perhaps I am just mature enough to make distinctions kids cannot or prefer not to make.

I am constantly aware that there are real people behind the characters on screen. I like winning, and take a dislike for some players, especially if I suspect they are cheating some how.

It doesn't mean I wish I was hurting them for real. Or does it?

Comment

Originally posted by LTetrisBlock
            ...to all those out there that think the bot as your biggiest foe, than you may need some help because thats going to teach you that violence is ok when its aginst your enemy.
            WRONG'D!

I, of course, know violence is not the answer (well, to most things). Sure, I've got vendettas with people in real life, and have little thought s about killing them, but I'd never go through with it due to all the consequences, like how when I thought of suicide, but didn't do it, again, due to the concequences.

So this is why I love games like UT. You can kill people...no consequences whatsoever because they are not real.

Comment

Definitely not. It's just a contest, me controlling my electronic robot trying to eliminate someone else's electronic robot.

Some people say voilent video games are a bad influence.
              Yes people say that. And guess what, it's true - though not quite how those people are thinking. The fact is TV, movies, and video games are generally not good for kids. (Violent games really are neither more nor less a "bad influence" than nonviolent games.) Why? It's because they spend too much time with these instead of at other activities, and as a result a certain part of the brain doesn't develop as it should. This part of the brain is where behavior and self-control happens. You can see the results for yourself. I got this info from a study conducted by a scientist in Japan, who was intending to prove that video games are actually good for kids. Not surprisingly, he failed.

Comment

I think the whole beauty of UT isn't its mindless killing, but the way it takes the mindless killing and distills it into a game, not a simulator. It's meant to be extremely fun and fast paced, not to reflect 'real life'. And I think everyone knows that difference, even that disturbed child on your bus.

Comment

Fragging, Fragging Fragging thats all.

Comment

every person i have ever killed has been a human.

Comment

the people who go around killing and get caught usually have some lawyer who knows using video games will probably get this killer (aka client) a much lesser sentence in a court room. however we still live in an environment where excuses pay more of a part than responsibility, most people will blame their own actions on something as obscure as video games and its these people who worry me.

Comment

I name the bots after people that I work with!

It's a great stress reliever, but seriously, (aw foock-it no one wants to be serious).

Comment

i imagine killing others players characters not actually the players

Comment

i dont kill people... i kill xpawn's

Comment

I imagine myself as killing humans, aliens, and robots within the context of the game.

The context of the game being "I'm in a tournament where the other guys are heavily armed and trying to shoot me in the face with rockets, so I don't feel particularly remorseful about setting their heads on fire, especially since they will be brought back to life instantly, anyway."

I sure as hell don't fantasize about my oppenents being my real-life "enemies." I'd consider that to be an unhealthy mental exercise. Also, I don't have any real-life "enemies," unless my real-life friends are just waiting for an opportune moment to run me over with a hovercraft.

This possibility doesn't keep me up at nights.

Comment

I tried the "I dislike violence" way for a while... But it isn't fun at all when you can't pull the trigger...

In a compensation, I always say a prayer before shooting someone now. May god forgive me for being such an criminal person.

Come on, it's a game.. Same as people getting killed in movies... It's fake!

Comment

Working...
                                X