Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you imagine, the people you're killing are humans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I killed the baby!

Comment

Originally posted by andreaskem
      You could also kick a ball and imagine it would be the head of your foe. It isn't really limited to video-games.
      But you can say that kicking the ball is a “safe” way of releasing aggression. Even if you were to imagine it as your worse enemies head, the act of kicking the ball might calm you down, and and give you time to consider the possibility that kicking someone in the head for real isn’t as good an idea as it might have seemed.

Comment

Originally posted by |IB|Chrome
        Its funny this generation with all their ideas about how to bring up kids the best are actually raising a breed of monsters....I think we are quite literally 1 generation away from a complete moral breakdown of homocidal maniacs.
        i think in the us this kind of moral breakdown is in a an advanced state...im not generalizing but just think at how "cool" every kind of violence is being portrayed by the entertaining media....

Comment

Well I for one does think of other players as other people sitting somewhere in front of their PC. It kinda makes it more fun when you beat someone, then its like "Hey I am better than you". It is not like I wish them dead or anything, I just want to beat them in the game. Otherwise it would just be like a bot game.

Comment

The West European civliization that begat America was very violent. They dealt with it in part by exporting criminals and other excess populations to the New World. The America that followed was very violent, and violence was dealt with in part by giving away free land out west so that pioneers and other ne'er do wells could beat it out of the cities back east. America is still violent today but the tactic of geographic expansion is no longer available. It remains to be seen what will become of that. Anyway, this society has always been 'a generation' or less away from anarchy. War, as Mick Jagger said, is just a shot away. I think it's funny and naive how people sometimes imagine that safety and stability are the norm, and that all they have to do is watch out for dangerous subversive things like video games(!) to maintain public order. I think in reality whatever tranquility they experience ought to be greatly appreciated by them, because it could disappear at any time, for any reason, or no reason, and it's likely nothing most of them do as individuals will have any bearing on the outcome whasoever. Unless it's who they vote for maybe. So chew on that.

Comment

I'm only playing bots :haha:

No, seriously, I do not imagine the pawns I shoot there are actually real ppl.
              Yes, I know there are real ppl on the other side of the internet on their comps, but they are SAFE there and I do not really hurt them (as long as I don't call them botters ) - I only gibby their player pawn in pices (well, most of the time they frag me, but hell....)

Comment

When I play, I see people playing the same game.
                I don't see fragging someone as just killing them, you're temporarily removing them from the action and reducing their strength a bit

Comment

It's a game and completely detached from reality. Anyone who makes any connection with real people and the models onscreen could probably do with a little monitoring. Particularly after the way things have gone in the past.

Or if they're in America where they can buy their **** guns at the same time as their groceries :sour:

Comment

Originally posted by Overzero
                    You're not watching people dying. You're simply watching pixels on a computer's monitor change colour because of a user's input.
                    :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo
                      Erm, they are just moving targets and some of them might also look like humans in UT(2kx) or CS or Quake or whatever, but that's not the reason for shooting them.

Comment

Its a ****ing game, not reality :bulb:

Comment

it's space invaders in a pretty dress.

Comment

One of the reasons I prefer Unreal over other FPS games is because it is not real. I don't think of it as killing... I think of it as an elaborate game of tag.

Comment

its' better to just forget that while your playing. I imagine I'm beating my wife with a bigger arsenal.

Comment

I imagine that my electronically represented nonspatial avatar is doing battle with other nonspatial electronic avatars that are controlled by living people in various physical spaces. These electronic representations live and die in a simulated sphere of influence, and are bound by arbitrary physical and metaphysical rules.

Of course, it could all be like "Ender's Game" and what we are really doing is ruthlessly controlling real fighters in horrific conflict zones. Perhaps the game aspect is all an illusion, and this is a ploy by the military-industrial complex to get remorseless quick-twitch combat direction under the guise that it is "all just a game."

Whoa, that bong hit just kicked in bigtime.

Comment

Working...
                                X