More patch changes (build 3203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffy Summers
    The problem is that while this might be valid for Onslaught or Assault (or even CTF and TDM sometimes) on pubs, it greatly upsets the balance in clanwars where you, atleast in TDM, don't camp by hiding.

The end result on maps like Deck17 is just that the sniper is clearly inferior to other weapons. If I have shock I much prefer to use primary-shock than sniper (twice the ROF, 45 in damage compared to 60 for sniper, push-backs). And if the enemy gets close, you can combo OR switch to flak or rl.
    You're conveniently ignoring that only the sniper gets headshots.

Comment

Originally posted by Serious Hoagie
      Is the Lightning Gun model fixed yet?

Comment

Ok, I believe in the LAST changelog they said the lightning gun model was fixed, now quit asking.

Comment

bite me

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial
            You're conveniently ignoring that only the sniper gets headshots.
            Buffy conveniently ignores pretty much anything he finds inconvenient...

PS: You're from Epic and you have a WL? :weird:

Or rather: :haha:

Comment

Originally posted by EternalNoob
              PS: You're from Epic and you have a WL? :weird:
              Or rather: :haha:
              So does Willhaven. although I believe he got them before actually being hired by Epic, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by egames-berlin
                i have another 2 questions ...

- what about the bad readable colors of the players when selecting a server
                - and the server-filter function needs improvements!

--+--+-+-+-+--
                New Version of the "Yet Another UT Cache Manager"
                I agree, the background graphics is horrible with the blue player text. You have to click on the players to highlight them so you can read the names. They definately need to change that.

And on the server list they need to add an ALL GAMETYPE selection that will show all servers irrespective of gametype. Sometimes I would like to pick the server I play on using all of the information (ping, gametype, number of players) and having to flip through all of the gametypes is annoying as hell.

Comment

In the hands of someone with great aim, the sniper rifle is probably the most powerful non-super weapon in the game. However, unlike UT99, you can't use it as your primary weapon and you actually have to be a good shot. It's not a weapon you can easily master and shouldn't be.

How useful it is in TDM (or even DM), I'd imagine that seeing it's a SNIPER RIFLE (ie: something you snipe with) it's not all that useful. But for the rest of the game-types it's just fine. If the TDM community hates it, remove it from play.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSiN
                    How useful it is in TDM (or even DM), I'd imagine that seeing it's a SNIPER RIFLE (ie: something you snipe with) it's not all that useful. But for the rest of the game-types it's just fine. If the TDM community hates it, remove it from play.
                    i think this greatly depends on the map being played. For example on Morpheus, it fits perfectly. It is usually my primary kill weapon. The low grav and decent distance between the towers makes it ideal for sniping the unaware as they float about or try to get the high powerups...

the ROF always ****** me off..but it needs to be that way or it would be over powering..

Comment

Originally posted by Panama Jack
                      I agree, the background graphics is horrible with the blue player text. You have to click on the players to highlight them so you can read the names. They definately need to change that.
                      From 3203-

A big improvement, I'm sure you'll agree.

Comment

Thanks for that lil' preview, Shuri - that does look much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuri
                          From 3203-

A big improvement, I'm sure you'll agree.
                          Thanks for the preview. I was still worried that they wouldn't pick a blue color that was readable when they said they were lightening it.

Though from that picture they might also want to lighten the red color as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Panama Jack
                            Though from that picture they might also want to lighten the red color as well.
                            I think that's just from compression. I can't remember the red being that hard to read when I was in the server browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial
                              I'd been wondering if that was really what he was whining about.

Mr.Evil is correct, it is by design for balance reasons.
                              The longer switch time is one thing. It seems excessive compared to say the LG IMO. Whatever... But enforcing that long switch time on the classic sniper EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T FIRE IT (unlike any other gun) is what is inexplicable to most people and feels nothing short of a 'bug'.

You can camp with the LG or walk around with the redeemer and still switch quickly to the trans (or whatever else is needed). But the sniper is oh so 'powerful' (snicker) that you should have to wait a full second+ to switch to something else in the interests of some vague notion of 'balance'?!? Cmon, admit it: BUG!

Everyone thinks it's a bug and will continue to simply because there is no logical justification for this strange, uneven handling of weapon switch times. The sniper is powerful, yes, but the many disadvantages of the sniper are listed above... not to mention the (buggy?) virtually non-existent visual or audible hit feedback of the sniper (in comparison with LG). If it's just the stealthiness of the sniper that Epic thinks needs such radical 'balancing', then maybe Epic should rethink the stealthiness and use more noticeable bullet tracers or something, rather than stick with the bizarre 'balancing' techniques.

PS - I'm sure UTSecure was taken out of the patch for a good reason but it's really, really too bad. I hope one day it can be re-bundled with a future patch so that all servers install it by default. What's the point of the 'war on cheaters' when half of the servers don't have security measures.

Comment

Re: More patch changes (build 3203)

Originally posted by Mr Evil
                                Here are the changes since the last one, build 3200. You should be able to find the complete list be searching this forum.

I think a lot of people will be pleased about number four.

It's about time the vehicle+water thing was fixed, it's been like that since the Bulldog in UT2003.

I wonder what the 'improved team balancing' is...
                                How about these then?
                                Demorecording/playback-related:
                                1) nodes not showing up on map.
                                2) pov from vehicles and turrets not being recorded correctly (like if you zoom with twin-beam you get a nice sideview of the mountain wall for a minute or so).
                                3) the bigger map where you can teleport from surfaces each time you die or teleport, you have to constantly press escape or click X with the mouse.
                                4) fast moves like dodgejumps acts as lagspikes (as in zero smoothness) even though you're using a demotickrate of 60.
                                5) a demo not being abled to be played from outside ut2004 (as in you could doubleclick it so it starts ut2004 and plays the demo straight away).
                                6) positions you've picked from default like 1st person view and 3rd person view for different vehicles doesn't save. When you playback a demo you have to manually click between 3rd person and 1st person depending what the player does. Can't really pop a demo and watch it from bed.. .
                                7) If you've bound a key to record demos there is no message telling you that it started recording unlike when you manually type demorec each time in the console.
                                8) turrets (on goliath and stationary turrets) are removed entirely for some reason.

Other annoying things:
                                9) as soon as the ping reaches about 100 (which is hard to avoid when you play alot of other countries on a daily basis) fired shots are sometimes forgotten, you hear the shot but nothing happens.
                                10) netcode needs tweaking so that instanthit-weapons are instant-hit no matter how much it lags (there's a ping compensator-mutator out there, shouldn't be a mutator to fix an unfinished netcode).
                                11) tankshells/missiles are very often being fired straight through an opponent vehicle (due to buggy netcode?).
                                12) you can kill your own teammates by bailing from a vehicle and having it accidentily running over a teammate.
                                13) avrils have a problem with locking when either party is strafing the slightest and sometimes they go off like a 2 cent firework-rocket for absolutely no reason.
                                14) every single pubserver out there uses superweapons, dm/tdm/ctf/ons, noone really wants to play UT with superweapons so with this in mind make Superweapons on/off a serveroption with the default as off and not a mutator so the game can grow and not be laughed at as a noobgame where people camp a smartweapon that kills your entire screen.
                                15) and most importantly each time you play the game you have to get used to the latency quickly by adjusting how you predict players and compensate for the difference in ping. No matter if you play some games with 20-30 and then get 40-60 it's a huge difference in where you need to fire your weapon with "instant-hit"-weapons to actually hit. Anything up to 100 ping is unplayable. Please, check what iD did with QW and take some pointers, since you could actually play that game with 200-300 ping by just compensating . Now on 10mbit it get's very hard to know where to shoot or how to play if you're not used to that particular server.
                                This could be because some maps are not very well made in terms of fps/ping/r_speeds/bottleneck-issues.
                                16) footsteps are heard when you drive vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X