• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phetysh
    firefox forever :up:

Comment

Originally posted by nuclearfusion
      Love how the exact same thing can be done with Firefox with any of the 10 or so mouse gesture extensions and ten seconds worth of toolbar customization. ^^
      Love how its allready done in opera...

whatever... use what you desire... I havent tryed ff, but my good mate, whos realy into this minimalistic design stuff, tryed it, and warned me that it look uglyyy...! So, I'm satesfied with what I got... and I'l stick to it... at least for a while longer!

Comment

oh ****, i didnt read the poll info, it says which is "best" and why, i should have answered firefox, i thought it said which do you use:P i use ie because im lazy and havnt really migrated to firefox yet, but i do think its far better then IE

Comment

Originally posted by Mohlraax
          Since I see myself as the deffender of minimalism here on this board, I now show you why my choise is Opera...
          Minimalism rocks, you chould check out my Fluxbox desktop. I agree that Opera is the best for minimalism. Mouse gestures eliminate the need for that entire main toolbar. I haven't use it in ages, so I'm going to steal your idea and turn it off as well

What do you do about bookmarks? I wish I could do something to minimize the size of my sidebar, but it's just too darn handy. I already have the font size set to a minimum and I've tried making the bookmark names shorter so I can bring it far to the left, but it still takes up a big chunk of my screen.

Comment

Firefox pwns. Can't wait til 1.0 release!

Comment

Originally posted by nrvsreck
              You didn't b*tch at me for using Xnews! :cry:
              I don't know what the hell it is :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by DeathPenguin
                Minimalism rocks, you chould check out my Fluxbox desktop. I agree that Opera is the best for minimalism. Mouse gestures eliminate the need for that entire main toolbar. I haven't use it in ages, so I'm going to steal your idea and turn it off as well

What do you do about bookmarks? I wish I could do something to minimize the size of my sidebar, but it's just too darn handy. I already have the font size set to a minimum and I've tried making the bookmark names shorter so I can bring it far to the left, but it still takes up a big chunk of my screen.
                nice desk... good to see!

About bookmarks... first, delete all the preset bookmarks... guess you done that, now, whenever your adding bookmarks, make sure to give 'em "nicknames"!
                For instance, this, the atari board, "ab"... or for www.tothegame.com , "ttg"... that way, when you want to visit the site, use the gesture rightclick+mouse down, to open a new window, and type ab in the adressbar, and you go straight in here...!

Now, on the "hotlist" (the list with you bookmarks, to your left, or right) dissable all buttons except transfers, mail, and notes... or thats what I did, you keep the ones you use most... now, make the buttons "images only", and use "f4" to turn it on and off! ... and dont worry about thos bookmarks... look at the screenie, and you notice that "boomarks" is on the "file - edit - view" list!

Heres my hotlist:
                [screenshot]http://home.online.no/~maber3/hosting/opera_hotlist.jpg[/screenshot]

Also, set a default download location for you downloads... mine "D:/Downlaods/Opera", and dissable "open transfer window when starting transfers", now, you just right click on the links with your downloads, and chose "quick transfer", and it automaticly saves it to you default folder! If you want to know how the download is going, press "f4", and youll see it on the hotlist!

Its all about customization! Once your into every single feature of your browser... surfing the net is SO much more a pleasure! :up:

btw, I'm not saying this is NOT in firefox... but I dont use firefox, I use opera... so I can only help opera users... :bulb:

Comment

btw, I'm not saying this is NOT in firefox... but I dont use firefox, I use opera... so I can only help opera users... :bulb:
                  Yeah, it's all doable in firefox in pretty much the same ways. It's probably all preference, since they're so alike. But there's nothing that Firefox can't do with it's mass of extensions, and it's free to begin with. For me, that's a major :up:, and then there's Firefox's standards compliance. It's not perfect, but it's not even 1.0 yet. I found it pretty nifty how when you view the page info it tells you if it's rendering in standards compliance mode, or "quirks" mode, which presumably softens the IE factor.

EDIT: I'm using IE 5.2 Mac right now, cause Firefox and Safari only work on OSX and this crappy school iBook only has OS9

Comment

Originally posted by nuclearfusion
                    Yeah, it's all doable in firefox in pretty much the same ways. It's probably all preference, since they're so alike.
                    Conclution is... dont just sitt there with IE and think your satesfied... spend a little time getting to know firefox/opera, and youll soon discover a shtload of VERY usefull features you had no idea you needed!

Comment

Firefox pwns IE, 'nuff said.

Comment

Opera is truly the greatest browser every made.

In no particular order…

The mouse gestures
                        Tabbed browsing
                        Popup stopper
                        Mail Client
                        RSS
                        Chat
                        Customisation
                        Community

Maybe one day they will make an OS

Comment

opera all the way, IE for pages that opera can't open

Comment

For instance, this, the atari board, "ab"... or for www.tothegame.com , "ttg"... that way, when you want to visit the site, use the gesture rightclick+mouse down, to open a new window, and type ab in the adressbar, and you go straight in here...!
                            I tried that, but it insists on putting http:// in front of my abbreviated bookmark. like I tried to rename this forum to "ut" and enter that into the address bar, but it tried to go to http://ut/.

now, make the buttons "images only", and use "f4" to turn it on and off! ... and dont worry about thos bookmarks... look at the screenie, and you notice that "boomarks" is on the "file - edit - view" list!
                            Great suggestion! I'm also talking with someone in the Opera forums and he's making a miniaturization skin which will *everything* a lot more compact and also reduce/eliminate the two pixel minimum border Opera imposes between toolbars. I'll try to remember to post a link to it when it's done.

Opera 7.50B1 puts the web page's icon (The same one shown in the address bar) next to the bookmark, so many of my bookmarks won't even need a description. This will be of great use for reducing the size of my hotlist when I need it.

Also, set a default download location for you downloads... mine "D:/Downlaods/Opera", and dissable "open transfer window when starting transfers", now, you just right click on the links with your downloads, and chose "quick transfer", and it automaticly saves it to you default folder! If you want to know how the download is going, press "f4", and youll see it on the hotlist!
                            Yep, I use quick transfer almost all the time. However, I'm not quite sure how to stop the transfer manager from popping up.

One last dumb question: I accidently got rid of my main toolbar. How do i get it back? This happened to me once before and I think it there was something in the right-click menu that allowed me to bring it back, but I can't find that option in 7.50B1.

Comment

I'm with Opera. I moved from IE to Firefox, and absolutely loved Firefox. Then I got Opera, and it blew both IE and Firefox out of the water.

Comment

i used opera a long time but went to firefox.
                                the reasons i went to firefox with little regret.

opera isn't very stable in some situations. there where some sites that made it crash. i tred it on 3 different machines. certaintly a bufferoverflow or memory leak.

i have/had(still in 7.50) problems with it loading not all images when proxy is enabled.

same skin (breeze simplified) is available for both browsers

with tabbrowser preferences i could emulate the tabbrowsing of opera.

the rendering engine of firefox is more consistent.

no ad without paying.

dominspector

developers bar extension

what i still miss:
                                F12 quickproperties
                                opera is faster with smaller pages
                                the zoom funktion of opera is the best of all browsers.
                                i can emulate it with textzoom + a javascriptlet but it's not the same.

i'm testing now opera 7.50beta but some errors are still there since opera 7.0x that where not in opera 6.x.

if you are interested:
                                the zoom++ scriptlet: just but it in a favorit instead of a httplink.
                                for zoom-- factor=1/factor

javascript:factor=Math.sqrt(2); if(!window.scale) { scale=1; zW=[]; zH=[]; unitless=/^[0-9.]+$/; function r(N) { w=N.width; h=N.height; if (unitless.test(w)) zW.push([N,w]); if (unitless.test(h)) zH.push([N,h]); var C=N.childNodes,i; for (i=0;i<C.length;++i) r(C[i]); } r(document.body); } scale*=factor; for(i in zW) zW[i][0].width=zW[i][1]*scale; for(i in zH) zH[i][0].height = zH[i][1]*scale; [].v

Comment

Working...
                                X