Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You forgot Wolfenstein3D.

Comment

If you were around for the hayday of Doom/DoomII, I'd like to think that you'd agree with me in saying that no other FPS even comes close in terms of what that game meant to this genre. Basically, Doom INVENTED the genre. To all that remember the power/skill involved with the double-barrelled shotgun, I feel you.

Comment

Originally posted by Endaubs000
        If you were around for the hayday of Doom/DoomII, I'd like to think that you'd agree with me in saying that no other FPS even comes close in terms of what that game meant to this genre. Basically, Doom INVENTED the genre. To all that remember the power/skill involved with the double-barrelled shotgun, I feel you.
        Wolfenstein kinda invented the genre, Doom just resurfaced it. Hexen owned both games however. :P

Comment

Battle Engine Aquila for PS2. Technically it's a mech game, but meh. :up:

Comment

Descent 1 & 3

Comment

Half-Life is the best SP, but UT owns the whole catagory of FPS

Comment

Descent 1 & 3

What the hell?

Comment

Originally posted by meKilgore
                  What the hell?
                  They were DOS games. Probably long before you were born.

Comment

Descent 1 and 2 were DOS, 3 was Windows (and excellent I might add though I wouldnt call the series FPS).

Comment

I second Descent 1 and 3. Only the first was DOS only, Descent 3 is a proper windows application and runs fine on most systems under Windows XP. I still play it regularly online (when my joystick isn't on the fritz, this game tends to be murder on them). Single player is best on Descent 1 and 2, while multiplayer is best on Descent 3. Great fun, you guys should check it out. You can probably find it for less than $5.

(Joystick isn't required, you can use a mouse with flight sim style controls.)

Comment

People still play it online?!!

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but the edit button doesn't work. Yes, the series is different (and excellent, as Ghostgeek][ said) but it still a FPS. You shoot at stuff from the first person. Except in this game it's from a hovercraft/spacecraft... in mines.

Comment

Don't tell me about DOS games, I was playing stupid word games in LISP, in the early 80's and owned the Atari 2600 console. No way is Decent, any version, one of the best fps games of all time.

The only thing cool about descent was flying thru tunnels and upside down, but was not as cool as doom or even Duke Nukem!

Comment

They're all too good!!! Can't chooooossee!!!! :cry: :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by Walwi Makno
                                Sorry for the double post, but the edit button doesn't work. Yes, the series is different (and excellent, as Ghostgeek][ said) but it still a FPS. You shoot at stuff from the first person. Except in this game it's from a hovercraft/spacecraft... in mines.
                                I would call it a flight sim (although sci-fi). If Descent is a FPS, then you might as well include the Wing Commander series as well as Mechwarrior (also in the sim category for me).

Comment

Working...
                                X