Mass Transit and UT2k4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Transit and UT2k4

I originally posted the following 3 paragraphs (a subset of like a few more or something) in "Concept Corner", but I didn't think the topic would get the coverage I need for the number of points of view that I need to see why or why not I should worry about it....

I am currently working on an assult gunship (yep, even have *some* of the texturing glitches worked out ) but I am facing a delima. Everybody is wanting a "troop transport flying thingy" but no one has addressed the balance issue of such a craft. I've got a few more fundamental issues to resolve on my Assult Gunship before I start addressing an issue.

To the point, this issue is should I add 2-4 slots for passengers. Most people would initially say yeah! but the flip side is how much unbalancing of ONS/vCTF/etc would occur if the player could drop in potentially 6 guys anywhere they want in under 2 minutes or so? Sure, they are leaving something unprotected, but 6 men added on need to any spot on the map WOULD and WILL make a huge difference in any battle underway at that spot.

I am unsure how strong the foundation is for the mass deployment on demand balance problem(?) could turn out to be, but it would present a problem of balance none the less. Would rear vehicles be abandoned since everyone can get there faster by air? How could a map designer counter such an ability?

I think it depends on the combat abilitys of the gunship. If it can be taken down by a couple of avrils, a turre(n)t or a raptor, I don't see a big problem here. Just make sure it is not a flying Levi...

And as long as both teams have one in their base, both have the same chance.

Basically I like the idea and I'm looking forward to play-test your gunship.

Comment

That percieved imbalance would be partly alleviated by the fact that a bunch of players are concentrated in the same place during transport. While they are flying, they are not doing anything useful somewhere else on the map.

Plus, if someone destroys the transport, you have a bunch of dead losers! :haha:

Seriously, this is a bit like fully loading a Leviathan: it is almost unstoppable, but 5 players are occupied there and can't do anything else, which will cripple a smaller team.

Comment

Slick idea, post it when done please

Comment

Originally posted by PostDoc
          I think it depends on the combat abilitys of the gunship. If it can be taken down by a couple of avrils, a turre(n)t or a raptor, I don't see a big problem here. Just make sure it is not a flying Levi...

And as long as both teams have one in their base, both have the same chance.

Basically I like the idea and I'm looking forward to play-test your gunship.
          It's turret, trust me - the WWII fanatics made me see the error in my spelling:

http://dict.die.net/turret/

At one time I found the definition of turrent as a French soup pot or something...

Anyways the level playing field, etc ideas do stick out as well as the 7 men here leave something uncovered...

I'll push forth on the adding passenger slot concept. If I can get a passenger, that would be cool. If I can get a shooting passenger, that would be more than cool.

Comment

maybe you should just load it up w/ armor, and not give it any weapons. that way it would be used only for transporting. also i wouldnt make it any faster than a hellbender.

Comment

I think 1 or 2 of the passengers should be able to control a sort of minigun turret, but less powerful/less ROF/limited turret view.

I suggest scorpion speed at least, as to fit that many people, it would end up a BIG target.

On that note i think the pilot should be able to activate a shield like the shield gun (could lead to some nice reflected shock kills )

Sounds very nice i hope to see this ship soon.

Comment

Working...
              X