Most Efficient Way To Link-Up in ONS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Efficient Way To Link-Up in ONS

I just had a question about linking up for repair/attack.
    Which of the following Link Gun links is the most efficient?

(each zero is a player)
    Code:
    Daisy Chain Setup...

^
    |
    |
    |

Hub Setup...

^
       |
    0--0--0

I've noticed lately, that the Hub Setup feels faster when building nodes, but I'd like to get a more definitive answer.

^^^^^^

always wondered the same! great question m8!:up:

Comment

when i am building and someone links to me i see the 1x modifier, when someone links to the person linking me i see the 2x modifier, but when someone links to me after someone else has already linked to me i don't see the 2x modifier.

Comment

Re: Most Efficient Way To Link-Up in ONS

Originally posted by CavernTan

Code:
        Daisy Chain Setup...

^
        |
        |
        |
        You should try this on ONS on a small map.. while shooting at a tank.. like that one map Primal or whatever... this is actually quite effective...

Comment

Either or gives 2 x link so it doesnt matter really

Comment

Actually a friend of mine and I were discussing this one. In the Daisy-Chain setup you'll note that if you're someone in the middle of the setup your link energy doesn't drain as long as the people in back of you still have energy. In addition you have only a (1)( ) modifier at both the front and the middle of the chain. When you're going about Hub style the energy of everyone linking to the one person in the front is being depleated and the person in the front will see a (1)( ), or a (2)( ), or a (3)(), etc depending on how many are linking to them. Theorhectically if your energy is being depleated in the Hub mode and not in the Daisy-Chain mode, then more energy is being pumped into the guy in the front.

However, I haven't timed the amount of time it takes in Daisy-Chain versus Hub style by seeing how long it takes to either damage or build (the best way to test would to time how long it takes to destroy a PowerCore since it takes longer than a couple of seconds when linked as opposed to a node or a vehicle).

Comment

note to n00bs, dont link like so:

/ \
              0_0

Comment

Re: Re: Most Efficient Way To Link-Up in ONS

Originally posted by DeathGoth
                You should try this on ONS on a small map.. while shooting at a tank.. like that one map Primal or whatever... this is actually quite effective...
                So, you cluster next to a tank firing at something that can...

A) Turn around and fire a shell to blow you all to bits, which, in all likeliness, is going to happen. People love multikills

Or...

B) Explode and send its charring chassis (clever, eh?) flying everywhere?

I don't know, I prefer long range weapons to sort of nibble at it, or suicide runs. Suicide runs are insanely effective, with practice.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Most Efficient Way To Link-Up in ONS

Originally posted by KillerDude
                  I don't know, I prefer long range weapons to sort of nibble at it, or suicide runs. Suicide runs are insanely effective, with practice.
                  That's why the person in the front uses the primary fire (you still seem to get the link-up bonus).

Comment

Bonus is the same on the link setups, because the people in the middle are gtting boosted in the chain it means that you can have more and more spacing between people as the chain aproches the front (odds are you'd never need this much anyways).

I find it's best to just link to whoevers closer and waetaher it forms the 'chain' the 'hub' or the 'breancy tree' i dont care.

Comment

You have to consider the strategic advatanges also. If I'm in a manta and I see a chain instead of a hub I'll just try to kill the guy right behind the charger, rendering the entire link up null and void.

Example: <><><> X <>

In that example all the other team has to do is kill the second guy. However in a hub setup you can lose one guy and still sustain what is left of the chain

Example:.....<>...<>..<> X
                      ..................|.....|....|
                      ...................\....|.../
                      .....................\..|../
                      .......................<>

In the last example you can lose one person and still have 3 charging him. Which means the overall linkup is more stable, and if one person wants to jump out of the chain to go 1v1 with someone then the entire chain doesn't lose out either.

Comment

Originally posted by

In the last example you can lose one person and still have 3 charging him. Which means the overall linkup is more stable, and if one person wants to jump out of the chain to go 1v1 with someone then the entire chain doesn't lose out either. [/B]
                        Hmm, very good points. Actually, now that I think about it, the Hub setup was substantially faster than the Daisy-Chain style. I just never noticed the difference since most people use the D-C.

Comment

Each link gives 2.5x damage, right? Logically, the chain would multiply the 2.5s (i.e. 2 links = 6.25x damage) while the hub would add (i.e. 2 links would do 5x damage. That's just my thought, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbidity
                            Each link gives 2.5x damage, right? Logically, the chain would multiply the 2.5s (i.e. 2 links = 6.25x damage) while the hub would add (i.e. 2 links would do 5x damage. That's just my thought, though.
                            Where does it say that though?

Comment

Originally posted by CavernTan
                              Hmm, very good points. Actually, not that I think about it, the Hub setup was substantially faster than the Daisy-Chain style. I just never noticed the difference since most people use the D-C.
                              Lol, I'm the exact opposite. Honestly to me, it feels like the daisy chain works faster.. but all I ever see are peope doing the hub.

Comment

Working...
                              X