Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Most Efficient Way To Link-Up in ONS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so if u linked up alot of epople could you get a 1 kill hit lol

Comment

If this is correct :

If you link to a guy you increase his firepower with 1.5

Then I think the hub formula with 3 players is :

1 + 1 + 1.5 * 1.5 * 1 = 4.25

The solution from abc :

1 + 1.5*(1+1) = 4

gives the extra power to the guys further in the chain (P1 and P2) and is not consistent with his first calculation.

What is the right assumption :

(1) If you link to a guy you increase his firepower with 1.5

or

(2) If you link to a guy you increase your own firepower with 1.5

I would so (1) but I duno

If (2) is true then there is no difference between a daisy and a hub and something tells me there is

This is a visual of the setup :

Code:
      P1    P2
      \        /
       \      /
          P3

Comment

Originally posted by omegaFanta
        If this is correct :

Then I think the hub formula with 3 players is :

1 + 1 + 1.5 * 1.5 * 1 = 4.25

The solution from abc :

1 + 1.5*(1+1) = 4

gives the extra power to the guys further in the chain (P1 and P2) and is not consistent with his first calculation.

What is the right assumption :

(1) If you link to a guy you increase his firepower with 1.5

or

(2) If you link to a guy you increase your own firepower with 1.5

I would so (1) but I duno

If (2) is true then there is no difference between a daisy and a hub and something tells me there is

This is a visual of the setup :

Code:
        P1    P2
        \        /
         \      /
            P3
        My hub formula is consistent with my 1st calculation, because I guessed that every link power you received is multiplied by 1.5.

You received 1 link : -> adds 1*1.5 -> final power : 1 + 1.5 = 2.5
        You received 2 links : -> adds 2*1.5 -> final power : 1 + 3 = 4

This is only a guess but all my formulas has the same logic behind.

Comment

doesnt matter, but 3 people is max power you can get...

what I mean is node will build fast when 3 people link up...and 1 person links the node rather than 4 people linking together...

Comment

assumption (abcde) :
            every link power you received is multiplied by 1.5.
            rephrased
            If you link to a guy you increase your own firepower with 1.5

assumption (fanta) :

DAISY :

You have to take the *order* into account. Where do you start with your calculations?

P3 -> P2 -> P1

if I evaluate from right to left then : (P1P2)P3

(abcde) (1 + 1.5 * 1) + 1 * 1.5 = 4

(fanta) ( 1.5 * 1 + 1 ) * 1.5 + 1 = 4.75

OR if I evaluate from left to right then : (P3P2)P1

(abcde) ( 1 * 1.5 + 1 ) * 1.5 + 1 = 4.75

(fanta) ( 1 + 1.5 * 1 ) + 1 * 1.5 = 4

So I think our assumptios were incomplete in that we didn't mention a direction.

I think you have to evaluate from right to left cause I think its natural that you boost the person you link to. The other way could of course be possible too.

Only testing will clarify how they programmed it.

HUB

Code:
               P1
              ^ ^
             /  \
            /    \
            P2   P3
            (abcde) 1.5 + 1.5 + 1 = 4

(fanta) 1 * 1.5 * 1.5 + 1 + 1 = 4.25

A direction isnt of importance here cause that would break the symmetry in this setup.

Here our assumptions are sufficient but only tests will show who is right.

Comment

BTW I took your factor 1.5 for granted.

A simple test will point out what the factor is but the general thinking would probably be the same.

Now I have to find 2 players with time

Comment

Originally posted by omegaFanta
                assumption (abcde) :
                every link power you received is multiplied by 1.5.
                rephrased
                If you link to a guy you increase your own firepower with 1.5

assumption (fanta) :

DAISY :

You have to take the *order* into account. Where do you start with your calculations?

P3 -> P2 -> P1

if I evaluate from right to left then : (P1P2)P3

(abcde) (1 + 1.5 * 1) + 1 * 1.5 = 4

(fanta) ( 1.5 * 1 + 1 ) * 1.5 + 1 = 4.75

OR if I evaluate from left to right then : (P3P2)P1

(abcde) ( 1 * 1.5 + 1 ) * 1.5 + 1 = 4.75

(fanta) ( 1 + 1.5 * 1 ) + 1 * 1.5 = 4

So I think our assumptios were incomplete in that we didn't mention a direction.

I think you have to evaluate from right to left cause I think its natural that you boost the person you link to. The other way could of course be possible too.

Only testing will clarify how they programmed it.

HUB

Code:
                   P1
                  ^ ^
                 /  \
                /    \
                P2   P3
                (abcde) 1.5 + 1.5 + 1 = 4

(fanta) 1 * 1.5 * 1.5 + 1 + 1 = 4.25

A direction isnt of importance here cause that would break the symmetry in this setup.

Here our assumptions are sufficient but only tests will show who is right.
                Yes, both ways are possible answers.

To generalize my calculations :

my_link_power = my_link_power + increase_factor * (sum_of_all_link_powers_connected_to_me)

> my_link_power = 1
                > increase_factor = 1.5

I personnally prefer the "direction left to right", because it would mean that : as 2 chained links are more powerful (@ building nodes for example) than 2 separate links, 2 chained links give more power to another link than 2 separate links ; there's somewhat a recursive logic behind this.

But you're right, we have to test...

Comment

CavernTan and I were thinking about testing it this weekend on a listen server along with my room mate. However, hold your own private tests if you want a conclusion faster.

Now nodes don't require a particularly high amount of energy to charge/destroy when linked so timing it may be more errant than other things. Might I suggest destruction of something like an enemy PowerCore as it has enough health to easily test it on and it has a digital damage meter on it. To make sure everything is accurate, get everyone to have full link ammo before starting the test and have the people linking link prior to the main person (the one who's actually contacting the enemy PowerCore) actually firing (in theory if everyone has full ammo it shouldn't drain energy if people link prior to the main person firing, just like when you try to repair a vehicle and it reaches full status before you run out of energy). In addition, have the person firing be the person timing the amount of time it takes and how much damage is dealt within that time (hence a rough damage per second estimate can be made)

Comment

Wonder how fast you could charge levi if you have 32 people linked together. I really want to try that, just imagine the dmg, you would do more then levi with each shot.

Comment

That's why it's dangerous to attack linked combantants while on foot. It's happened before and I was the person holding the nozzle of that energy hose. ^_^

Comment

Good thread! :up:

Instead of discussing theoretical factors and formulas, why doesn't anyone hop on a server with 2 friends and a stopwatch!? :bulb:

I'd do it, but I'm at work.

BTW ... to heal/repair as fast as possible is one aspect. Saving ammo is an other one. While charging a node or repairing a tank you often run out of ammo for the link gun and there's not always a weapon locker nearby, so finding out the method that consumes least amo might also be worth looking into.

Comment

As I said before, I am confident that the HUB method is best.

If you read my previous post the damage multiplier is as follows:

M = 1 + ( L * 1.5 )

Where L = the number of links, and M is the damage multiplier.

The "power" coming from the links is not taken into account - only the number of links.

Therefore a chain like this:

A ---> B ---> C ---> D

A's multiplaier would be = 1
                          B, C, and D's multiplier would be = 2.5 (each of them have 1 link)

If A, B, and C all pointed to player D, then D would have a multiplier of ... 1 + ( 3 * 1.5 ) = 5.5

I will conclusively prove this tonight if I can bully enough people onto my server tonight.

I also remember reading that there is no longer a maximum maximum number of links to one person. Something else worth testing.

Comment

But, the people at the back of the chain who weren't cut out are still linked and could easily shoot your manta down with 2/3x link primary shots... :up:

Originally posted by
                            You have to consider the strategic advatanges also. If I'm in a manta and I see a chain instead of a hub I'll just try to kill the guy right behind the charger, rendering the entire link up null and void.

Example: <><><> X <>

In that example all the other team has to do is kill the second guy. However in a hub setup you can lose one guy and still sustain what is left of the chain

Comment

Interesting thread.
                              From what I can tell from the code it shouldn't matter at all. Every next linkgun gets charged by the current linkgun's links plus that linkgun itself.
                              The correct formula (to my surprise, it was different in UT2k3) is indeed 1+1.5*Links
                              And since the amount of links is transferred throughout the chain both setups should have the exact same result.

The formula back in UT2k3 was different, back there it was 1.5+1.5*Links, which meant that 0-->0 0-->0 could do exactly the same damage as 0-->0-->0-->0, which was actually pretty silly.

Comment

From what I can tell from the code it shouldn't matter at all
                                Can you get access to the code and were do you get it ?
                                I didn't know this !

If I contrast the old vs the new :

0-->0 0-->0

new ( 1 + 1.5 ) * 2 = 5
                                old ( 1.5 + 1.5 ) * 2 = 6

0-->0-->0-->0

new 1 + 3 * 1.5 = 5.5
                                old 1.5 + 1.5 * 3 = 6

Is this correct Boksha ?

Comment

Working...
                                X