• Jungle Warfare

Popular mods
    • Frag.Ops
    • SAS : Into the Lion's Den
    • Red Orchestra
    • Troopers: Rise of the Rebellion
    • Domain 2049
    • UT2k3 Assault

They also made a little review of the first 5 mods which you can find it here: http://unreal.boomtown.net/en_uk/art...ew.php?id=4307

The last 6 mods are here: http://unreal.boomtown.net/en_uk/art...ew.php?id=4669

When the MSUC contest was launched, i was obviously under the misguided beleif that they would reward the BEST mods for the efforts put into them. And surely a good mod is going to be the one with players?

By far Red orchestra, Frag Ops and SAS have been the most popular mods, with Deathball creeping in at times... So one would assume that these would be the mods to reward... Mods that have been made to appeal to the community, made by mod teams that have put time and effort and money into getting servers for the community to play on... Mods that have made the effort of making multiple releases despite the saddeningly small player base for UT2003.... Mods that have been succesfull have largely been succesfull because of huge amounts effort and time into them... And they loose out at getting the recognition they deserve to mods that have a more original concept.... Well ok, it would have taken me maybe a couple days to think of an original concept, if i had been project leader of SAS, and change it to that, and then (had SAS entered this joke of a contest) the last 14 months of my life that i had spent on this project would not go completely to waste.. But no, SAS was made as it was, because we actually wanted people to play it.

Sorry for the rant, its been that kinda day....

Comment

sadly no mention of air buccaneers...a mod that's probably the most origional I've ever played
      http://ludocraft.oulu.fi/airbuccaneers/

Comment

Originally posted by JackReacher
        By far Red orchestra, Frag Ops and SAS have been the most popular mods, with Deathball creeping in at times...
        I might be wrong, but at the time of the MSU phase 1 none of the socalled popular mods was released, so your rant is a bit off isn't it?

and just because it's popular, it does not automaticly make it good

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit
          I might be wrong, but at the time of the MSU phase 1 none of the socalled popular mods was released, so your rant is a bit off isn't it?

Possibly, but no doubt the same thing will be shown in phase 2 results.

and just because it's popular, it does not automaticly make it good
          Im afraid with games, it does. Why would players pick the worst mod?

Comment

Originally posted by JackReacher

Im afraid with games, it does. Why would players pick the worst mod?
            because ppl doesn't like changes they wan't what they know, no more no less, but they will ofcause always whine about the lack of weapons etc.

I would imagine that if you look at a mod to judge it, other things than popularity is important, like the talent of the artist, the ideas to enhance the game experiance, creativity in mapping, gametypes, models etc. I also would think that a mod or a TC should not be mainstream games, the competetion is far to big there, but those that dare make something different, and thing in otherways than just another firstperson shooter, they will proberly be the ones that takes the prize

Comment

Originally posted by PointlesS
              sadly no mention of air buccaneers...a mod that's probably the most origional I've ever played
              http://ludocraft.oulu.fi/airbuccaneers/
              Yes Air Buccaneers, the mod that made 2k3 worth my money. Sadly it is probably too original for most of the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit
                because ppl doesn't like changes they wan't what they know, no more no less, but they will ofcause always whine about the lack of weapons etc.

I would imagine that if you look at a mod to judge it, other things than popularity is important, like the talent of the artist, the ideas to enhance the game experiance, creativity in mapping, gametypes, models etc. I also would think that a mod or a TC should not be mainstream games, the competetion is far to big there, but those that dare make something different, and thing in otherways than just another firstperson shooter, they will proberly be the ones that takes the prize
                So effectively, mods that try to appeal to the masses are penalised.... right.

Comment

Working...
                X