No announcement yet.

Do pros use...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many have pointed out already that hitsounds enable players to more easily do a bit of math in their head and figure out when to pull out the minigun to mop someone up who is low on health. What many of you are missing is that this is a skill to be added to the already fairly deep skillset required to be good at this game.

By adding the hitsounds you remove the random dropped scream/grunt painsound from mucking up these internal calculations going on in the players' heads. Everyone saying "such and such makes the game more competitive" sound like morons because that's not a good way to explain why whatever it is is a good thing for competitive play. Here's how you explain it:

Anything that makes all possible knowledge of the ingame status extremely clear to all parties in the game allows the highly skilled players to be able to recognize differences in skillsets and utilize them to their benefit.

In other words: All game situations should be made shockingly clear to all players so that they can clearly see what their opponents are doing and what strategies they are employing so that they can adapt quickly and effortlessly, which in turn causes their opponent to do the same, and so on and so on (thus making things "more competitive" as everyone keeps saying and leaving it at that).

Examples of things that get in the way of players knowing what is going on in their surroundings are: bad map lighting, 80 different player models (all with different skins, animations, and pain sounds), and poor contrast between player textures and map textures in general. These things are combatted by using skins that contrast in not only color but lighting, forcing models to all one standard model and pain sound, and notifying players when and how much damage was dealt by ever shot they connect with.

Unfortunately the way games (at least FPSs) are designed now, the paths of how to proceed are split in two:

1) One way seeks to emmerse players in a virtual combat world where the only thing that tells you you are playing a video game is the fact you are looking at a 2D display and moving a mouse around. This is where realism games have gone, and are still going. They are very popular because since Intellivision came out in the 80's, better graphics has ALWAYS sold more video games.

2) And the other way wants to streamline three dementional combat so much that it no longer resembles real life at all, but rather a virtual sports arena where competitive play thrives. We don't have this done yet because as I pointed out above: better graphics sell video games. Think of it like this:

Do you ever see Football (American or otherwise) played with half the field in the dark? Half the field on concrete? All the players on one team wearing a different shade of Red? Touchdowns scoring a random amount between 1 and 7? Yes, it's an extreme analogy, but I think the point does make sense: competitive players actually WANT the game to feel more like they are playing a sport than actually running around in the future shooting blobs of acid at human beings... they apparently just don't know that that is why they like hitsounds and brightskins, I guess.

But on a final note: I think hitsounds should be in simply because the damned tracer on the minigun is misleading... especially if you have a > 100 ping. So there.

Comment

Originally posted by Essobie
      Many have pointed out already that hitsounds enable players to more easily do a bit of math in their head and figure out when to pull out the minigun to mop someone up who is low on health. What many of you are missing is that this is a skill to be added to the already fairly deep skillset required to be good at this game.

By adding the hitsounds you remove the random dropped scream/grunt painsound from mucking up these internal calculations going on in the players' heads. Everyone saying "such and such makes the game more competitive" sound like morons because that's not a good way to explain why whatever it is is a good thing for competitive play. Here's how you explain it:

Anything that makes all possible knowledge of the ingame status extremely clear to all parties in the game allows the highly skilled players to be able to recognize differences in skillsets and utilize them to their benefit.

In other words: All game situations should be made shockingly clear to all players so that they can clearly see what their opponents are doing and what strategies they are employing so that they can adapt quickly and effortlessly, which in turn causes their opponent to do the same, and so on and so on (thus making things "more competitive" as everyone keeps saying and leaving it at that).

Examples of things that get in the way of players knowing what is going on in their surroundings are: bad map lighting, 80 different player models (all with different skins, animations, and pain sounds), and poor contrast between player textures and map textures in general. These things are combatted by using skins that contrast in not only color but lighting, forcing models to all one standard model and pain sound, and notifying players when and how much damage was dealt by ever shot they connect with.

Unfortunately the way games (at least FPSs) are designed now, the paths of how to proceed are split in two:

1) One way seeks to emmerse players in a virtual combat world where the only thing that tells you you are playing a video game is the fact you are looking at a 2D display and moving a mouse around. This is where realism games have gone, and are still going. They are very popular because since Intellivision came out in the 80's, better graphics has ALWAYS sold more video games.

2) And the other way wants to streamline three dementional combat so much that it no longer resembles real life at all, but rather a virtual sports arena where competitive play thrives. We don't have this done yet because as I pointed out above: better graphics sell video games. Think of it like this:

Do you ever see Football (American or otherwise) played with half the field in the dark? Half the field on concrete? All the players on one team wearing a different shade of Red? Touchdowns scoring a random amount between 1 and 7? Yes, it's an extreme analogy, but I think the point does make sense: competitive players actually WANT the game to feel more like they are playing a sport than actually running around in the future shooting blobs of acid at human beings... they apparently just don't know that that is why they like hitsounds and brightskins, I guess.

But on a final note: I think hitsounds should be in simply because the damned tracer on the minigun is misleading... especially if you have a > 100 ping. So there.
      Good post, I find that hard to disagree with.

Comment

Working...
      X