In-Game Winamp support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prisoner1138
    just because an END USER can use winamp for free, does not mean that a company can integrate it into their software for free.
    That's correct.

Good job I'm not suggesting they integrate it then, huh?

The ability for the game to mute winamp when VoIP conversations are happening, and/or make winamp move to the next/last track... all the little functions like that can be used in UT without needing any licensing or integration or any **** like that.

No mixing of code, nothing..

Just a few calls to winamp through the DDE interface. Something which is common to all versions of windows.

mIRC plugins use it quite a lot. It can all be wrapped into a single file.

Anyone got any valid points yet?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatFoo
      That's correct.

The ability for the game to mute winamp when VoIP conversations are happening, and/or make winamp move to the next/last track... all the little functions like that can be used in UT without needing any licensing or integration or any **** like that.

Just a few calls to winamp through the DDE interface. Something which is common to all versions of windows.

Maybe you are right and Epic people are wrong, but it doesn't matter because they'll stick to their own agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalNoob
        Maybe you are right and Epic people are wrong, but it doesn't matter because they'll stick to their own agenda.
        That's very true.

Comment

I thought the same thing, until I tried voice chat and discovered my music was muffling the speech.
          In-game player mutes when speech is active. This is all I really want from winamp support.
          All you really need to do is adjust the VOIP volume so that you can hear it while music is playing. That's what I did, and I actually prefer it that way because I don't like having my music interrupted.

But if you want the feature, I think there is a relatively easy way to add it.

Code:
          on VOIP start press X key combination; on VOIP end press X key combination
          Where 'X key combination' is the global hotkey associated with pause, or mute if you prefer, in Winamp. Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about coding, but I think something like this would work as an alias added to your UT2004 file.

Comment

That's very true.
            It's good to poke them a bit once in a while. Might get you banned from the forums, but it might also make them do something that'll benefit a large protion of the community...

Comment

I use one of these

to control the media player of my choise in game when I want music.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe
                All you really need to do is adjust the VOIP volume so that you can hear it while music is playing. That's what I did, and I actually prefer it that way because I don't like having my music interrupted.

But if you want the feature, I think there is a relatively easy way to add it.

Code:
                on VOIP start press X key combination; on VOIP end press X key combination
                Where 'X key combination' is the global hotkey associated with pause, or mute if you prefer, in Winamp. Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about coding, but I think something like this would work as an alias added to your UT2004 file.
                Woah. If this works, I completely eat my words.

So I add this to the alias' section of my ini file, and in winamp set up a key combination to mute the music...

I thought alias' had to be bound to keys?

Anyway, I'm gonna go try it. Ingenious.

Comment

The builtin OGG player is good as it is
                  it can play both OGG (DUH!!) and MP3 (dunno about WMV's tho)

Comment

That's correct.

so then why did you post simply to make the obvious statement that winamp is free, like we all didnt know this already?

Comment

That's EXACTLY what you suggested in your first post. If you're going be 'Master Debator' you're going to have to learn not to change your positon in the middle of a 'debate.'

Woah. If this works, I completely eat my words.

So I add this to the alias' section of my ini file, and in winamp set up a key combination to mute the music...

I thought alias' had to be bound to keys?

Anyway, I'm gonna go try it. Ingenious
                      I doubt it will, since I have no idea what the actual command would be. Someone who knows more about it than I do would be able to get something like that to work easily, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by xQx
                        I use one of these

to control the media player of my choise in game when I want music.
                        You and I both know that's got nothing to do with VoIP muting, Q

Comment

That's EXACTLY what you suggested in your first post. If you're going be 'Master Debator' you're going to have to learn not to change your positon in the middle of a 'debate.'
                          Wrong. Quote from first post:

I've suggested this briefly before now, but wouldn't it be great if the game could interface with winamp, instead of just having its own built-in music player.
                          Dont drag this off into irrelevent squabbling. Even on a matter of semantecs, you dont have a case.

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner1138
                            so then why did you post simply to make the obvious statement that winamp is free, like we all didnt know this already?
                            Because it's free to the end user. Meaning if epic supported it they arent showing support for a particular commercial product.... and gamers wouldn't have to pay for winamp.

What's not clear.

Comment

You and I both know that's got nothing to do with VoIP muting, Q
                              true but it does let me use my own playlists skip tracks/pause etc while in game. Also lets me use a player that takes advantage of the full features of my sound card.

Comment

I doubt it will, since I have no idea what the actual command would be. Someone who knows more about it than I do would be able to get something like that to work easily, I think.
                                After looking at it for a few more seconds, your suggested versions means I'd have to press a key when someone else sent a VoIP transfer to me.

Unfortunately, I was looking for something automatic. Your idea WOULD work if there was some 'onVoipStart' and 'onVoipEnd' actions available in the ini files

Comment

Working...
                                X