X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by TheGreatFoo
    That's very true.
    It's good to poke them a bit once in a while. Might get you banned from the forums, but it might also make them do something that'll benefit a large protion of the community...

Leave a comment:

• replied

I thought the same thing, until I tried voice chat and discovered my music was muffling the speech.
    In-game player mutes when speech is active. This is all I really want from winamp support.
    All you really need to do is adjust the VOIP volume so that you can hear it while music is playing. That's what I did, and I actually prefer it that way because I don't like having my music interrupted.

But if you want the feature, I think there is a relatively easy way to add it.

Code:
    on VOIP start press X key combination; on VOIP end press X key combination
    Where 'X key combination' is the global hotkey associated with pause, or mute if you prefer, in Winamp. Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about coding, but I think something like this would work as an alias added to your UT2004 file.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by EternalNoob
    Maybe you are right and Epic people are wrong, but it doesn't matter because they'll stick to their own agenda.
    That's very true.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's correct.

Good job I'm not suggesting they integrate it then, huh?

The ability for the game to mute winamp when VoIP conversations are happening, and/or make winamp move to the next/last track... all the little functions like that can be used in UT without needing any licensing or integration or any **** like that.

No mixing of code, nothing..

Just a few calls to winamp through the DDE interface. Something which is common to all versions of windows.

mIRC plugins use it quite a lot. It can all be wrapped into a single file.

Anyone got any valid points yet?
    Maybe you are right and Epic people are wrong, but it doesn't matter because they'll stick to their own agenda.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Prisoner1138
    just because an END USER can use winamp for free, does not mean that a company can integrate it into their software for free.
    That's correct.

Good job I'm not suggesting they integrate it then, huh?

The ability for the game to mute winamp when VoIP conversations are happening, and/or make winamp move to the next/last track... all the little functions like that can be used in UT without needing any licensing or integration or any **** like that.

No mixing of code, nothing..

Just a few calls to winamp through the DDE interface. Something which is common to all versions of windows.

mIRC plugins use it quite a lot. It can all be wrapped into a single file.

Anyone got any valid points yet?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    just because an END USER can use winamp for free, does not mean that a company can integrate it into their software for free.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by moppel
    By importing 3rd party software, you also import their exploits. Winamp is not secure. Therefore: NO
    Read my above post. You've lost the plot here.

I'm not talking about importing winamp into UT. I'm talking about UT simply being able to turn down the volume on winamp when VoIP is active, IF winamp is loaded.

This isn't rocket science people. Nor does it affect any other part of the game in terms of secirity or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jefe
    Epic adding support for someone else's brand of media player is only going to cost more money in the form of licensing, which you can be certain would be passed down to end users. UT comes with basic media functions, which should fulfill the needs of most people. Sure, it's not nearly as refined a stand-alone player and has some problems, but it gets the job done.
    Winamp. Is. Free.

Now hopefully you actually read my previous post. There isn't a need for 'support' when you can run Winamp in the background and control just about every function without minimizing UT.
    I thought the same thing, until I tried voice chat and discovered my music was muffling the speech.
    In-game player mutes when speech is active. This is all I really want from winamp support.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good point. I could just imagine programs like UTsecure having to be updated everytime there's a bugfix for Winamp. :bulb:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    By importing 3rd party software, you also import their exploits. Winamp is not secure. Therefore: NO

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For a start, all my playlists and in general all my music management is already set up in winamp. I've got hundreds of playlists, and having to make a new playlist inside UT seems like repeating the same task twice.... I dont see a good reason why Epic shouldn't make use of someone elses 3rd party program for music integration.

Aside from playlists, there's the equaliser and DSP functions, and Library. UT is never going to have these in its built-in player, so why not just link the game up to winamp and concentrate on making the game?

I'm seeing 9Mb and less than 1% processor usage when playing mp3s on my copy of winamp. Doesn't seem like a resource hog to me, at all.

I've just listed the reasons above.

No ****. Well, that would work with winamp support, for a start.

Better than that, with winamp support, music would be continuous between loadings.

So you see, there are good reasons why including support might be desirable.

But the basic point is that you may as well offer this option to people who want it. It's NOT a lot of work, just a bit of DDE or OLE messing, I would wager. Leave issues like resource usage and what benefits you might get from it up to the people who want to use it.
    Epic adding support for someone else's brand of media player is only going to cost more money in the form of licensing, which you can be certain would be passed down to end users. UT comes with basic media functions, which should fulfill the needs of most people. Sure, it's not nearly as refined a stand-alone player and has some problems, but it gets the job done.

Now hopefully you actually read my previous post. There isn't a need for 'support' when you can run Winamp in the background and control just about every function without minimizing UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Prisoner1138
    yea, i hear ya. i may not have a single bleeding edge technology computer, but i have plenty of power in 1 box to play games, i can browse the net from most rooms in the house, play plenty of games anywhere i want, watch videos, dvds, listen to music, whatever in any room with a tv. i can do without ut2k4 having winamp support(wtf, wouldnt it make more sense just to improve the mp3 player it comes with?), and i dont even care about ut2k4 playing my mp3's in the first place.
    Yeah, a lot of games I play, you don't want music at all, gotta hear something besides beats when you're scanning the skies for planes, or have to hear those footsteps..

Dicky B, when I'm playing ONS though, music on or off is fine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dicky B
    If I want music while I play, I use computer #5. It's the one with the full-room speaker setup, can use WinAmp, play shoutcast streams and all that. Plus, the mute button is an easy reach from here.

Dicky B, my gaming rig isn't top drawer, but I have more computing power in this room than most of you single-rig types.

ps-everyone has a computer more powerful than all of NASA's computers put together up until at least 1980.. Think about that, and how you're wasting it.
    yea, i hear ya. i may not have a single bleeding edge technology computer, but i have plenty of power in 1 box to play games, i can browse the net from most rooms in the house, play plenty of games anywhere i want, watch videos, dvds, listen to music, whatever in any room with a tv. i can do without ut2k4 having winamp support(wtf, wouldnt it make more sense just to improve the mp3 player it comes with?), and i dont even care about ut2k4 playing my mp3's in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If I want music while I play, I use computer #5. It's the one with the full-room speaker setup, can use WinAmp, play shoutcast streams and all that. Plus, the mute button is an easy reach from here.

Dicky B, my gaming rig isn't top drawer, but I have more computing power in this room than most of you single-rig types.

ps-everyone has a computer more powerful than all of NASA's computers put together up until at least 1980.. Think about that, and how you're wasting it.

[Edit: Finally sig'd my specs, like anyone cares]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MF-BoltressHL2
    What kind of features would you like the music player to have in UT? Do you want a visualizer or something? Your playing a game not attending a rock concert.
    For a start, all my playlists and in general all my music management is already set up in winamp. I've got hundreds of playlists, and having to make a new playlist inside UT seems like repeating the same task twice.... I dont see a good reason why Epic shouldn't make use of someone elses 3rd party program for music integration.

Aside from playlists, there's the equaliser and DSP functions, and Library. UT is never going to have these in its built-in player, so why not just link the game up to winamp and concentrate on making the game?

Here's a reason why not to use WinAmp.
    WinAmp is a big resource hog. Why would you want a game that takes up huge rescources, share processor cycles with a program that will just slow down your game for no reason.
    I'm seeing 9Mb and less than 1% processor usage when playing mp3s on my copy of winamp. Doesn't seem like a resource hog to me, at all.

There is really no reason to have UT2004 remotely interface with any outside audio player.
    I've just listed the reasons above.

The only feature I would like is to have UT play my playlists from startup instead of the default music being played.
    No ****. Well, that would work with winamp support, for a start.

Better than that, with winamp support, music would be continuous between loadings.

So you see, there are good reasons why including support might be desirable.

But the basic point is that you may as well offer this option to people who want it. It's NOT a lot of work, just a bit of DDE or OLE messing, I would wager. Leave issues like resource usage and what benefits you might get from it up to the people who want to use it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X