In-Game Winamp support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In-Game Winamp support

I've suggested this briefly before now, but wouldn't it be great if the game could interface with winamp, instead of just having its own built-in music player.

See, if it could work with winamp, it could turn the volume down when required, allow you to move between tracks, and basically still do all the stuff the in-game player does at the moment.

But it's much better if winamp is used. There's a TON more features in winamp than you could ever hope to bundle into an in-game music player.

So from the gamers point of view: Loads more flexibility with your ingame music, without compromising the 'mute sound' VoIP feature.

From Epic/DE/Atari's POV: This is an easy thing to do (relatively speaking). Why reinvent the wheel? Winamp is free, I'm 100% certain that nullsoft would LOVE UT to have winamp integration in it... and this doesnt have to interrupt the existing in-game player in the slightest... just switch to winamp support if winamp is loaded.

Anyone see a good reason not to do this?

What kind of features would you like the music player to have in UT? Do you want a visualizer or something? Your playing a game not attending a rock concert.

Here's a reason why not to use WinAmp.
    WinAmp is a big resource hog. Why would you want a game that takes up huge rescources, share processor cycles with a program that will just slow down your game for no reason.

There is really no reason to have UT2004 remotely interface with any outside audio player.

The only feature I would like is to have UT play my playlists from startup instead of the default music being played.

Comment

Originally posted by MF-BoltressHL2
      WinAmp is a big resource hog. Why would you want a game that takes up huge rescources, share processor cycles with a program that will just slow down your game for no reason.

There is really no reason to have UT2004 remotely interface with any outside audio player.
      agreed, that is the reaspon.

A built in equaliser and stuff would be nice yhough.

Comment

Oops, double post

Comment

I use "Winamp Key Controller" to control Winamp while I'm in game.

F1-F4 for Previous Track, Play, Pause, Next Track, and F5-F8 for multiple volume presets.

Comment

OGG = Free
            MP3 = Fee

Comment

Actually, if you use Winamp you lose the ability to have a separate music level. Winamp's volume adjusts the full system volume which is global across the board.

Comment

You keep listening to Danzig cranked up with Winamp while I flak u in da back...

Comment

Originally posted by Pezman
                  OGG = Free
                  MP3 = Fee
                  The hell does that have to do with anything? :bulb:

Comment

ROFL

i think its hilarious that DrSiN is trying to compare the best music player ever (winamp) to some crappy ogg player that he implemented into UT :haha:

I'm sorry but..... haha please make a player that doesn't suck and i'll shutup

don't get me wrong it's a great idea but it needs ALOT of work

Comment

All you winamp fanboys got owned by the devs, methinks. Two of them, at that...

:haha:

Comment

why not just use the Nullsoft Streaming Audio Format.
                        This would allow the streaming audio stored in an M3U playlist
                        to be utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalNoob
                          All you winamp fanboys got owned by the devs, methinks. Two of them, at that...

:haha:
                          wrong

Comment

All I want is for the engine to support mp3s so I cant just dump them all in the music folder, unless it already does and I dont know about it?

Comment

I use winamp...I stream music in the background. Even though it is streaming I somehow don't get a ping loss. Its messed up but it works so I don't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X