No announcement yet.

Dynamic Netspeed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fps was not capped in UT99 wich caused alot of lag. The best way for atleast UT99 is to synch fps with refreshrate. So if your monitor refreshes at 85hz then put netspeed to 5440 (85*64)and if it´s 100hz then use 6400. So the big question is do UT2k4 need a higher netspeed to get those 85fps or is 5440 enough? Also yeah symmetrical netspeed in online gaming is perhaps the most stupid thing ever invented.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleFlower
      Are you sure this was a question ? Or did you just want to show off ?
      Both kinda

Thx for the info though :up:

Comment

Anyone have any ideas here? I'd like to thank Koroush Ghazi for his great site and guides, but I think the jury still might be out on Dynamic Netspeed.
        I agree that the jury is still out. Trying to read between the lines of Koroush's article, I get the impression that he fooled around with it a bit and came to some conclusions that aren't backed up by any facts. It's very difficult to guage lag while playing and given the variability of the 'net, what you see on a server one minute might be a completely different story the next. Personally, I'm leaving the option un-checked until I get better info.

Following up on DJ_Virulent's comments, I think you're confused about the processor's role in all this. Increasing your netspeed does not put an increased load on your CPU. It simply informs the server how much data your 'net connection can handle. If you set it too low, the server will throw away data. You can't set it too high, and if you set it to a very high number, the server will ignore that and use it's own ceiling.

If netspeed taxes anything, it's your cable/dsl modem. The CPU has the same job as if you're playing offline against bots.

Comment

Originally posted by zer0kewl
          what best netspeed for 30 KB/s up 340 KB/s down
          You have to be more precise.

There is a huge difference between Kilo *BYTES* per second and Kilo *BITS* per second. In the good old times the difference was denoted by using uppercase for bytes, and lowercase for bits. 8 Kbps is 1 KBps. But also, raw bandwidth was *always* denoted in Kbps, never in KBps.

What is also very important is the type of technology you use. ISDN has much less overhead than ADSL or cable. And then there are different types of encapsulation with cable.

Then there is a difference in upstream packetsize between UT and UT2003 on the one hand, and UT2004 on the otherhand. I have no experience with UT2004, as I didn't buy the game, and I deleted the demo in disgust (because there is no change in CTF play, and the demomap doesn't give any hope for better CTF maps in the retail game).

I also read somewhere that netspeed is not tied to framerate anymore. I have no idea if this is true, and what the consequences are. If you know more, please let us know.

And then there is voicecom. I can't say how much bandwidth that uses.

If UT2004 indeed uses 40% less bandwidth for upstream than UT2003 did, then the upstream packetsize is 40 bytes. To transmit 40 bytes over ADSL, you need to transmit 2 ATM cells, which is 104 bytes. Mmmm, actually, that is about the same ratio as in UT2003/UT99.

So to make it easier for the low-speed ADSL users, use this table for reference:

Upstream ADSL speeds versus maximum netspeed, in UT2004:
          64 Kbps - netspeed 3120
          128 Kbps - netspeed 6240
          192 Kbps - netspeed 9360
          256 Kbps - netspeed 12480
          384 Kbps - netspeed 18720
          anything faster, just use netspeed 20000.

Note, this table is ONLY for ADSL. Note, in UT2004, netspeed 3120 should already be good enough for a framerate of 78. Note, this assumes your downstream speed is at least twice as fast as your upstream or else the downstream could cause a problem (for anything under 256 Kbps downstream).

If someone can tell me more about cable encapsulations (just the URL), I could compute these values for cable as well.

I would also appreciate it if someone could validated my assumption that upstream packets are 40 bytes long. Do F6, and keep an eye on packets out and bytes out. See (estimate) what the average values are, during battle, and let us know. Upstream packetsize = bytes out / packets out. Is it 40 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Satariel
            So if your monitor refreshes at 85hz then put netspeed to 5440 (85*64)and if it´s 100hz then use 6400. So the big question is do UT2k4 need a higher netspeed to get those 85fps or is 5440 enough?
            According to pre-release announcements, UT2004 was going to have a 40% reduction in upstream bandwidth. The only way I can think of how they implement that, is by reducing the upstream packetsize by 40%. So if upstream packets were 64 bytes, then now they should be around 40 bytes long. So if you have a refresh rate of 85, then set your netspeed to 3400.

Of course, a netspeed of 3400 is not enough for the server to keep you up to date on everything. On a tickrate 30 server, this would mean the server has only 113 bytes per packet to tell you about the state of the world. In UT99 you needed at least 250 bytes for each downstream packet.

This trick of setting netspeed to refreshrate * packetsize probably does not work anymore in UT2004. Maybe this is the reason why they decoupled netspeed from framerate ? Anyone got more info ? (I've long given up any developer coming here to enlighten us).

Comment

I thought upstream and downstream was symmetrical....

My other question is do you think increased net traffic from using a high netspeed could increase CPU load enough to effect framerates on older systems? P4 1.3, 384mb ram, GF4 4600ti 128mb, great cable bandwidth connection....

Thanks for all the info LittleFlower.:up:

Comment

i had dynamic netspeed on the whole time, i turned it off now, but wher edo i go to manually set it at 20000???

Comment

Just bring down the console and type:

netspeed 20000

But servers will cap it to the max netspeed the server allows.

It saves the setting to your user.ini under [engine.player] I think. You can also see what your netspeed is by pressing F6 incase the server caps it but I'm not 100% sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by ImJacksAmygdala
                    I thought upstream and downstream was symmetrical....
                    No. These depends on the layer1 and layer2 technologies used.

ADSL. Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Loop. The word says it. Upstream and downstream are asymmetrical. ADSL is just a variant of DSL. There are variants of DSL that are symmetrical, but they are not deployed often.

AFAIK most (if not all) cable systems are asymmetrical.

56K Modems are asymmetrical. They offer 56Kbps downstream, but only 33.6 Kbps upstream. This is why UT netspeed on 56k modems is limited to 2800 or so.

ISDN is symmetrical. 64 Kbps both ways.

Ethernet comes in many flavours. You can assume most ethernets are symmetrical. But because of the "broadcast" way of operation, it's a whole different story.

Serial lines are symmetrical. T1 (1.5 Mbps) and T3 (45 Mbps) in the US, and E1 (2 Mbps) and E3 (34 Mbps) in europe. But these types of lines are so expensive, only companies can afford them. Not home users.

Comment

No I meant I thought UT200X's netcode was symmetrical recieving and sending packets from server to client. I thought I read this somewhere, but I'm still learning, thanks for the great info.

Comment

My other question is do you think increased net traffic from using a high netspeed could increase CPU load enough to effect framerates on older systems? P4 1.3, 384mb ram, GF4 4600ti 128mb, great cable bandwidth connection....
                        No, I would be greatly surprised if that would be the case.

Note, for downstream, the amount of packets will not change. It is still the same as the tickrate of the server. The only effect is that the packets might become bigger, so they can store more information about what happens in the game. CPU power is mostly about processing the number of packets, not the size. And besides, just 30 or 50 packets per second is nothing for cpus made in the last 10 years. When you download a huge file, your PC is already processing hunderds of packets per second. I bet you won't notice when running non-network applications at the same time ....

For upstream, a higher netspeed does not mean bigger packets. It might mean more packets per second. But at netspeed 3400 is already enough for framerate of 85. If you have vsync on, or your PC won't go over 85 fps anyway, a higher netspeed won't matter for upstream, only downstream.

Thanks for all the info LittleFlower.:up:
                        You're welcome.

My only wish is that some people would validate my assumptions. (Are UT2004 upstream packets indeed 40 bytes ?)

Comment

No I meant I thought UT200X's netcode was symmetrical recieving and sending packets from server to client. I thought I read this somewhere, but I'm still learning, thanks for the great info.
                          Nope.
                          Upstream pps depends on your framerate.
                          Downstream pps depends on the tickrate of the server.

Comment

Working...
                          X